New NCL cancellation policy 3/6/2020

justhappy

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

If you didn't take advantage of the offer when it was valid, you don't meet the terms and you are under the terms of the contract you originally signed.  So in reality, the only people who have a claim to that offer are those who booked while it was in effect or anyone who was at 120 days at that time.

By the same token, under the terms of the contract you did sign, your deposit and any pre-paid expenses should be fully refundable and you could have a case with your CC if you don't get your refund.

Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to modify the policy at any time. Any changes will be communicated.

It's anybody's guess how they do their notifications

Offer was taken advantage of . NCL changed the terms to 90 days.  New 90 day PIF date was on Vacation Summary and then they changed the terms again to back to 120 days and did so without contacting anyone about the change. 

• Like 1

i was under the impression we could cancel up to 2 days before the cruise and get a full credit for future booking , and airlines are letting ppl change flights and dates with no fee 

Edited by seaman11

5 hours ago, Roadrage00 said:

I'm hoping that with ships sitting empty for the next few months and people unsure about getting on a boat soon - that cruise lines will be behind booking pace for the next 6-18 months, thus not really allowing them to inflate prices, at least in the short term.  Add a stock market crash to the scenario.. and they're probably going to need to throw out a lot of incentives just to get people back on board.. but we will see.

...or they could end up in bankruptcy if your hopes materialize...

37 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i was under the impression we could cancel up to 2 days before the cruise and get a full credit for future booking , and airlines are letting ppl change flights and dates with no fee 

The bit about NCL cruises is true. Airlines are only allowing changes with no fees on very specific flights to specific areas.

36 minutes ago, blcruising said:

...or they could end up in bankruptcy if your hopes materialize...

Oh yeah... that’s exactly what my post said.  🙄

No - actually what my post said was that I hope that they don’t INFLATE RATES to compensate for allowing people to cancel & rebook.  

Seriously?

3 minutes ago, Roadrage00 said:

Oh yeah... that’s exactly what my post said.  🙄

No - actually what my post said was that I hope that they don’t INFLATE RATES to compensate for allowing people to cancel & rebook.  

Seriously?

I see. You expressed a hope that bookings would be behind schedule for the next year so they couldn't inflate prices. You then proposed a stock market crash creating a need to provide extra booking incentives to get people to sail.

I acknowledged that scenario could lead to bankruptcy, and I'll stand by that.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The bit about NCL cruises is true. Airlines are only allowing changes with no fees on very specific flights to specific areas.

i got an email from untied that if you book between march 3rd and 30th no fees to change it . all fights

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-airlines-are-waiving-flight-change-fees-because-of-the-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-03-03

• 3 weeks later...

Question... We are booked on NCL Jewel 5/25 departure from Vancouver but I am reading that the Vancouver port will not allow ships to dock from there prior to July 1. IF that is the case, then why is NCL still selling this cruise? And it looks like if we decide to cancel we get a FCC but if we request a refund, we have to basically sign away any future 20% off sale with NCL. Am I reading that correctly? wow.. Any input would really be helpful. I am really confused.. thanks everyone

travelinmama, here's a quick summary which I hope can help you:

By law, you are entitled to a 100% refund if the cruise is canceled.  You have a right to get that refund, of course.

NCL is trying to entice people NOT to take that refund by offering 125-150% future cruise credit (FCC) in lieu of the refund.  Additionally, if you take the FCC *and* rebook by April 10th, you also get a 20% discount on whatever you book.

However, this 20% off thing is a trick.  Go take a look at the prices.  They're all artificially high.  Why?  Because they're trying to screw the suckers who take the FCC, figuring that they are the most likely ones to be booking reservations at this point.  The April 10th deadline for getting the 20% is simply because they don't want to keep the fares artificially high forever, so they're trying to concentrate rebookings into that window.

There's also the concern that NCL will cease to exist if they are not able to run cruises for awhile, or that they will cease to exist if there simply isn't enough interest in cruising to continue selling enough space on the ship.

In any case, one would be making a HUGE MISTAKE to book anything right now, even with this 20% discount.  The prices are set WAY WAY WAY artificially high.  Once they start sailing again, the prices will fall big time, because the free market would never support such prices, given the situation.

My advice?  Take the cash refund.

If you want to gamble, take the inflated FCC, but do not rebook until they start sailing again, and the prices fall very low (because of the public's lack of interest in cruising).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pokerpro5 said:

By law, you are entitled to a 100% refund if the cruise is canceled.  You have a right to get that refund, of course.

NCL is trying to entice people NOT to take that refund by offering 125-150% future cruise credit (FCC) in lieu of the refund.  Additionally, if you take the FCC *and* rebook by April 10th, you also get a 20% discount on whatever you book.

However, this 20% off thing is a trick.  Go take a look at the prices.  They're all artificially high.  Why?  Because they're trying to screw the suckers who take the FCC, figuring that they are the most likely ones to be booking reservations at this point.  The April 10th deadline for getting the 20% is simply because they don't want to keep the fares artificially high forever, so they're trying to concentrate rebookings into that window.

There's also the concern that NCL will cease to exist if they are not able to run cruises for awhile, or that they will cease to exist if there simply isn't enough interest in cruising to continue selling enough space on the ship.

In any case, one would be making a HUGE MISTAKE to book anything right now, even with this 20% discount.  The prices are set WAY WAY WAY artificially high.  Once they start sailing again, the prices will fall big time, because the free market would never support such prices, given the situation.

If you want to gamble, take the inflated FCC, but do not rebook until they start sailing again, and the prices fall very low (because of the public's lack of interest in cruising).

This is, by some distance, the best summary I have read across many threads on the cash v's FCC topic....well written, and accurately expressing NCL strategy.....

Edited by hamrag

Try and wait for NCL TO CANCEL. They are stalling to buy themselves time to deal with the thousands of passengers that were cancelled before us. I am waiting too (4/17 cruise Tahiti - Hawaii)

Our Cruise is obviously going to have to be cancelled as well due to Tahiti shutting down all flights until 5/1. Hawaii is also imposing a 14 day quarantine on visitors. 

I know it’s maddening at this point that they are not giving us a straight answer. Trust me this is driving me bonkers! We just need to try our best to wait it out until it’s our turn 🦋

Edited by Jewelcookie

10 hours ago, travelinmama said:

Question... We are booked on NCL Jewel 5/25 departure from Vancouver but I am reading that the Vancouver port will not allow ships to dock from there prior to July 1. IF that is the case, then why is NCL still selling this cruise? And it looks like if we decide to cancel we get a FCC but if we request a refund, we have to basically sign away any future 20% off sale with NCL. Am I reading that correctly? wow.. Any input would really be helpful. I am really confused.. thanks everyone

We too are on that selling we have canceled flights, tours, hotels private excursions and believe the cruise will be canceled. Then we will take the 125 percent FCC the 20 percent off if still available and rebook same cruise end of August hopefully prices are not inflated and things better. If not then reschedule but staying positive 

Have you received any kind of notification about any changes or the whole issue with the port? I have received absolutely nothing except for an email about 3 weeks ago explaining about the peace of mind policy or whatever it is. I'm assuming they are dealing with April cruises now and then once we get more into April then deal with May. I just talked to one of the young men that we had a kayaking tour scheduled with in Ketchikan and I feel so bad for this kid. It sounds like his business is just crumbling around him. He seems like a good kid too He really does but he said in this past week alone he has received so many calls just canceling tours.

17 minutes ago, travelinmama said:

I'm just wondering why they're still selling tickets for that cruise. Especially since it's Vancouver that apparently closed all ports through July 1st

did you actually try to do a mock booking?  I've been hearing that for some of these cruises that everyone knows can't happen due to port closures and such that if you actually try to select a room, none are available.  

But I agree, they shouldn't actually be selling if indeed they are.

Norwegian will not give me a refund for a cruise leaving Puerto Rico on March 22. I am 70 and my husband has health conditions. We were concerned and cancelled on March 10th. That was a couple of days before the Peace of Mind policy came out. Not only do we have to take a cruise credit but we do not qualify for the top up. I believe we are being treated unfairly compared to other cruise lines. Very disappointed. 

• Like 1

Have you received any kind of notification about any changes or the whole issue with the port? I have received absolutely nothing except for an email about 3 weeks ago explaining about the peace of mind policy or whatever it is. I'm assuming they are dealing with April cruises now and then once we get more into April then deal with May. I just talked to one of the young men that we had a kayaking tour scheduled with in Ketchikan and I feel so bad for this kid. It sounds like his business is just crumbling around him. He seems like a good kid too He really does but he said in this past week alone he has received so many calls just canceling tours.

Ninihix I am so sorry that happened to you especially since you were simply trying to protect yourself and trying to avoid getting sick at all costs. I've had other issues with NCL which sadly I have never had before. everything I have gone through over the last few months has put a very sour taste in my mouth for cruising. Did you happen to use a credit card that might have some kind of travel insurance associated with it? Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I am fearful that they will force us to take FCC so I'm hoping and praying that they will offer a full refund in cash if they are the ones to cancel. Again I'm sorry that you had to experience that. And I know it's quite a chunk of money too 😢

7 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

NCL told me yesterday they are dealing with cancellations 30 days at a time.  I believe right now cruises are cancelled until 4/11 so I would not plan on hearing of other cancellations until then.

That would be in direct contradiction to the poorly worded, March 7 letter from Harry Sommer....

....at the current time, our plans are to avoid any area that is denoted as a ‘Level 4 -  do not travel’  area by the State Department at the time of voyage.   We will modify any itinerary visiting those areas approximately  30 days prior to arrival date to avoid last minute changes....

Thanks to everyone who submitted replies. It sounds like we are literally all in the same boat. No pun intended. Honestly when it comes to traveling again, it will be a lot easier to remember the air lines and the cruise lines which were a lot more lenient and a lot more understanding

23 hours ago, PATRLR said:

did you actually try to do a mock booking?  I've been hearing that for some of these cruises that everyone knows can't happen due to port closures and such that if you actually try to select a room, none are available.  

But I agree, they shouldn't actually be selling if indeed they are.

No, I didn't .. it just popped up on the page when I searched but I didn't follow and click on any cabins etc

On 3/27/2020 at 1:44 AM, pokerpro5 said:

travelinmama, here's a quick summary which I hope can help you:

Thanks so much. I also saw that they are making you sign a form saying you are no longer entitled to the 20% off (was this a discount for past cruisers? )if you take the cash..wow.