Is Bacardi factory in PR worth it?

felton183

We have been to PR before but never the Bacardi factory, is it worth the $52 pp with the ship or should we try and find another group to go with.  Not to adventurous a group of 4 so we wouldn't do it on our own to save $.  Any other suggestions for things to do around the port, have been to the fort, rainforest and toured the city.

3 hours ago, felton183 said:

We have been to PR before but never the Bacardi factory, is it worth the $52 pp with the ship or should we try and find another group to go with.  Not to adventurous a group of 4 so we wouldn't do it on our own to save $.  Any other suggestions for things to do around the port, have been to the fort, rainforest and toured the city.

Not worth it......... take your $52.00 and have a great lunch on the roof at Milano...

I can't recall off the top of our head what we paid for the tour, but it also included a tour of San Juan by bus. Here's what I said about it in my review of the cruise: "We made it out to the Bacardi factory at 10:40 and we had 2 hours before meeting up with the bus for the trip to the airport. Our guide gave us our souvenir cups and tickets for free drinks and pagers that would let us know when it was time to board the tram for our tour. We received a small rum punch at the welcome center and after a short wait our pagers went off. The tour took about 45 minutes or so and concluded in the gift shop. While shopping we were given a sample of rum that had been aged 8 years. We bought a few things and then went back to the welcome center. We turned in our drink ticket to get our cup filled with one of three classic cocktails. We were going to go into the restaurant to grab lunch but while we were sitting in the Pavilion a waitress brought us a menu so we just stayed put. We each had a flat bread chicken pesto that was very nice."

We did enjoy the tour.

21 hours ago, felton183 said:

Hi Felton

You don't need to be very adventurous to get there on your own. It's just a short ferry ride across the harbor, then a very short taxi ride from there. There are always taxis waiting. 

With the entry to the facility at $15 and $0.50 for the ferry you can see for 4, you would be saving much more than $, more like $$$. 

If you are interested just look on their website. I did a tour there a few years back and enjoyed myself. I would hesitate to say that it  would be "worth" $52 each. 

have a great cruise

If the cruise excursion is offering something more than that basic tour, like a full tasting (like a wine tasting) then maybe if that interests you. For just the basic tour. We just did it. The ferry dock is right next to the cruise dock and $1 round trip. There were taxi vans waiting that loaded everyone up - It was one price for 1-4 people or $3 pp for 4 or more each way. So, if less than 4 of you just chat up someone on the ferry and walk out there together.

Tour is $15 nd includes one drink. They give you a pager to wait for your tram. The tram ride is very short you can see most of it from the bar.ticket area. They took you to the visitors center and told you about the history and the process and had some displays to look at. They explained the different rums but no tasting or samples. Then, of course, ends in a gift shop.

They also have a $50 seated tasting and a mixology class. 

We enjoyed the $15 tour but you didn't see the working distillery inside, just replicas. We would have like the opportunity to have some samples but it was only on the $50 tour.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The tour itself is not that interesting. Just some pictures and some old equipment. You do not see rum being made or bottled. If you have a two to three hours and take the ferry, $15 for the tour and a few bucks for transportation is reasonable. Use the tour as filler and not the main reason for your visit.

• 1 month later...

We were there in 2014 and I don't think they charged anything for the tour. The ferry ride was a couple dollars. We enjoyed our drinks at the outdoor bar area at the Bacardi facility. We started the tour and it was freezing cold and we decided we didn't want to do it so we left.😁 I would say definitely do it on your own unless there are time constraints and you feel more comfortable with the ship tour.

Edited by shark&minnow
to correct date

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, shark&minnow said:

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

We have been here twice. Both times was before the started charging. You were able to take a tour of the history of Bacardi and then they gave each person drinking age 3 drink coupons. We had a nice time both times. Not too sure i would pay to go back. Although the shop was a great place to purchase Rum from. Best Mojito's ever.