Chic dress code question for men

9 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Does a Hawaiian shirt qualify as button down shirt for Chic night ?

Not sure if shirt sleeves are allowed or not

Short sleeve shirts are allowed any evening as well as the Hawaiian print shirts. 

4 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

If you go strictly by the dress code, short or half sleeves are not included.  It will say "long sleeved shirts".  However,  I have never seen a man  turned away with a half or short sleeved shirt from a dining venue.  I wear half and short sleeved golf shirts with no problem.

There is no requirement for long sleeve shirts in the dress code. Evening chic is  described as "time to shine—your way". If Hawaiian shirts are your thing then go for it.

7 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

IMO no- the Hawaiian shirt is ok for other nights- But that is my opinion.   My DH will wear a shirt, tie and jacket- the ships, especially at night, are on the cold side-  However to each his/her own.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keesar said:

If you go strictly by the dress code, short or half sleeves are not included.  It will say "long sleeved shirts".  However,  I have never seen a man  turned away with a half or short sleeved shirt from a dining venue.  I wear half and short sleeved golf shirts with no problem.

Maybe the staff should go strictly by the suggested dress guidelines. I'm very familiar with Celebrity's suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening which no longer says "long sleeved shirts". I'm posting from my personal experiences concerning short sleeve shirts. Once evening chic was introduced I stopped bring my suit. I now only  wear golf/polo shirts with dockers every evening in the MDR (SD). Along with a lot of other guys. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

IMO no- the Hawaiian shirt is ok for other nights- But that is my opinion.   My DH will wear a shirt, tie and jacket- the ships, especially at night, are on the cold side-  However to each his/her own.

Enjoy your cruise.

Obviously not the opinion of the staff standing at the entrance to the MDR in the evening, no matter the evening. 

• Thanks 1

I know I an the odd man out here. But since I wear jeans and t-shirts for work everyday, I like to dress up. Always have. On a cruise I dress for dinner, meaning slacks, long sleeved shirt, a jacket, and maybe a tie; not because those are the requirements, but because I want to. I get times have changed, and people don't care to dress up anymore. However, I Was so disappointed on my last cruise on NCL (1 and only) where people showed up in the MDR wearing t-shirts, basketball shorts, flip flops, and ball caps. To each their own. Did it or will it affect my in long run, hell no. just not my style in MDR dining.

• Like 1

I have only been to 2 chic nights, but here is my observation for men's outfits:

60+ older men: dress like they are going to a ball

50-59: dress like they are going to a business meeting

40-49: dress like they are going to a casual wedding

40 and under: dress like they are going to a dance club

• Like 2

I have only been to 2 chic nights, but here is my observation for men's outfits:

60+ older men: dress like they are going to a ball
50-59: dress like they are going to a business meeting
40-49: dress like they are going to a casual wedding
40 and under: dress like they are going to a dance club

You’re killing me Smalls....I’m 52 and just went out and bought a new suit for chic nights on our March 21 Equinox sailing to the Western Caribbean.

Maybe I should reconsider my decision not to bring my tux or tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For a Caribbean cruise the Hawain shirt should be fine😃.  For my next three cruises this year  on Silhouette ex-Southampton and Buernos Aires I have bought a new dinner suite. My view is that it looks good and sorts out a couple of nights clothes. Have already bulled my boots to a shine ( ex-Army habit).

7 hours ago, Peter Cabot said:

You’re killing me Smalls....I’m 52 and just went out and bought a new suit for chic nights on our March 21 Equinox sailing to the Western Caribbean.

LOL- however, don't let a few opinions stop you from dressing as you please- Again cheesy Hawaiian shirts , outside of Hawaii,  are tacky at any age- but some people enjoy them!

7 hours ago, Peter Cabot said:

LOL.  Sorry.   This was 3 years back I think when chic night started for not too long.    The previous cruise I was on was supposed to be "black tie" formal night so  I rent a tux.   Turns out most people just wear a suit.  So this time I make sure to look at other people to see what they were wearing for future references.   I was on a Caribbean cruise too. 

Since the OP and others are talking about Chic night, it should be pointed out that Chic Night only applies to the Main Dining room, does not apply if you are in Luminae or Blu.   

Also applies to theater but that hasn't been enforced in years.  

12 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Since the OP and others are talking about Chic night, it should be pointed out that Chic Night only applies to the Main Dining room, does not apply if you are in Luminae or Blu.   

Also applies to theater but that hasn't been enforced in years.  

I don't think they enforce dress code even at the MDR.   I am pretty sure I saw a few guys wearing shorts and sandals on chic nights.   Not sure how they would enforce it... "Sir, you are not dressed chic enough, please go back to your room and change." 😄

3 minutes ago, lostchild said:

I don't think they enforce dress code even at the MDR.   I am pretty sure I saw a few guys wearing shorts and sandals on chic nights.   Not sure how they would enforce it... "Sir, you are not dressed chic enough, please go back to your room and change." 😄

They can enforce the no shorts rule, that's easy.  But then again we don't know the circumstances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostchild said:

In 2018, the gentleman immediately ahead of us when entering the MDR on Chic night was wearing slacks and a t-shirt. A very plain one, clean and ironed that went very nicely with the slacks. A staff member immediately approached him and advised him that the t-shirt was not allowed and that he would have to change if he wished to dine that night in the MDR. All done in a very low key manner, and I doubt that anyone else even noticed it as the passenger simply nodded his agreement and left.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:05 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

My husband wears at least a shirt, tie and jacket on chic nights. He feels more comfortable a bit on the overdressed side.

i don’t think a Hawaiian shirt would ever be appropriate in the dining rooms on chic night. I’ve seen a couple of men wear them, but I think they are underdressed. Other nights, yes.

I know it says no short sleeves, but you see that all time in the Caribbean and it doesn’t look out of place. Transatlantic is a bit dressier and cooler weather as well.

alaska, everyone is too tired to worry about what people are wearing, lol!

Edited by cangelmd
Misspelled