Will HAL now match Princess' new virus cancellation policy?

DaveOKC

Just got this from HAL:

For Existing Bookings: To give your clients peace of mind, Holland America Line is introducing a new Short Term Cancellation Policy on select cruises. For all departures between now and May 31, 2020, we are allowing guests the option of cancelling their booking no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date. However, this new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window. Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of their cancellation fee that can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by December 31, 2020. This applies to bookings on spring 2020 Land+Sea Journeys and cruises for all destinations. FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled. FCCs are non-commissionable; however, we will offer a $50 bonus re-booking commission per person. We have also made the decision to give your clients longer to make final payment for June 2020 sailings. For all June departures, final payment will now be due at 60 days prior to sailing date.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

As a thank you to currently booked guests who join us for their cruise as planned, up to and including departures through May 31, 2020, we will provide an Onboard Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages longer than 7 days and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages less than 6 days. This credit will be automatically applied to each eligible booking so you do not need to take any action.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Cruising.  Seth Wayne was on our NS cruise a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not on Facebook/Twitter etc so don't know what is being posted there.  Eventually there is expected to be a link on the HAL website but it will be some time down the road, we were told.

Oh I know it’s Seth Wayne, thanks 🙂 

I’m on FB and all he does is post publicity stuff.  And it’s only a couple of videos at the most.  I wouldn’t call him an ambassador.  If he were he would be posting something about all of this and that has not happened.

And any good ambassador would be coming on here and trying to reassure us.

I have another cruise booked with HAL and seriously considering cancelling it now.  Why should they have my money or risk losing the FCD?  Yup, I’m ticked and kazu is a pretty patient person most times.

I don’t need the turmoil knowing that they don’t act.  

2 minutes ago, Love2cruise77 said:

Just got this from HAL:

For Existing Bookings: To give your clients peace of mind, Holland America Line is introducing a new Short Term Cancellation Policy on select cruises. For all departures between now and May 31, 2020, we are allowing guests the option of cancelling their booking no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date. However, this new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window. Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of their cancellation fee that can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by December 31, 2020. This applies to bookings on spring 2020 Land+Sea Journeys and cruises for all destinations. FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled. FCCs are non-commissionable; however, we will offer a $50 bonus re-booking commission per person. We have also made the decision to give your clients longer to make final payment for June 2020 sailings. For all June departures, final payment will now be due at 60 days prior to sailing date.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

As a thank you to currently booked guests who join us for their cruise as planned, up to and including departures through May 31, 2020, we will provide an Onboard Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages longer than 7 days and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages less than 6 days. This credit will be automatically applied to each eligible booking so you do not need to take any action.

When is your cruise leaving?  Ours is April 6.

Bravo!! Now I can pass this info on to our very nervous mom and mil and they and their doctors can make an informed and appropriate choice for them. Thank you HAL!! 

And just fyi apparently JetBlue is taking this issue on a case by case basis. They are requesting customers PM them with their confirmation and details of their circumstances to have it evaluated. I think the fact the cruise lines are rolling with this unfortunate circumstance by being more open and understanding may force the airlines to do the same or look bad. Let's hope. 

My departure is April 4th on the Niuew Amsterdam (for 48 days) and I have not yet heard anything from HAL either. I so appreciate the shared information on this board to help inform our decision. I am very torn about whether to sail or not. However, knowing we have until the end of the month to see how this situation progresses both here and in Europe reduces my anxiety level (at least a little). 

AndreaB

Colorado

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I might just send that link to my PCC and see if she will confirm it!

Did it...

I just did - along with the 3 other "citations" of the new policy (after checking my email - no info; the roll call for the cruise - also no info).  So we are seeing "reports" of a new cancelation policy but I, as a booked passenger with outstanding questions as to this specific topic open with my PCC, have not received anything.  

31 minutes ago, Love2cruise77 said:

Just got this from HAL:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS 😄❤️ 

and yes, I am shouting as I am so thankful someone has information 🙂 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MARLEY225 said:

My departure is March 22nd.  I have NOT received one single message from Holland.  All my information has been gotten from all the wonderful people here on Cruise Critic!

I just sent off an email to my PCC asking to confirm this news. I know she is totally overwhelmed now but maybe she can just send me a line this afternoon or evening. There are some times I am sure all the PCCs and TAs look in the mirror and say "they really don't pay me enough for days like this." 😛

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

When is your cruise leaving?  Ours is April 6.

So.. why didn't everyone with cruises booked already get this?  It makes no sense that I'm getting better information here than the HAL website.  

But if this is all true.. I feel much better about my April 5th cruise.  I don't want to rush and cancel anything, alot can happen in a few weeks.  However, even if I feel the cruise itself is safe, if ports start closing I may want to cancel.

We are booked on a transatlantic departing on April 19 and terminating in Venice on May 15. I am glad to see the new cancellation policy but not surprised. I wonder if air booked through flight ease will also be refunded as FCC. Additionally, we prepaid for internet and some shipboard credit and would hope that those amounts would be simply refunded. While we will wait until close to March 31 to decide, I don't see a lot of hope that we will be confident enough to not cancel at that point but who knows? Questions, questions!

I am booked on the Zaandam 11-Day from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal.  We booked this while onboard the Eurodam in January.  I am also conscious when cruising about bring Lysol and washing my hands on a regular basis.  The Corona Virus is not going to stop me from enjoy a true pleasure in life.  On the bright side, my airfare has decreased and now I will be getting $200.00 in additional onboard credit.  It's important that HAL values its Mariners for keeping there cruise vacations.  We always buy travel insurance, and I know first hand that the medical care onboard any DAM ship is adequate in dealing with most illnesses.  

29 minutes ago, jayhawk66 said:

We are booked on a transatlantic departing on April 19 and terminating in Venice on May 15. I am glad to see the new cancellation policy but not surprised. I wonder if air booked through flight ease will also be refunded as FCC. Additionally, we prepaid for internet and some shipboard credit and would hope that those amounts would be simply refunded. While we will wait until close to March 31 to decide, I don't see a lot of hope that we will be confident enough to not cancel at that point but who knows? Questions, questions!

Sounds like you might be on our cruise 😉

I can answer one question for you.  If you prepaid anything - internet, dinners, tours, shipboard credit, whatever, it will all be refunded to your credit card where you charged it.  No problem at all.  It’s standard operating procedure.

I got the email from my travel agent at 5:00 this afternoon, with the information from HAL . 

My question is the amount that goes to FCC and cancellation amount, if according to the cruise contract we’re at 75%, then I’m better off using my CFAR policy and getting 90% cash back.

i really don’t won’t Seattle holding my money for that long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I got the email from my travel agent at 5:00 this afternoon, with the information from HAL . 

My question is the amount that goes to FCC and cancellation amount, if according to the cruise contract we’re at 75%, then I’m better off using my CFAR policy and getting 90% cash back.

For those that have HAL’s CFAR, then they have a choice to make.  Cash now or cruise credit later.  For those of us that have been in good health and just needed standard cancellation insurance (covid 19 wasn’t out when we hit final payment) this is a boon.

I’d rather have my money back but an FCC will do just fine and let’s me wait to see how things shake out. 😉 

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

For those that have HAL’s CFAR, then they have a choice to make.  Cash now or cruise credit later.  For those of us that have been in good health and just needed standard cancellation insurance (covid 19 wasn’t out when we hit final payment) this is a boon.

I’d rather have my money back but an FCC will do just fine and let’s me wait to see how things shake out. 😉 

I intend to wait till March 30 to make a decision. see if anything else develops. FWIW I may change my hotel in FLL as Embassy Suites now shows available. 

18 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

When is your cruise leaving?  Trying to get an idea of when we will receive The Email...   

i did email our PCC, but she is out until Monday.  

2 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I intend to wait till March 30 to make a decision. see if anything else develops. FWIW I may change my hotel in FLL as Embassy Suites now shows available. 

I don’t blame you one bit.  We have just over 3 weeks to see what’s happening and no longer be so worried. 😉 

We have bookings at both ES at Marriot Residence Inn Il Lugano.  I think we are going to go with the latter as it is more highly rated, less crowded and cleaner.

I love ES and haven’t had a bad experience but it’s a busy spot and with 6 ships in port, it’s going to be very busy with lots of people.  I am also concerned as I’ve heard from too many CC friends that their rooms were dirty and this is not the time to be in place that hasn’t been cleaned well.

The other one is a bit more of a taxi ride away but there is plenty around it and lovely views so I have a feeling we will be heading there this time.

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

When is your cruise leaving?  Trying to get an idea of when we will receive The Email...   

i did email our PCC, but she is out until Monday.  

I’m on the crossing with Jacqui April 19th

I'm confused.  We got standard trip insurance through a third party.  Is HAL going to refund us in Future Cruise Credit?  We're leaving on March 18th. 

The idea of getting stuck on the ship wondering if everyone I'm near has COVID-19, or staying in our cabin for 18 days doesn't appeal.  If we're going to stay in our cabin, we may as well be at home with reliable internet.

Called the TA an hour ago, and he said they were not offering anything, because they hadn't heard anything bad about any of their ships.