Will HAL now match Princess' new virus cancellation policy?

DaveOKC

17 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

I'm confused.  We got standard trip insurance through a third party.  Is HAL going to refund us in Future Cruise Credit?  We're leaving on March 18th. 

The idea of getting stuck on the ship wondering if everyone I'm near has COVID-19, or staying in our cabin for 18 days doesn't appeal.  If we're going to stay in our cabin, we may as well be at home with reliable internet.

Called the TA an hour ago, and he said they were not offering anything, because they hadn't heard anything bad about any of their ships.

Your TA needs to read HAL website. It’s right at the top of the page. 

Just saw a HAL’s new policy in Google. They will issue a FCC to pax who cancel cruises departing through May 31. Still kind of on the fence for our VOV Cruise mid July. Our final payment due in 5 days.

We are sailing Koningsdam to Alaska on June 13th. Our final payment was due on March 1st (big box TA). We have until March 13th to purchase HAL's CFAR insurance (which we intended to do). Here are my questions:

If HAL extends their cancellation policy for sailings beyond May 31st, will they refund the CFAR insurance? I'm ok with a FCC (instead of only receiving 90% back through the Platinum policy.)

Am I correct in assuming that once we cancel our trip, anything we pre-purchased (beverage package, additional OBC), is directly credited back to our CC?

I'm also on the Atlantic Coast repo 4/21 from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal.  I booked air on SW to FLL, so I know that if I cancel, I'll get a credit from them.  My biggest concern right now is booking air home from Montreal, which I've been holding off on doing.  I have an annual travel policy with Allianz and from what I read, they're not covering this "epidemic."  So if I book Air Canada home, and end up not sailing, I'm out the money (in the $300 range for economy with a "discounted" change fee).  Of course, I could buy a refundable economy ticket for a mere $1150! 😒

I really want to sail, so I'm standing pat for a bit.

I'm sailing solo.  If I go, would I get $100 or $200 OBC?

My TA's on a cruise right now (with poor internet) or I'd contact her.  Think she'll be back on Sunday.

My wife and I both have health issues that make exposure to the virus more troublesome so I reluctantly cancelled a cruise I really wanted to take to the Sea of Cortez. I had the Platinum Protection Plan and was more than 22 days prior to the start of the cruise. Most of my fare plus taxes and fees will be refunded to my credit card. Ten percent of the remaining, plus the cost of the Platinum Protection Plan, will be reimbursed by the FCC. I was pleased that  they even agreed to refund the cost of the plan. My big box cruise agent took care of everything for me in less than a half hour.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Former Non-cruiser said:

My wife and I both have health issues that make exposure to the virus more troublesome so I reluctantly cancelled a cruise I really wanted to take to the Sea of Cortez. I had the Platinum Protection Plan and was more than 22 days prior to the start of the cruise. Most of my fare plus taxes and fees will be refunded to my credit card. Ten percent of the remaining, plus the cost of the Platinum Protection Plan, will be reimbursed by the FCC. I was pleased that  they even agreed to refund the cost of the plan. My big box cruise agent took care of everything for me in less than a half hour.

Not sure I understand the part where the balance is being reimbursed by FCC. Can you explain.

12 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Not sure I understand the part where the balance is being reimbursed by FCC. Can you explain.

They are giving me future cruise credits (FCC) as per the policy they announced today for all my charges that the Platinum Protection Plan did not cover.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Deleted.  Misunderstood the question and it’s answered.  Sorry.

We're going to wait it out some more, we have HAL cfar, and we don't sail until April 15th, I would think they'd know a lot more by the end of the month. 

As to the onboard credit, a very nice gesture.

• Like 1

Just off the phone with HAL; wanted more clarification.   In my case, no insurance and payment of $11,673.  This total amount, if I choose to cancel, will be refunded as FCC.  I must do a new booking prior to end of this year.  I have lots of bookings, but this amount must be used toward a new booking only.  That being said, I have not made a decision yet; still have a few days.  I am due to board the Koningsdam for 44 days on March 15th.

My situation is I have to March 12th to cancel my May 15th cruise and only lose our $ 600.00 deposit   Based on what I  read above, the $ 600 will now become a future cruise credit that must be used by December 31, 2020 for a future cruise.

Just got this email from HAL - we are due to cruise on 27 April and won’t be cancelling at the moment.

Dear Holland America Line Guest, 

I want to personally thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your upcoming cruise. These continue to be unpredictable times, and I remain personally committed to ensuring our guests can cruise with confidence in this period of much uncertainty. Please be assured that Holland America Line takes the health and safety of our guests and crew very seriously.

To protect the health and safety of all on board, we are closely monitoring the evolving situation. Holland America Line has deep partnerships with the global health experts from the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and together, we have developed enhanced screening, prevention and control procedures for our ships to keep guests and crew safe. You can learn more about our enhanced pre-boarding and on board health protocols, along with other important information, from our Chief Medical Officer Dr. Grant Tarling, here.

Nevertheless, we understand our guests have questions about their upcoming cruise. As such, I’d like to share these policy updates that provide options and flexibility should you want to reschedule your vacation currently booked between now and May 31, 2020, as well as incentives to proceed with your plans.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 6 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit (OBC) amounts:

• $100 per stateroom ($50 per person) for 6-day cruises (or fewer)
  • $200 per stateroom ($100 per person) for 7-day and longer cruises

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your booking. There is no need to call us.

For guests who booked prior to March 6 and decide to change their vacation plans, we will allow those booked on sailings between now and May 31, 2020, the option of cancelling their booking (no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date). However, this new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window.

• Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee, which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021.
  • The FCC must be booked by December 31, 2020. This applies to bookings on spring 2020 Land+Sea Journeys and cruises for all destinations.
  • FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

I continue to believe that travel has the power to change us and our world. For 147 years, Holland America Line has been a recognized leader in cruising and weathered many storms. We look forward to introducing guests to new places, people and cultures for years to come.

Orlando Ashford
President, Holland America Line

• Like 1

I guess I am a bit confused.  Is the original total amount of the cost of your cruise refunded to you for a future cruise or only the amount you would be receiving back  if you are in a penalty phase - I am currently at the 50 percent penalty cancellation phase.  our cruise is scheduled for departure April 28 and we reach the 75 percent plateau March 16.  I was on hold with HAL for over 90 minutes earlier.   I have left a message with my TA but I am sure she has been swamped too.  Thanks for a simple explanation.  I feel that I am a reasonably smart person but for some reason I can't make heads or tails out of some of this business language!

5 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

I guess I am a bit confused.  Is the original total amount of the cost of your cruise refunded to you for a future cruise or only the amount you would be receiving back  if you are in a penalty phase - I am currently at the 50 percent penalty cancellation phase.  our cruise is scheduled for departure April 28 and we reach the 75 percent plateau March 16.  I was on hold with HAL for over 90 minutes earlier.   I have left a message with my TA but I am sure she has been swamped too.  Thanks for a simple explanation.  I feel that I am a reasonably smart person but for some reason I can't make heads or tails out of some of this business language!

As I understand it,  you will be refunded the non penalty amount plus taxes and fees to your method of payment. You will be given the amount of penalty as a FCC.  So if your cruise was $1000 before taxes and fees and your in the 50% penalty phase you would get a refund of $500 and a FCC for $500. 

Edited by ozzie0075

4 hours ago, Love2cruise77 said:

Just got this from HAL:

For Existing Bookings: To give your clients peace of mind, Holland America Line is introducing a new Short Term Cancellation Policy on select cruises. For all departures between now and May 31, 2020, we are allowing guests the option of cancelling their booking no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date. However, this new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window. Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of their cancellation fee that can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by December 31, 2020. This applies to bookings on spring 2020 Land+Sea Journeys and cruises for all destinations. FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled. FCCs are non-commissionable; however, we will offer a $50 bonus re-booking commission per person. We have also made the decision to give your clients longer to make final payment for June 2020 sailings. For all June departures, final payment will now be due at 60 days prior to sailing date.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

As a thank you to currently booked guests who join us for their cruise as planned, up to and including departures through May 31, 2020, we will provide an Onboard Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages longer than 7 days and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages less than 6 days. This credit will be automatically applied to each eligible booking so you do not need to take any action.

Can someone tell me where the above that I've underlined came from?? I don't see it on HAL's website. My final payment for our June 13th sailing from due on March 1st to the big box TA. It's sitting right now on my credit card, but I haven't paid it yet. I'm on hold right now with the big box TA hoping I can hold off making final payment until April 1st.

2 minutes ago, Kfrech said:

Can someone tell me where the above that I've underlined came from?? I don't see it on HAL's website. My final payment for our June 13th sailing from due on March 1st to the big box TA. It's sitting right now on my credit card, but I haven't paid it yet. I'm on hold right now with the big box TA hoping I can hold off making final payment until April 1st.

This appears to be from a communication sent directly to TAs.