If you just sailed - Let future cruisers know about your experience

Boscodog

We cannot decide whether or not to cancel our March 15 Edge cruise.  Perhaps hearing cruisers who recently disembarked within the last week, (late February - early March) can help us make this decision.

We booked during that great Veteran’s Day sale and would really hate to cancel this trip that we have been looking forward to the cruise and experiencing the Edge.

Any comments would be appreciated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boscodog said:

We cannot decide whether or not to cancel our March 15 Edge cruise.  Perhaps hearing cruisers who recently disembarked within the last week, (late February - early March) can help us make this decision.

We booked during that great Veteran’s Day sale and would really hate to cancel this trip that we have been looking forward to the cruise and experiencing the Edge.

You will likely have more information on either your roll call or Edge reviews.

Canceling today has more to do with you and your comfort level in cruising than anything else. Celebrity will do everything it can to provide a great and safe experience. A good thing is Edgeclikely not to be full.

• Thanks 1

We left the Reflection March 2nd. Other than the extra questions that were asked before boarding, there was little talk of coronavirus. It was a wonderful cruise and felt perfectly normal—there actually seemed to be fewer coughing/sniffling passengers than usual.

My husband and I are both high-risk (immunocompromised) people and didn’t find the cruise or flights any scarier than any other public gathering. I’m only truly safe if I stay in my house—which I’ll do if things get worse, of course—but I honestly didn’t feel our trip was any more risky than attending an NHL game or whatever.

I have another cruise booked for March 30 and haven’t decided yet whether to cancel. I’m going to see how things have progressed by then. If it were leaving today, I would go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boscodog said:

I came off the Equinox two weeks ago.  We had a great cruise.  Crew was busy cleaning railings, elevator buttons, etc.   What we did was to try to avoid the buffet as we saw fellow cruisers who were obviously ill touching the serving utensils. We had breakfast and dinner in Blu.  For lunch, we did the Aqua Spa Cafe and the Mast Grill.  We avoided the self-serve venues as much as possible. I was surprised that cruisers were allowed to serve themselves as we had been on cruises when Noro was present and staff served us at the buffet.

There is a lot going around this time of year in terms of illnesses.  I was not ill during the cruise but a couple of days after arriving back home, I came down with a cough, runny nose, fatigue  and fever.  It lasted for 2-3 days and I had a quick recovery.  

9 hours ago, Boscodog said:

We were on the Edge for Valentines cruise, so disembarked Feb 16- so just the very beginning of the media hoopla about Covid-19.

DH and I both noticed there were many fewer people hacking and coughing on the planes and then on the ship. 

There was no special cleaning going on, but it was too early.

Wash your hands - often - avoid crowded elevators as much as you can. 

We just disembarked the Equinox this morning.  I must admit every now and then we were somewhat worried.  I am relieved we are in the car now driving home.  Unfortunately, with all the cruise ships based in Florida, I think it’s only a matter of time...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, az_tchr said:

You will likely have more information on either your roll call or Edge reviews.

Canceling today has more to do with you and your comfort level in cruising than anything else. Celebrity will do everything it can to provide a great and safe experience. A good thing is Edgeclikely not to be full.

Actually, I'm with the OP on this one.

The reviews sometimes take weeks to post, and some people don't like doing them.

A quick line or two after the cruise would be very helpful....at least to me.  My upcoming cruise is March 29.

• Like 3

Disembarked the Equinox Feb. 29th. Had a great cruise . The problem is returning home. We live in a small community and not knowing if we are carriers somehow bothers us. From visiting my parents in their middle 90"s , family, grandchildren, friends and going back to work , there is always the "what if" in our mind.. All this to say that if I had a chance to cancel and re-book our vacation , it would be a non-brainer. We would have waited this epidemic out. Our true feelings... Can't wait for that 14 days to be over...

• Like 1

We came off our Caribbean cruise on  the Summit last week. Waiting for my review to post. To answer the OP question.  We were first time cruisers so can't compare BUT...we had a terrific time and the officers and crew could not have been nicer.  The sanitary precautions seemed reasonable. Purel at every deck, crew standing by to offer you 'a squirt' when you left or came back onto the ship, and sinks for hand washing at the buffet. I would not be presumptuous enough to tell anybody what to do but we really enjoyed our cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mafig said:

Actually, I'm with the OP on this one.

The reviews sometimes take weeks to post, and some people don't like doing them.

A quick line or two after the cruise would be very helpful....at least to me.  My upcoming cruise is March 29.

Hey mafig, I believe you were waiting for my report on Sky Suite luggage dropoff. We boarded Equinox today and dropped off our luggage at the Priority dropoff with no problems. 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Hey mafig, I believe you were waiting for my report on Sky Suite luggage dropoff. We boarded Equinox today and dropped off our luggage at the Priority dropoff with no problems. 😉

Thank you so much for remembering.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.❤️

• Thanks 1

We got off Reflection last Monday. No problems at all. 

My fear is less about getting sick than being quarantined in a stateroom with X’s crappy television selections. 😁

But seriously, I have actually gotten sick on our last four cruises, either a cold or the flu. This time I was resolved to catch nothing and I didn’t. Fastidious about hand washing, never took an elevator (something I do every time), never touched a railing on the stairs, avoided people who were sick. 

Four of us were traveling together and one of the four got sick two days before the cruise ended. Even though I had dinner sitting next to that person, drove from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa, flew on a plane all the way to Seattle with that person in the seat in front of me on the plane, the prevention my wife and I practiced seems to have worked. We both feel great almost a week later. (Knock on wood). 

Just be safe. You will be fine. Our next cruise is late April, west coast on HAL. Still planning on going. Then Galapagos on Flora in August. Figure that’s probably a great place to be.

Jim

17 hours ago, Boscodog said:

What concerns do you have? 

28 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Anyone board yesterday or today with the new prescreening? Was it a lot longer to get on?

If its any help, I saw a FB live with John Heald and he showed their extra screening process of using laser thermometers (I thought they were infared, but could be something different) and folks were only held up boarding by a few seconds.  

We're on the EDGE right now having a great time.  No issues that we're aware of.  Crew cleaning constantly all with a smile & greeting for you! Captain Kate had Q&A today & said we could encounter additional screening when we disembark on Sunday!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, coconut telegraph said:

If its any help, I saw a FB live with John Heald and he showed their extra screening process of using laser thermometers (I thought they were infared, but could be something different) and folks were only held up boarding by a few seconds.  

Thank you! Boarding Monday so hopefully it will go smooth!!! 

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

What concerns do you have? 

My main concern (which is unknown) is not being allowed off the ship after 7 days and enduring what the Princess cruisers are going through.  I am not worried about catching the virus and plan on using good cleanliness judgement such as washing my hands, using hand sanitizer etc.  it’s a call we have to make for ourselves.

We are leaning towards going as we will be in Florida.

2 hours ago, cbfb said:

Anyone board yesterday or today with the new prescreening? Was it a lot longer to get on?

The temperature screening took about ten seconds.  We boarded silhouette at 11, no delays but there have been several issues not related to the ongoing virus concerns.

Avoid areas where that “Typhoid Mary” lawyer had been or any person he came in contact with.   He traveled from Israel (many cases especially if you count those held i. Palestinian areas.   He spread it to his whole family, his best friend and his family, his Rabbi and others who were in the Synagogue and at the events he attended including a gathering for a boys 13th birthday.   His son’s school is now closed and his other son’s college.   He also traveled through Grand Central Station and on the trains to his home.

I hope everyone who has this virus is not as contagious as this lawyer.    Definitely avoid travel to Israel right now.

2 hours ago, Boscodog said:

My main concern (which is unknown) is not being allowed off the ship after 7 days and enduring what the Princess cruisers are going through.  I am not worried about catching the virus and plan on using good cleanliness judgement such as washing my hands, using hand sanitizer etc.  it’s a call we have to make for ourselves.

We are leaning towards going as we will be in Florida.

The cruise(s) before yours could have zero issues and your cruise could be hit by COVID-19 and quarantined. Roll of the dice. All you can do is practice the same precautions you always do and hope for the best. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Argo. said:

The temperature screening took about ten seconds.  We boarded silhouette at 11, no delays but there have been several issues not related to the ongoing virus concerns.

Thank you for the update and I am so sorry your cruise is having so many issues. I read it was returning to port again. 

Just off Summit today and hubby and I had a wonderful time. The only difference we noticed was when we were checking in at the pier, we were asked if we'd been to China, Iran, etc recently and the Celebrity rep actually flipped through our passports to make sure we didn't have stamps from affected countries. Otherwise, we noticed the usual hard work of staff around the ship cleaning hand rails, elevator buttons, etc, and of course they were making announcements encouraging lots of hand washing and using the hand sanitizer. We really didn't hear any guests on board talking about the virus - I guess we all figured if we were already on the ship, we'd made up our minds to take our chances (which was really not a concern for my husband and I - as I'm sure has been mentioned on here before, we're at more risk of getting the flu than we are of this virus...and really, the amount of alcohol we consumed probably killed any germs, lol). All the major cruise lines are now offering last minute cancellation policies where you'll get full credit to move to another cruise so now you have the option to move your sailing without penalty. It's not a fun vacation if you're worried about getting sick or quarantined the whole time!