Can someone please help interpret the new policy

MudderBear

Hello.  Sorry to sound naive, but I'm having trouble figuring out the new HAL cancellation policy for trips between now and May 31.  Their cancellation would apply to me.  Would love it if someone could explain what I am entitled to if I choose to cancel by their March deadline.

Cruise: Triple Denali/Cruise

Total cost for two people: $7000

This ALSO includes the Standard Insurance Cost of $249 per person.

Basically, cruise cost is $6500....insurance is $500

Airfare (booked on own, so disregard).

So, if I cancel before their March deadline....what exactly would I be entitled to?  Thank you all so much for your help.  I truly appreciate it.

Sincerely...

What matters is how many days before the cruise you cancel, it must be at least three days before.

The info from your TA should have a table like this for your cancel fees.

90 - 64 days prior to departure: Deposit amount

63 - 43 days prior to departure: 50% of total cruise fare

42 - 22 days prior to departure: 75% of total cruise fare

21 - 0 days prior to departure: 100% of total cruise fare

Because you have the Standard Protection that covers 80% of what HAL would normally keep, the rest always come back to you as cash.

So this table shows what you will get as Future Cruise Credit, the rest of the $6500 will go back to you

90 - 64 days prior to departure: Deposit amount -> 20% of deposit

63 - 43 days prior to departure: 50% of total cruise fare -> 20% of $3250 = $650

42 - 22 days prior to departure: 75% of total cruise fare -> 20% of $4875 = $975

21 - 0 days prior to departure: 100% of total cruise fare -> 20% of $6500 =$1300

You might also get the $500 for Standard Protection as FCC

Edited by mrmoviezombie
  • Like 1

I think OP is asking about the new cancellation policy announced yesterday. It would allow guests to get their fare's and paid up amounts in a FCC to use within HAL's timeline.  This is the section I referenced below.    It's basically a FCC offer for those that want to cancel now and are departing before May 31, 2020 .   

Since OP has cruise insurance they would have to see if there are options to use that and/or which is the best decision in their situation.  

"For guests currently booked on upcoming cruises, Holland America Line is temporarily changing its cancellation policy and allowing guests to cancel their cruise or Alaska Land+Sea Journey departing through May 31, 2020.

Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of the paid fare which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by Dec. 31, 2020, and the cancellation must be made with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of departure date but no later than March 31, 2020. However, guests booked between now and March 9, 2020 may also cancel under this new policy despite being within 72 hours."

Edited by thyme2go

Also remember the FCC under the new policy will be for the non-refundable amounts.  You will get something back in cash (or a credit card refund).

• All of your taxes and port fees will be refunded
  • Then depending on when you cancel, some of the remaining payments may be refunded in cash as shown in the first table of post 2.
  • Whatever remains is your FCC that must be used as stated in post 3.

Yes, thank you for that clarification.  I am referring to this new Corona policy. So, would I get $6500 or $7000 applied toward a future cruise?

And also, if we don't cancel under this new policy but say cancel out on May 20th or so, would I get 80 percent of the $6500 cost of cruise which amounts to about $5200?

Thanks......

We cancelled this morning. The cost of our cruise protection package is deducted and forfeited according to the rep. We had the standard protection and are within the 50% fee timeframe. 

We received a cancellation receipt via email showing the Cancellation fee that was 10% of our base fare plus the cruise protection charges. She said it could take 10-14 days to process the FCC but that the FCC would only be for the percentage of the fare. Until we get the FCC email, I guess we won’t know for sure. 

I know. Clear as mud. 

10 minutes ago, kristapb said:

I was on a live chat with HA this afternoon and they told me if you booked airfare thru Flight Ease, the same policy would apply to the flight cost.

How did you manage that? I can not get through at all. Computer screen just spins and spins....

22 minutes ago, Kfrech said:

How did you manage that? I can not get through at all. Computer screen just spins and spins....

Ha - I know what you mean.  Several refreshes and a lot of waiting.  Although I did actually get through twice (thought of a new question) and got a very helpful guy named Philip both times.

I'm also not clear about this.  I'm on a cruise leaving April 3.  I bought the cruise last month and did not buy cancellation insurance.  At this time, I am still planning to go but if I don't, do I get a FCC or am I out of luck?  tried to get through to HAL without luck.

OK--I thought I was not confused but...............we have a fully paid cruise departing in April.  If we cancel with this new "policy" we will get our entire cruise cost in FCC, right?   Port charges and taxes would be refunded, right?    Then there's the question of how to get a hold of someone at HAL.........to actually act on any of this?  

All I'm wondering is if you must call HAL to cancel?  If you've booked through your PCC would an email be sufficient to notify him/her if you wish to cancel?  My PCC for the past 10 years has always been responsive very quickly to my emails.  TIA.

6 hours ago, Av8rix said:

All I'm wondering is if you must call HAL to cancel?  If you've booked through your PCC would an email be sufficient to notify him/her if you wish to cancel?  My PCC for the past 10 years has always been responsive very quickly to my emails.  TIA.

I would think that an email would suffice. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thyme2go said:

OK--I thought I was not confused but...............we have a fully paid cruise departing in April.  If we cancel with this new "policy" we will get our entire cruise cost in FCC, right?   Port charges and taxes would be refunded, right?    Then there's the question of how to get a hold of someone at HAL.........to actually act on any of this?  

If you are at 100% penalty, then yes you get the entire cruise cost in FCC.  If you are at 75% penalty, then that part is FCC and the refundable part is credited to your credit card, etc.

port taxes, prepaid items, etc would be refunded to you.

8 hours ago, trk_koa said:

We cancelled this morning. The cost of our cruise protection package is deducted and forfeited according to the rep. We had the standard protection and are within the 50% fee timeframe. 

We received a cancellation receipt via email showing the Cancellation fee that was 10% of our base fare plus the cruise protection charges. She said it could take 10-14 days to process the FCC but that the FCC would only be for the percentage of the fare. Until we get the FCC email, I guess we won’t know for sure. 

I know. Clear as mud. 

How much was your insurance? Do they reimburse you directly  on a credit card or do you have to come a pick up cash from the office? Last time we had to cancel a week  before the cruise were not refunded at all. We were told its due to our insurance which was like a very basic one. I wonder how people decide on what insurance plan to pick. You never know how the life will goo. Today its the earthquake or Tsunami, tomorrow its a virus. Gosh. In any case next time I travel I will get full coverage just to fell completely safe. I dont want to lose money due to these silly incidents

We are also seriously considering canceling a May cruise.  We just made final payments 3weeks ago and being nervous, we bought the standard HA cancellation policy ( cost $414).  From what I can figure out we can do one of two things.....

Cancel and request a refund.  My very rough calculations are Cost $7,000 less $414 for cancel for any reason insurance  premium paid leaving about $6600...then 80%of balance. Or about $5,300. (Not sure if port fees would be a 100% repayment or subject to 80% reimbursement...but we aren’t talking a big difference)

Or we leave it as a future cruise credit under the new cancellation proposal.....which I think could be the full $7;000 or maybe $6,600 if the protection plan is truly non refundable 

So our net penalty for canceling is $1,700??  If we take the cash. Not to mention other charges for ancillary items...hotels etc

Or accept an expiring future cruise credit ??  We are not sure 🤔 if cruising is where we want to be in a year...not that we don’t love it (13 under the belt) but who knows if this mess will be clear enough in a calendar year?

Your thoughts are welcome 

PS, we have another cruise booked in September for Japan......so another decision to make....

1 hour ago, Curlingwhiz said:

We are also seriously considering canceling a May cruise.  We just made final payments 3weeks ago and being nervous, we bought the standard HA cancellation policy ( cost $414).  From what I can figure out we can do one of two things.....

If you just made final payment 3 weeks ago, you are most likely in the lowest penalty period where only a small amount is penalized.  Take a look at your cruise confirmation on page 2.

Cancel and request a refund.  My very rough calculations are Cost $7,000 less $414 for cancel for any reason insurance  premium paid leaving about $6600...then 80%of balance. Or about $5,300. (Not sure if port fees would be a 100% repayment or subject to 80% reimbursement...but we aren’t talking a big difference)

Or we leave it as a future cruise credit under the new cancellation proposal.....which I think could be the full $7;000 or maybe $6,600 if the protection plan is truly non refundable 

So our net penalty for canceling is $1,700??  If we take the cash. Not to mention other charges for ancillary items...hotels etc

The 80% refund from the cancellation insurance is applicable to the penalty portion, not the entire cruise cost.  So, for example, if $1,000 is your penalty for cancelling, then you would receive $800 from the insurance.  The rest of the cost of the cruise which is not at the penalty stage would be fully refundable.

Or accept an expiring future cruise credit ??  We are not sure 🤔 if cruising is where we want to be in a year...not that we don’t love it (13 under the belt) but who knows if this mess will be clear enough in a calendar year?

Your thoughts are welcome 

PS, we have another cruise booked in September for Japan......so another decision to make....

You need to look at your confirmation to see how much your penalty is.  I don’t think it is going to make big difference.  

So if I understand what has been said here correctly, if one cancels a cruise due to leave in the next few weeks (100% forfeiture ) and has Platinum, port fees and taxes are refunded, Then platinum pays 90%, the compassion policy refunds the remaining 10% as a FCC and one is out the cost of platinum? Or is the cost of platinum included in the fcc?

21 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So if I understand what has been said here correctly, if one cancels a cruise due to leave in the next few weeks (100% forfeiture ) and has Platinum, port fees and taxes are refunded, Then platinum pays 90%, the compassion policy refunds the remaining 10% as a FCC and one is out the cost of platinum? Or is the cost of platinum included in the fcc?

No, a friend of mine had platinum and their choice was to either a) use the platinum coverage (90% only) or b) take the offer of the FCC.  They were told that they were out the cost of the platinum.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Hello.  Sorry to sound naive, but I'm having trouble figuring out the new HAL cancellation policy for trips between now and May 31.  Their cancellation would apply to me.  Would love it if someone could explain what I am entitled to if I choose to cancel by their March deadline.

Cruise: Triple Denali/Cruise

Total cost for two people: $7000

This ALSO includes the Standard Insurance Cost of $249 per person.

Basically, cruise cost is $6500....insurance is $500

Airfare (booked on own, so disregard).

So, if I cancel before their March deadline....what exactly would I be entitled to?  Thank you all so much for your help.  I truly appreciate it.

Sincerely...

Since your questions involve interpretation of HAL's new Corona virus cancellation policy, IMO the only sensible approach would be to call HAL directly or, if you booked through a TA, have your TA call HAL.

Edited by avian777

We had to go through this a few years ago, here's what I was told then on platinum (we didn't have air):

-shore x, spa, dining surcharges fully refunded to all parties

-insurance cost forfeit off the top

-port fees and taxes fully refunded

-90% refund of what was left

Because it was CFAR no questions were asked. And because we had the money within 48 hours we were able to quickly rebook.

It was about the easiest handling of an insurance claim in my life.

Only thing I'm not sure about are nonrefundable deposits, they didn't have those back then.

18 hours ago, thyme2go said:

I think OP is asking about the new cancellation policy announced yesterday.

Yes. My table took that into account. The various cancelation fees depending on when you cancel still apply. They are just returned as FCC rather than forfeit.

2 hours ago, avian777 said:

Since your questions involve interpretation of HAL's new Corona virus cancellation policy, IMO the only sensible approach would be to call HAL directly or, if you booked through a TA, have your TA call HAL.

I believe that is what many are doing but try getting through to TA or PCC so many in the meantime are asking others of what their experience is with cancelling!