Arcadia world cruise - more possible itinerary changes.

Ukulele girl

13 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

456 known cases out of a population of over 60 million hardly seems to be something to panic over even though that is likely to rise over the weeks ahead.

Of course there are people who will die from this virus and, that's very sad, but thousands die every year from seasonable flu and other viruses and infections. Overaction seems to be the order of the day these days.

456 is likely to be a highly misleading figure - we've been testing much lower numbers than the Italians have, and the real figure is probably a lot higher.  The more you test, the more positives you get, and our testing numbers have been small.  Our figures look to be on a similar trajectory to Italy's, but, unlike Italy, we've run down our health service over recent years by cutting bed numbers and hugely cutting staff numbers.

827 Covid-19 deaths in Italy alone since 21 February, and a lot more to come.  I wonder how sentiment's going to change when we reach that point, perhaps over the next 6 weeks.  This is not overreaction - it's a serious problem for the country.

17 hours ago, brian1 said:

Magnum's put a bit of weight on.

Too many cruise ship buffets Brian.   All the best, have you escaped Calabria back to Essex, an area of natural beauty, as they say.😁

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tring said:

There was a recent mention that they expect the start of the peak within a fortnight and it was reported in a big news conference with Boris and his two advisors last week that the "peak" is expected to last about three months.  The delay restrictions (yet to be imposed) are hoped to flatten the peak so less people are ill at the same time.  I think the three months was still the estimate expected though, but no one knows exactly.  I assume we will hear more when the next phase is announced, if not before then.

They said peak would last for 3 weeks and cover 50% of cases. They also said that 90%+ of cases would be in a nine week period.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

To get back on track, would it not be possible for Arcadia to increase the number of Med ports she visits, unless of course she is tied to a Suez canal transit timetable, and can't free up some time there?

Unlikely they will add more Med ports even if they were open to ships, Arcadia has to be back in time for the European summer cruise season with cruise J002 - Iberia and Canaries due to depart same day of arrival back from the current worldie. We were booked on that too, B2B with the worlde - Singa to Soton.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Too many cruise ship buffets Brian.   All the best, have you escaped Calabria back to Essex, an area of natural beauty, as they say.😁

LOL,we're stuck here for a month,managed to drive here in 3 days instead of the usual 4.They then locked the country down  the following day.Could be worse,we could have been stuck between Rome and Naples for a month.

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Unlikely they will add more Med ports even if they were open to ships, Arcadia has to be back in time for the European summer cruise season with cruise J002 - Iberia and Canaries due to depart same day of arrival back from the current worldie. We were booked on that too, B2B with the worlde - Singa to Soton.

A significant chance there won't be a European cruise season to get back in time for. Trump as just banned flights from Europe to the USA, err, normal confusion, he said the EU then later only Schengen countries. As several members of the EU are not in the Schengen zone it shows the confusion reigning over there in the US. He also said banning trade but reversed that in a tweet. I presume European countries will also ban flights from the USA as the coronavirus response over there has been a farce.

• Like 2

Well will be interesting if P&O follow Princess and throw in the towel for a couple of months.  ThePrincess statement says that cruises which extend beyond 17th March will be ended at the most convenient location for guests.  P&O may have problems finding somewhere that will let them them disembark Arcadia like Fred had with Braemar at the end of the previous cruise.  Braemar was, on paper, a clean ship at the time.

Edited by tring

12 hours ago, tring said:

Well will be interesting if P&O follow Princess and throw in the towel for a couple of months.  ThePrincess statement says that cruises which extend beyond 17th March will be ended at the most convenient location for guests.  P&O may have problems finding somewhere that will let them them disembark Arcadia like Fred had with Braemar at the end of the previous cruise.  Braemar was, on paper, a clean ship at the time.

Fair chance of a couple of months of no P&O UK operations.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

I would say a 90% chance.  There are no ports available to cruise to.  Spain has just closed all ports and Oceana has 5 on her cruise.  Can't be long until they start cancelling. 

Wonder what Oceana will do.  Can't use Malta?

Edited by jeanlyon

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Can't be long until they start cancelling. 

Wonder what Oceana will do.  Can't use Malta?

Think it looks like Southampton will become one big cruise ship park with all heading home. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Think it looks like Southampton will become one big cruise ship park with all heading home. 

I wonder how they are going to arrange all that. After disembarking their passengers where will they all go? Surely not enough for the three Queens and the seven P&O ships.

In relation to Arcadia, I see that she's heading to Durban and Cape Town before heading back to Southampton.

50 minutes ago, trinity126 said:

mil has just advised that they are now going to Durban and Cape Town.  Not sure when they are expected to get there.  Captain has confirmed that they will not be making any stops in Europe. 

and presumably no longer going through the Suez canal?

33 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157931587275782&id=179746530781#

Posted by P&O on their official page 4 hrs ago Hth

Herwith for those who dont do FB

Important Update

Increasing international travel restrictions, border controls, port closures and CLIA US recent guidelines have affected the planned itineraries for Arcadia and Britannia.

Arcadia is now making her way to South Africa, calling at Durban on Sunday 22 March, before an overnight stop in Cape Town on Wednesday 25 March. Arcadia will sail from Cape Town on Thursday 26 March and proceed towards Southampton, due to arrive on Sunday 12 April.

Guests who were due to disembark in Dubai on 24 March will disembark in Cape Town on 25 March. All other guests may stay onboard to Southampton, or they may choose to disembark in Cape Town on 25 March. In all instances, P&O Cruises will arrange and cover the cost of repatriation flights.

Guests due to join in Dubai will unfortunately no longer be able to join the ship. They will automatically receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit for use on a P&O Cruises voyage departing before the end of March 2022.

Guests who were due to fly to Barbados today (14 March) have been advised of the cancellation of the current cruise. Guests on board Britannia will be able to stay on board to return back to the UK or fly back from Barbados. We are very sorry for the short notice of the cancellation which was unavoidable due to the global Covid-19 situation and the latest restrictions.

For the most up to date information visit: http://*****/2w4dSTS

Would expect a refuel/restock stop in either Gibraltar or Lisbon on the way back from Cape Town. (note it says proceed towards Southampton). I don't believe Arcadia could do Cape Town - Southampton without refueling and some fresh fruit/veg may be handy! I would not expect passengers to be allowed off.

• Like 1

2BACRUISER - thank you, that is very helpful to know. Of course the way things are going they may not be allowed to dock by the time they get there. I wonder if anyone joined the ship in Fremantle? There will be a lot of people on board who don't like to fly (my sister is one of them) so they will possibly choose to stay on board. It will be a very different cruising experience on the way home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ukulele girl said:

2BACRUISER - thank you, that is very helpful to know. Of course the way things are going they may not be allowed to dock by the time they get there. I wonder if anyone joined the ship in Fremantle? There will be a lot of people on board who don't like to fly (my sister is one of them) so they will possibly choose to stay on board. It will be a very different cruising experience on the way home.

Probably plenty of scope for dining at the Captain's table.😉

• Like 1

If South Africa bans cruise ships Arcadia, rules change by the hour now, there might now be only service calls @ Durban/Capetown for bunkering/resupply with G & T ingredients, some nice South African vino and perhaps a bit of black pudding.  No pax disembarkation.   As you have all said...plenty of sea days now.  Many of the Brit pax will be darker then dark with the sun tanning when they eventually arrive in ye olde Port of Southampton.  Best wishes to all on board.  

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Below is a clip from BBC news overnight. Perhaps this means no-one will be flying home and it will just be a refuel and food stop now. I don't suppose Arcadia carries sails if they are refused fuel too!

'Earlier, South Africa declared a state of disaster, closing its borders to foreign nationals from countries badly impacted by the disease. The ban includes China, Iran, Italy, Spain, the UK and the US.'

On 3/16/2020 at 8:16 AM, Ukulele girl said:

Below is a clip from BBC news overnight. Perhaps this means no-one will be flying home and it will just be a refuel and food stop now. I don't suppose Arcadia carries sails if they are refused fuel too!

'Earlier, South Africa declared a state of disaster, closing its borders to foreign nationals from countries badly impacted by the disease. The ban includes China, Iran, Italy, Spain, the UK and the US.'

P&O website says they will now just have a"technical stop" to re fuel, stock medical supplies and provisions etc. and sailing straight on with all passengers.  I do wonder if the ship is completely free of the virus, with various ports/embarkations etc.  Would be a good place to be if it is, but I would not be confident in that.

Anyone heard from a current passenger about how things are on the ship?

1 hour ago, tring said:

P&O website says they will now just have a"technical stop" to re fuel, stock medical supplies and provisions etc. and sailing straight on with all passengers.  I do wonder if the ship is completely free of the virus, with various ports/embarkations etc.  Would be a good place to be if it is, but I would not be confident in that.

Anyone heard from a current passenger about how things are on the ship?

I have a brother and sister in law on board but not heard from them for a while - not worried about that so much but I'm wondering if they will have to go into quarantine when they get back 😷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

I have a brother and sister in law on board but not heard from them for a while - not worried about that so much but I'm wondering if they will have to go into quarantine when they get back 😷

I would have thought probably not if nobody is showing any symptoms. After all, nobody on-board will have had contact with anybody outside the ship for some weeks, so there should have been no opportunity to contract the virus. Besides, with the disease almost certainly being very widespread in the UK by the time that Arcadia returns, putting everyone on-board in quarantine just in case somebody has it would seem pretty pointless.

• Thanks 1