USA to discourage cruise ship travel

BermudaBound2014

I'll bet dollars to donuts this is a direct result of yesterdays conference. Check your trip insurance.

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment 

See link in above post

4 hours ago, jhaagens said:

This is the sticking point for us as well, and if they adjust their cancellation policies, we will probably take advantage of them.  I'm not worried about getting sick --  I AM a little worried about getting STUCK on a cruise ship or in a subsequent quarantine, unable to return to our family for a lengthy period of time.

Thinking the same.  Also, since we are both from the Seattle area, wondering if coming from that area will trigger denial for boarding.

If Seattle gets much worse, could see this as possibility. We really want to go and are holding off making a final decision for now. We have already made final payment for cruise in June from Germany to Iceland.

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:
U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. #CDC notes increased risk of #COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking.

I am a contrarian, by nature, and until today had considered booking an April TA cruise that ended in Amsterdam.  But after listening to Dr. Anthony Fauci's comment, on Meet the Press, there is no way we will any longer consider booking a new cruise embarking the next few months.  In my previous work life I was involved with programs which helped those with HIV/AIDS and Dr. Fauci had built an amazing reputation as a straight shooter who is also one of the more brilliant scientists when it comes to infectious diseases.  His comments this morning, similar to what is posted on the State Dept. site, leaves me no doubt that seniors would be well advised to avoid cruise ships for, at least the next few months.    I should also add that Dr. Fauci is a key member of the President's COVID-19 task force so he is working with some of the best available information.

Hank

• Like 3

So much gloom. Here's some good news.

New daily cases in China now down to 100 plus. Korea's new cases falling to 300+. Now just 3% of tests, down from 5% last week.

China will be taking a victory lap soon, after 3 months. Korea saw a surge in cases after Feb 17th, and I hope that they have good news in April.

Europe is beginning their outbreak, and their job is to prevent the various outbreaks from cascading into a continental epidemic. Total confirmed infections now 11k. Dead 366 in Italy, only 44 dead Rest Of Europe. Why such a high death rate in Italy? Can they declare Victory in Europe by May?

The USA is problematic. No one knows how many are really infected. They should be able to do 10k tests a day 'soon'. Will they need to do 100k tests daily? Personally, I'm staying clear of USA till at least June. COVID19 should become dormant in summer.

Yes, cruise and airline companies are in trouble. Yes, decisive action could restore cruising by autumn. The eyes of the world are now on Europe and USA.

• Like 1

First I've heard of talk to actually banning USA citizens from cruising and banning cruise ships from US waters.

"Administration officials have debated whether to effectively ban Americans' use of cruise ships for the duration of the crisis, another individual said, which could include steps to limit cruise ships’ access to U.S. waters."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/09/azar-cruise-ship-shutdown-coronavirus-124645

ps: I have not triangulated the Politico article yet

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I know MSC doesn't go to Hawaii, but Hawaii has called for a temporary cruise ship ban

Hawaii Lt. Gov. Josh Green called Monday for a 60-day pause in cruise ship tours to Hawaii while the coronavirus epidemic spreads throughout the United States

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/hawaii-updates-what-were-learning-about-coronavirus-today#stream/0

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

So much gloom. Here's some good news.

New daily cases in China now down to 100 plus. Korea's new cases falling to 300+. Now just 3% of tests, down from 5% last week.

China will be taking a victory lap soon, after 3 months. Korea saw a surge in cases after Feb 17th, and I hope that they have good news in April.

Europe is beginning their outbreak, and their job is to prevent the various outbreaks from cascading into a continental epidemic. Total confirmed infections now 11k. Dead 366 in Italy, only 44 dead Rest Of Europe. Why such a high death rate in Italy? Can they declare Victory in Europe by May?

The USA is problematic. No one knows how many are really infected. They should be able to do 10k tests a day 'soon'. Will they need to do 100k tests daily? Personally, I'm staying clear of USA till at least June. COVID19 should become dormant in summer.

Yes, cruise and airline companies are in trouble. Yes, decisive action could restore cruising by autumn. The eyes of the world are now on Europe and USA.

We are waiting but by the end of March we may just book a different trip to Scotland on the ground no cruise we have a May 3rd trip now

Edited by BHBillH

Actually, the article I posted about hawaii was unintentionally misleading. The gov can’t ban cruise ships. For clarity-

"We don't have the authority to ban cruise ships. The Coast Guard is pretty strict about what they are looking at. As you know, they did ban any cruise ships that sailed in China and I'm certain that the CDC and the Coast Guard are talking all the time about increased restrictions on both cruise ships and air travel," Ige said.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/what-hawaii-can-and-cant-do-it-copes-first-coronavirus-case#stream/0

I still find it Interesting that the conversation is on the table and if i had a hawaii cruise planned in the near future I would want to keep an eye on this.