Cruise Credit & Calculation and use of FCC (merged)

chromered7

4 minutes ago, Epicureangirl said:

You better go see what Princess is offering their cruisers.   I hope Azamara will do better.  Offering a 25% cruise credit for the cancellation on the 17th is absolutely not enough

https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/voluntary-60-day-pause-of-global-ship-operations.pdf

It's 125%, or 100% if one chooses a refund.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.   Azamara cancelled, is giving 100% refund and a 25% future cruise credit for my sail date.  If I were sailing with Princess, I could still get a 100% refund but they would also give me 100% future cruise credit.

For clarification, this is not a situation where I voluntarily cancelled and accepted a 100% cruise credit.  I was on a sailing date where Azamara cancelled the cruise and gave us 25% cruise credit and a refund.

Edited by Epicureangirl

44 minutes ago, Epicureangirl said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.   Azamara cancelled, is giving 100% refund and a 25% future cruise credit for my sail date.  If I were sailing with Princess, I could still get a 100% refund but they would also give me 100% future cruise credit.

For clarification, this is not a situation where I voluntarily cancelled and accepted a 100% cruise credit.  I was on a sailing date where Azamara cancelled the cruise and gave us 25% cruise credit and a refund.

Ah, I read it you interpreting Princess's policy.

19 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Dear Bromley,

I am unprepared to answer questions just yet. But given your cruises are in August 2020 and beyond, I ask for your patience.

I'm sure there will be plenty of updates well before you're within final payment. 

Please ask me again when we get close to that date, if you haven't had your questions answered.

And thank you for your loyalty to Azamara. We really appreciate it ❤️

Hello Bonnie

I understand you may not be able to answer questions yet, but please take a note of them and refer them back to Azamara.

You did actually enter this blog with the statement "I am compiling a list of all the questions on this forum since we announced our Cruise With Confidence. I hope to have answers on Monday or Tuesday."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solon said:

What good is a FCC if the company goes bust?

They have no value - this happened to Thomas Cook guests in the UK this year.  Simon Calder our respected independent travel journalist has consistently advised against accepting them even before this current crisis.  

I am not sure in the UK if you retain any protection on the basis your first purchase was made by credit card, my hunch is there is none

• Like 1

Hi.  We cancelled an Azamara Quest reservation for May 2020 and are receiving 50 percent FCC and 50 percent refund.  Should we expect any kind of documentation for the FCC? So far, we just got a one-sentence explanation from our large, domestic travel agent. 

4 hours ago, Maybelle mom said:

Hi.  We cancelled an Azamara Quest reservation for May 2020 and are receiving 50 percent FCC and 50 percent refund.  Should we expect any kind of documentation for the FCC? So far, we just got a one-sentence explanation from our large, domestic travel agent. 

That's interesting that you received 50 percent FCC and 50 percent refund. I had thought Azamara only gives 100 percent FCC/credit and 0 percent refund. How did you managed that? Did you purchase the ticket directly through Azamara ? 

4 minutes ago, Cahpek said:

That's interesting that you received 50 percent FCC and 50 percent refund. I had thought Azamara only gives 100 percent FCC/credit and 0 percent refund. How did you managed that? Did you purchase the ticket directly through Azamara ? 

I have read about the only FCC policy, but we canceled about a week ago and it was 50/50. My question is really about documentation.  How is FCC documented and what records do we get and what does the cruise line get?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maybelle mom said:

I have read about the only FCC policy, but we canceled about a week ago and it was 50/50. My question is really about documentation.  How is FCC documented and what records do we get and what does the cruise line get?

We might try that with our Azamara cruise booking too.

As for how FCC is documented, we have another cruise booked with Oceania later in the year through a travel agent. We called the travel agent and were informed that if we cancelled the cruise, whatever we had paid would be registered with the cruise line in the data system of the cruise line. And when it is time for us to book a new cruise with that cruise line, they will just take the amount of cruise credit off the total cost of the new cruise. You need to check this with Azamara, but the arrangement might be similar.

Of course, any cruise credit is only of value if the cruise line company survives. If it folds or closes down , any cruise credit offered to its customers would be worth nothing. In this climate of uncertainty, nothing can be guaranteed (or perhaps you might disagree with that view point?).

What is more, even if the cruise line survives long enough for you to use your cruise credit, next year, the cruise prices might be so much higher , that it means the value of your cruise credit would be diminished. Also, the cruise line might also not have the cruises visiting the ports you want to go to. FCCs may benefit the cruise companies because they can keep your money, but less so for the passengers. For passengers, full cash refund should be the desired option.

Edited by Cahpek
  • Like 2

Just be sure to get all documentation in writing, even via a comprehensive email from the travel agent or cruiseline. I would not leave anything they said to chance without complete documentation. 

i got an email with all imformation, including the person the travel agent spoke to. Supposedly they record telephone conversations.

Edited by ptrpanpens

PRESS RELEASES

twitter sharing button
facebook sharing button
tumblr sharing button
pinterest sharing button
email sharing button
sharethis sharing button

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ANNOUNCES GLOBAL SUSPENSION OF CRUISING

MIAMI, March 14, 2020 – Given global public health circumstances, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has decided to suspend the sailings of our fleet globally at midnight tonight. 

We will conclude all current sailings as scheduled and assist our guests with their safe return home. 

As with our announcement yesterday regarding U.S. sailings, we expect to return to service on April 11, 2020. 

On 3/9/2020 at 6:32 AM, BBMacLaird said:

I am compiling a list of all the questions on this forum since we announced our Cruise With Confidence

I hope to have answers on Monday or Tuesday. 

A new question Bonnie :

With two cruises cancelled, 17 and 28 March on Quest, we have FCC's coming.

Are you able to find out how long they might be arriving, or whether there is some way we can now book a cruise for later this year and have those credits applied at the time of booking, hopefully within the next few days?

As we have more than enough $$$$ coming in the form of FCC, we are reluctant to make this new reservation using more cash.

Also, will we be able to split this FCC between two B2B cruises?

Thanks in anticipation. 🙂

Trish

Further to my previous post :

We did receive Larry Pimental's update email and checked out the updated Travel Advisory, which includes the following :

"As a result of this change, (on 14 March 2020) if you’re scheduled to sail with us before April 11th, you will receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with us by December 31, 2021."

And :

"We will automatically issue you your Future Cruise Credit by Monday, April 13th, 2020 via email. So, there’s nothing for you to do!"

Three questions :

* Does this apply only to cruises not already cancelled prior to this announcement?

* We received notification of cancellation one week before our 17 March Quest cruise, Dubai to Dubai on 10 March via email, offering 100% refund plus 25% FCC.

The refund is being handled by our Travel Agent and we were told it would take considerably longer than the 30 days suggested in the updated Travel Advisory. But what of the 25% FCC attached to that cancellation, when might we expect to see that FCC?

* We received notification of cancellation two weeks before our 28 March Quest cruise, Dubai to Athens on 14 March via email, (about an hour and a half before Larry's email) offering EITHER 100% refund OR 125% FCC (the same compensation offered via the updated Travel Advisory for cruises scheduled to sail before April 11).

Would this cancellation be handled the same as all other cruises affected by the month long suspension? Or should we follow up with our Travel Agent regardless of whether we choose 100% refund or 125% FCC?

Thank you in anticipation of clarification.

Trish

• Like 1

We are a group of 4 booked on the Journey sailing 26 April from Dubai to Athens. I read in another thread that the sailing immediately preceding ours (11 April Singapore to Dubai) has been canceled.  It seems as if our sailing is likely to be canceled as well.  We are in the 25% refund window.  I debated canceling now and then accepting a 75% FCC, but from reading other posts, receiving a combo of refund and FCC would not be guaranteed.  If the cruise is ultimately not canceled, then the most we could get is FCC.  Azamara also had indicated that older passengers and people with underlying health conditions would need a letter from a physician certifying them as not having any chronic illness that would make them susceptible to a severe infection from the virus.  At least 3 of the 4 of us would not be able to get such a letter.  Based on that policy, we would be denied the opportunity to sail anyway, and would only be offered a FCC.  I'm not sure how long that physician letter policy will be in place, but it could interfere with being able to take a future cruise, thus potentially making a FCC more difficult to redeem.  Is there any other option to try to get a refund other than waiting until the last moment to see if our sailing is canceled?

I thought people who were denied boarding for medical reasons would get full refunds not FCCs?

If so (I can’t find the policy on the website because it seems to have been superceded by the pause in operations) it would seem odd that people who couldn’t get a dr’s letter would be treated worse, but it may be that they are losing so much cash they have to be less generous. 

In any case, I think it’s a better than 50% chance, probably much better, that your cruise on 4/26 cancels — China which is past the worst of it is now imposing controls on visitors so they don’t bring it back— so I would just wait (unless you think things will get so bad so quickly that they might go into receivership). 

I am still waiting on a refund for a cruise that was cancelled by a TA  over a week ago— have others had any delays getting cash refunds?

Edited by Doh15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doh15 said:

I thought people who were denied boarding for medical reasons would get full refunds not FCCs?

If so (I can’t find the policy on the website because it seems to have been superceded by the pause in operations) it would seem odd that people who couldn’t get a dr’s letter would be treated worse, but it may be that they are losing so much cash they have to be less generous. 

In any case, I think it’s a better than 50% chance, probably much better, that your cruise on 4/26 cancels — China which is past the worst of it is now imposing controls on visitors so they don’t bring it back— so I would just wait (unless you think things will get so bad so quickly that they might go into receivership). 

I am still waiting on a refund for a cruise that was cancelled by a TA  over a week ago— have others had any delays getting cash refunds?

Thanks for your response.  I was unable to find the policy on the Azamara site today, but here is an excerpt from the RCI site:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

image.thumb.png.dd1fb28919cfddf2bda430bca7db20b2.png

Previously, I read that they were only offering FCC to cruisers who were denied boarding for this reason.  Here and now, they don't specifically say that.  They later reiterate: 

image.thumb.png.130cf6a496878d39087afa6f7b9979fe.png

Edited by Smurfette2

My *guess* is that when they rolled it out for people denied boarding they said “refund” and as the problem became bigger and the policy expanded to cover more people that got changed to “compensation”. 

But given the latest news about how the virus won’t even peak in the US/UK until May or June I don’t see how the cruise happens as scheduled. 

• Like 1

Has anyone received a future cruise credit on a recently cancelled cruise? Was it on a letter sent by mail or in an email attachment?

i received an email from Azamara today referencing an attachment for future cruise credit on a cruise I cancelled last week, but there was no attachment in the email.

The last time I received a future cruise credit, a letter was sent by regular mail from Azamara which had the future cruise credit attached.

just wondering if anyone has had this experience on a recent cruise credit issued since the Coronavirus situation.

ptrpanpens sounds like they forgot to attach your FCC certificate.

We have in the past received small FCC via email attachment.

Suggest you contact Azamara or your Travel Agent.

So far we have nothing following cancellation of 17 march cruise on 10 March.

Our TA did give us a much longer wait time than the 10 to 14 working days you were told to expect.

20 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

ptrpanpens sounds like they forgot to attach your FCC certificate.

We have in the past received small FCC via email attachment.

Suggest you contact Azamara or your Travel Agent.

So far we have nothing following cancellation of 17 march cruise on 10 March.

Our TA did give us a much longer wait time than the 10 to 14 working days you were told to expect.

thanks. I am going to give it until the end of the week. If I dont get anything by then I will cntact my travel agent. I wasnt ecpecting anything this early anyway. 

• Like 1

Posted on Quest 28 March Roll Call on Thursday 19 March by a fellow "non-cruiser" after cancellation of that cruise :

My wife & I received emails from Azamara on Tuesday that included a certificate for our Future Cruise Credit. This "must be used for a sailing that commences on or before December 31, 2021".

I noticed it did not include the amount for taxes & fees. I was told by an Azamara rep that this will be refunded to us, but it might take up to a month.

And posted on the same Roll Call by the same "non-cruiser" on Sunday 22 March :

Received refunds to my credit card for 1) taxes & fees, and 2) out-of-pocket costs for Azamara shorex. Quite speedy, I'd say."

Meanwhile, we have no word at all regarding the 100% refund and 25% FCC for our cancelled 17 March cruise and no word regarding the FCC for our 28 March cruise.

Is this because they are in USA and we are in Australia, or because they were able to deal directly with Azamara, while we had to go through a Travel Agent?