Cruise Critic Community
chrism23

Who is cancelling/Who is Not?

2 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Brilliant thank you! But it would be so nice if it all resolved before July!

Sadly, I don't things will be resolved any time soon.  I believe Silversea are reluctant to cancel cruises for May/June that by now are unlikely to be able to go ahead without endangering peoples' health.  Are they really prepared to risk more Shadow/Explorer lockdowns if they start sailing again too soon? 

RISK is the word really.  We all have our own opinions about it but I think they are going to need to do BUNCHES of

stuff before putting out that "FIRST CRUISE".  Can you imagine what is going to happen if they ramp back up and

something like this happens again. :classic_wacko:…...I know it is a big business and I guess they are working on things now

since they are not cruising for 30 days...…...In my opinion, I would not hold my breath for July, but who knows.

22 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The 125% future cruise credit upon cancellation does us little good.  We have the Silver Galapagos cruise booked for May 23 and, if we tried to shift that booking to next year on the Origin, we would come up short.  Our problem is that we have a great deal on the Silver Galapagos.  One cabin is a deluxe verandah and the other is an Explorer Suite.  We are in $36K in total and two lowest cabins on the Origin would cost us about $40K.   The second cabin is for our younger 20's kids.  They would never go on another Silversea cruise and we probably wouldn't either.  If I could get our money back right now, I would.  I'm hoping they cancel the cruise and refund our money.  

I'm in a similar situation with a Silver Galapagos booking.  The prices on the Origin are significantly higher.  My cruise is in June and I expect that Silversea will cancel it.  Given the higher prices on Origin I don't think I will be in the Galapagos anytime soon, 

Very frustrated. Scheduled on  spirit April 15th originally Athens to Venice now Athens to Athens. Purchased upgraded air from silversea and to date still no return flights booked. Also no information available regarding itinerary changes which would seem necessary as Greece and Croatia not letting non residents into their countries. I would think this cruise would be canceled but it seems silversea is waiting til last possible minute to make that decision. Would be nice if we had the information needed to make our own decision as whether we should cancel or not 

I agree - it is obvious no cruises will go out in April. Surely they have to cancel and return your money? That is what I will be wanting for July, the only reason I am not chasing this is that there may be a slim chance by May that things may relent?

Does anyone know how long refunds are taking to process?

We have sadly cancelled our 30th wedding anniversary cruise which was rather expensive and I’m going to be nervous until the refund clears.

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, jrmuk said:

Does anyone know how long refunds are taking to process?

We have sadly cancelled our 30th wedding anniversary cruise which was rather expensive and I’m going to be nervous until the refund clears.

Thanks in advance.

I think it could be a while, we had a cruise with SS booked in May and have tried to re-book on next years sailing and not heard anything, its been over a week and a half now, ours was a 70th Birthday and we too blew the budget for it, shame, lets be thankful we are well I guess?

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble but due to the state of things, I think (just my opinion) I think refunds will take

anywhere from 30 to 60 days.  I could be wrong of course.  You can always call SS next week and see if they can

give you a better time frame.  I think there are going to 1,000's of refunds being processed.

I'm monitoring refund time frames too.  We were told 5-7 days which has come and gone, of course.  We were hoping to re-book right away, but SS TA suggested we wait till refund is processed. We have a cruise in September that may have to be canceled and then one in October 2021, but if we have to re-book 2 cancelled this year, I just don't see the timing work out for us to really get in those PLUS the one already on the calendar for 2021.  Of course, all this talk is around the premise that we get through the next year healthy -- which is actually the most important thing to worry about!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wendy_woo said:

I think it could be a while, we had a cruise with SS booked in May and have tried to re-book on next years sailing and not heard anything, its been over a week and a half now, ours was a 70th Birthday and we too blew the budget for it, shame, lets be thankful we are well I guess?

While I was pessimistic about SS in my last post about getting our money back, today we received a credit on the credit card that we used for the down payment, as well as the one that we used to make the final payment. We were told it would take 1 to 3 billing cycles, and it was probably 1 (about 3 weeks). We received everything back that we had paid, except for our insurance. I doubt I will ever buy cruise insurance again since it has proven to be totally worthless. I'm hoping for the best for you with SS, and we will take a look at their cruises in the future, if we can still afford it.

My 65th Birthday cruise was also a big splurge that we blew the budget for on another cruise line that we thought we could trust. Now I expect that I will be cooking something from the freezer at home, but if I have another birthday next year, then that's OK with me. And we will consider ourselves lucky if the cruise credit that other cruise line is giving us let's us pay for a much shorter cruise next year,  rather than losing the entire cost of the trip.

And more importantly, we hope that everyone can be safely cruising again next year.

Edited by SWFLAOK
typo

9 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

While I was pessimistic about SS in my last post about getting our money back, today we received a credit on the credit card that we used for the down payment, as well as the one that we used to make the final payment. We were told it would take 1 to 3 billing cycles, and it was probably 1 (about 3 weeks). We received everything back that we had paid, except for our insurance. I doubt I will ever buy cruise insurance again since it has proven to be totally worthless. I'm hoping for the best for you with SS, and we will take a look at their cruises in the future, if we can still afford it.

My 65th Birthday cruise was also a big splurge that we blew the budget for on another cruise line that we thought we could trust. Now I expect that I will be cooking something from the freezer at home, but if I have another birthday next year, then that's OK with me. And we will consider ourselves lucky if the cruise credit that other cruise line is giving us let's us pay for a much shorter cruise next year,  rather than losing the entire cost of the trip.

And more importantly, we hope that everyone can be safely cruising again next year.

How long did it take from cancelling to receiving your refund?

I totally agree with the sentiment that there are greater things to worry about at the moment.

I don’t know what the next few months will hold but cancelling a wedding anniversary cruise won’t be top of my worry list but it would be nice to get my money back sooner rather than later.

15 hours ago, zigtraveller said:

I'm in a similar situation with a Silver Galapagos booking.  The prices on the Origin are significantly higher.  My cruise is in June and I expect that Silversea will cancel it.  Given the higher prices on Origin I don't think I will be in the Galapagos anytime soon, 

I don't think the Origin or Galapagos is worth that kind of money for a 7-day expedition.  If our cruise isn't cancelled, we'll either dump the Galapagos altogether or book same time next year on the Celebrity Xpedition.  I do wonder if the Galapagos market can sustain two ridiculously high priced ships in the Flora and Origin.  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, zigtraveller said:

The Silversea website states that refunds will take 90 days.

Yikes!  Can you provide a link to that announcement, zigtraveller, as I cannot find it?

I have no knowledge of the financial relationship between SS and RCL, but virtually any time a business publicly announces refunds will take 90-days to process, it is a sure sign of financial stress at the business.  And clearly, a liquidity crisis exists as the business needs to hoard cash.  Without access to some sort of new credit facility in the very near term (< 45-days), default becomes more likely.  

Edited by Stumblefoot

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  I have no knowledge of the financial relationship between SS and RCL, but publicly announcing refunds will take 90-days to process is a sure sign of financial stress at this corporation.  Clearly, it would seem, a liquidity crisis exists and they are hoarding cash.  Without access to some sort of new credit facility in the very near term (< 45-days), I would assume a default becomes more likely.  

Everyone has went looking for credit and companies with heavy debt loading will be in big trouble shortly.   CCL has some serious obligations this and next year.   90 days is the least of their long term problems but sure easy way to hold on to cash and suspend any refunds.

21 hours ago, easterbrook51 said:

Very frustrated. Scheduled on  spirit April 15th originally Athens to Venice now Athens to Athens. Purchased upgraded air from silversea and to date still no return flights booked. Also no information available regarding itinerary changes which would seem necessary as Greece and Croatia not letting non residents into their countries. I would think this cruise would be canceled but it seems silversea is waiting til last possible minute to make that decision. Would be nice if we had the information needed to make our own decision as whether we should cancel or not 

We are on the same Spirit cruise, still waiting for the probable cancellation.  I think we may know in a week or so.

I am betting they are saying 90 days as a cushion.  The person who helps me at SS said she is telling folks it may be

between 1 and 2 billing cycles on the CC.  So that would be between 30 and 60 days.   My best suggestion is to wait

until tomorrow since it is the first business day back and give them a call if you want live confirmation.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  Can you provide a link to that announcement, zigtraveller, as I cannot find it?

I have no knowledge of the financial relationship between SS and RCL, but virtually any time a business publicly announces refunds will take 90-days to process, it is a sure sign of financial stress at the business.  And clearly, a liquidity crisis exists as the business needs to hoard cash.  Without access to some sort of new credit facility in the very near term (< 45-days), default becomes more likely.  

https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

It is mentioned here under the list of affected cruises.

13 hours ago, jrmuk said:

How long did it take from cancelling to receiving your refund?

I totally agree with the sentiment that there are greater things to worry about at the moment.

I don’t know what the next few months will hold but cancelling a wedding anniversary cruise won’t be top of my worry list but it would be nice to get my money back sooner rather than later.

We put in our formal cancellation request on March 11th, so it was much faster than we expected. Getting a refund back from our credit cards is going to take a few more weeks, but we have been able to get them to answer us this weekend and start that process.

4 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We put in our formal cancellation request on March 11th, so it was much faster than we expected. Getting a refund back from our credit cards is going to take a few more weeks, but we have been able to get them to answer us this weekend and start that process.

Checking the calendar, it took 7 business days for our SS refund to show up on our credit card accounts.

SWFLAOK- you are doing better than we are.  We requested a refund on March 9 and were told 7-10 business days.  I will begin the follow-up this week.  We have not received the refund and we are owed 100% for an early cancellation.

Posted (edited)

I started this topic on March 8th which seems like a life time ago.  There has been several hundred replies from confused and frankly scared people.  I empathize with all you are sharing this problem.  I also feel sorry for Silversea employees who must feel beleaguered and stressed beyond comprehension.

Now I find nearly 3 weeks after my original post that I too am confused and in need of some clarity and assistance.  As I have noted before I am booked on a cruise out of Dublin embarking on May 29th.  Silversea has published a list of cruises that have so far been cancelled.  They also have instituted a policy where a customer can get a full refund for cruises booked after June 1st.  For people in my position I can get a 50% refund and a 50% future cruise credit if I cancel two days prior to June 1st.  Thus I miss the chance to get a full refund by 48 hours.

I would get, as all you would, a full refund is Silversea cancels your cruise.  The result of this is that I am forced to play a game that is tantamount to chicken.  Should I hang in there in hopes that Silversea does cancel, or should I take a bird in hand and take the 50/50% offer. 

I cannot see anyway in the world this cruise going forward.  Silversea has to cancel it there is no alternative.  The logistics are herculean, for example I understand that currently Iceland where the cruise ends, has a mandatory policy of quarantining passengers getting off of cruise ships for 14 days.  No one would sail under such circumstances.  

Someone in this thread posted the list of the cruises that Silversea has aborted or cancelled.  The list ran to the end of April.  I do not know where the poster obtained that list, I have been trying to find the site.  If someone can be so kind as to post it, so perhaps we can see, if in the next few days if it has been updated.

Also, of course, if anyone has any information on any  Silversea cruise going forward if they could post it here.  We would all be very grateful.  

Lastly, and I must in good conscience say this, if I had a cruise booked anywhere for, lets say, the next six months, I would review all your Silversea material to see the least costly way for you to cancel.  This virus is not going to get any better, it is only going to get worse.  If you can get out with a 100% refund I would do so immediately.  The virus is moving with lightening speed, a safe airport, a safe country, maybe quarantined and shut down in a week.  One passenger with the virus can result in your ship being quarantined for 14 days.  Simply put, there is no way in the world I would contemplate cruising for the rest of this year.  I am sorry for being so negative.

I would like to thank anyone in advance that can help me out with my logistical dilemma.

Addendum  Just found the cancellation link it is https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html.  It is a partial list with only a few departures noted after mid-April

Be Safe

Chris

Edited by chrism23
added information.

We do not have a cruise until later September but I am leaning towards canceling. I just think that we might get waves of illness even with our efforts to suppress the curve.  Not a time to be caught out of the country. Things might not be totally normal until the end of 2021.