U.S Gov considering discourage travelers from cruising WOW

One would think that people in high risk catagories wouldn't need the government to tell them what they should do, considering there's a flu season every year that they have to deal with, but I guess there are still some risk-takers out there.  Also, I think the perception is that a lot of elderly people cruise and at least some of them fall into a high-risk group because of advanced age and health issues.

If you look at Worldometer.com and scroll down to the write ups of increased cases, there are a lot that say new case in X city was passenger on cruise ship.

The cruise lines are starting to help make this go nation wide.

1 hour ago, HalfHand said:

If you look at Worldometer.com and scroll down to the write ups of increased cases, there are a lot that say new case in X city was passenger on cruise ship.

And airplanes are (have been) taking it globally.  Cruise ships aren't to blame, they just provide a small community in close quarters an increased chance of sharing the virus.  

• Like 2

It is sensible to warn the people with the highest mortality rate from this virus about travelling until we have better control of the spread, treatment, etc. of the virus.  Maybe they should know themselves, but some need warnings.  

The true death rate--per an article in the NE Journal of Medicine this week--many end up being much less than it seems to be now due to many people not being tested who may have the virus in a mild form and other factors.  

Cruise ships are petri dishes for spreading stuff--look at the spread of flu and the norovirus for examples.  A lot of people in close proximity for an extended period of time. 

I will cruise in April since I am not in the group that seems most at risk but I would not do so if I had a significant risk factor...at least until more is known.

I am one of those being discouraged from traveling because I have a compromised immune system. I have a cruise booked in September 2020 and I'm excited to go. I'm taking the regular flu-season precautions and ramping them up a bit. 

I am avoiding other places that lots of people congregate - like concerts. I'm sad about that because two of my favorite bands are playing locally in May, but I don't think the COVID-19 thing will be over by then so I didn't buy tickets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HalfHand said:

Airlines have had a much bigger impact in the spread of the virus.

The thing I don’t get, is the idea to not cruise? The same people should be calling for concerts, sporting events and likely businesses to close and every one stay at home till it is under control. Otherwise the argument is just being anti cruising and see this a lot on social media. Who knows it may come to the world being shut down for x days , time will tell.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HalfHand said:

That's only because it's easy to pin point it from a cruise ship that isn't allowed to disembark passengers. The reality is that the airlines are the ones spreading it nation wide but there is no proof because  the passengers aren't quarantined for 14 days like on the cruise ships. 

• Like 1