Europe Travel Status and Information Links

To be certain, things are changing quicker than any of us can post a question or write a reply.

Below are some links to the most reliable sources (health/government) of information for news on next steps with regard to your wellness, and when travel may be approved/open again, as these are official websites. 

If you have not already done so, we encourage you to contact your cruise line, airline, hotel, tour guides, trip insurers, directly regarding next steps as to refunds, future travels, filing claims, claims denials etc due to these extraordinary circumstances. In other words, please do not make this your first point of contact for answers; use the board as a place to share once you have checked in to reputable news sources that adhere to strict principles of journalism and communicated with official industry representatives concerning your travel plans, then absolutely do come back to report back here with verifiable news.

Please stay connected to the official government, health organization, and travel industry updates, as well as your preferred source for trusted world news. This isn't the time or place to guess, speculate or track numbers, but I know we wish each other wellness, and the swiftest containment of the condition. 

Thank you everyone. Keep well, safe, and peaceful.

United States Travel Advisory - COVID 19 Country Specific Information

Canada Travel Advisory - COVID 19

United Kingdom - Foreign Office Travel Information, COVID 19

Australia Travel Advisory - COVID 19

New Zealand Travel Advisory - COVID 19

World Health Organization (W.H.O.)

Europe (link to all countries accessible)

Centers for Disease Control 

Global Update

Recent Q & A with InsureMyTrip on our Cruise Critic Discussion Forum.

I hope this is the right place to put this (official) information for visitors to Norway, otherwise I'll take it elsewhere :

Effective immediately, and until March 26th, a 2 weeks quarantine is required for every person arriving in Norway from outside the Nordic countries (including Norwegian national traveling abroad, and even retroactive to people who arrived in Norway since Feb 27th) : https://www.fhi.no/en/news/2020/norwegian-directorate-of-health-implements-the-following-today---from-6-p.m/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the links. I am glad people do care about each other. I will certainly devote some of my time reading it. I will also share it on my social networks and among friends. People should be aware of what is going on in the world to know things before booking cruises 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OlympicGirl said:

Heard rumors that Europe won't open it's borders till the end of the year ((

The Schengen region, all of Europe? It's a challenge to keep up with what's happening state to state in the US, then find out what's happening across national borders and yet it is all so important. 

I did hear a specific report on Germany today, that they have done well because their method of carrying out testing was effective as has been their process of doing contact tracing, which has led to quick containment and a very low number of cases and fatalities.

It sounded like restrictions were easing up a bit within the country but I did not hear anything about going to/from other European countries. This decision may require a meeting of EU leaders (Via Zoom?) and other non-EU members to determine a safe plan for relaxing border restrictions. They may or may not take actions similar to what is happening here in the US although I suppose it isn't at all the same, is it?

I am glad that the links and information is helpful and you'll share to your socials. I think many people are still looking for reliable trusted sources of information as the days and weeks go on and for whatever reasons, conflicting or confusing information becomes more widely distributed to people.

It is up to everyone to make the choices that are right for them, but they deserve to have accurate information available in order to make their choices. I think people do care about each other, they sometimes forget that they do, or that it matters to show it. But they do, we can see examples every day now. 

Keep well and safe everyone 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was glad to find out that Italy's going to open its borders to European citizens from the beginning of June, without bearing quarantine as well as Greece and GB. It makes me believe that coming back to normal life will be sooner than we were afraid of!

Edited by Lagerta
  • Like 1

I am so happy  and terrified at the same time! It's very soon to open borders, having in mind all the active cases at the moment.

And I hope places will not be crowded, coz that is going to make travel from place to place more difficult. I will be so cautious even at the beach. We know how crowded the beaches get, and no one is going to wear a mask at a beach 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 5:03 AM, Lagerta said:

Well I was glad to find out that Italy's going to open its borders to European citizens from the beginning of June, without bearing quarantine as well as Greece and GB

Could have a lot to do with economic necessity, as we hear a lot of discussion about now. It doesn't seem to be an easy call to make, trying to determine what's more critical, the danger to the people if they continue to get sick or the danger to the people if they cannot earn money to survive (and if they are sick and have no money, which is already happening) so...can't imagine what those metrics look like and being in the room talking about it.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:12 AM, Kate P.C said:

I am so happy  and terrified at the same time! It's very soon to open borders, having in mind all the active cases at the moment.

It is alarming...and a bit positive because everyone, I believe, is struggling with being restricted to virtually no contact, no activity, no joy. And we know, having visited Italy or being surrounded in Italian culture here in my neighborhoods, it is a culture that is about big groups, lots of food, people, music, going places, ...enjoy life. Siesta still happens in soooo many places; it never ceased to amaze me how in the 21st century, people, in the middle of the day simply walked out of work, shut it all down, took a big meal, maybe a little nap, and then resumed work (kind of, depending upon what the work was!) and so...yes. Italy surely needs their lives back, like we all do.

How will it go?  Non lo so. 

It's interesting because I thought, well, I am a dual citizen (part EU) but I don't imagine they would allow me to enter any EU country w/o a quarantine because I would be arriving from an NYC airport. About a month ago, tested negative. But that's a month ago, and I've been home, social distancing, hand sanitizing, masking.

I don't think know if I can stay in Rhode Island. If I were to call and say I want to reserve a B&B room and they say oh yes, where are you coming from, can I say "what's it to you?" or more politely, just say my real location, which is not ideal from a corona standpoint, and then they say "sorry, we're booked!" And there's no question people want to earn money but...at what cost? It's a very complicated and bizarre new normal. Not normal. 

I lived very close to WTC after 9/11 (and once worked there, 101st floor, tower 1) so our lives were deeply impacted for quite a while as rescue turned into recovery which lasted a long, long time, and then that eventually became excavation. And that addresses nothing of what it was like to drive anywhere...you can't imagine the blockades, police presence, being checked everywhere, weaponry presence, shut downs, daily changes; there was never anything "normal" about growing up/living here but it then became like something from a movie. Initially, this reminded me a bit of that time, but it's not the same for a lot of different reasons. One being we had answers a lot quicker (mostly) and knew what steps to take to keep a lot of people safe.

Travel wasn't normal for a while, people stayed home for awhile, but it wasn't because they couldn't travel; they just chose not to. Everyone can only do what feels right for themselves. 

No one knows how any of this is going to work. We'll have to stay tuned. 

Meanwhile, if you're feeling creative and need something to pass a little your shelter in place time (put the phone down!) but still with cruising in mind, give us your version of the CC Coloring Page. There is a blank page in our gallery for you to print, download, and color. Upload your completed page into a post in our gallery. If you're not keen on doing a page, give one to your kiddos, grandkids, nieces, nephews, cats/dogs (paw art is a thing!) we've got some junior cruiser art already up! 

Stay safe and well. 

Edited by Host Bonjour

On 5/24/2020 at 2:56 AM, Host Bonjour said:

Could have a lot to do with economic necessity, as we hear a lot of discussion about now. It doesn't seem to be an easy call to make, trying to determine what's more critical, the danger to the people if they continue to get sick or the danger to the people if they cannot earn money to survive (and if they are sick and have no money, which is already happening) so...can't imagine what those metrics look like and being in the room talking about it.

It is alarming...and a bit positive because everyone, I believe, is struggling with being restricted to virtually no contact, no activity, no joy. And we know, having visited Italy or being surrounded in Italian culture here in my neighborhoods, it is a culture that is about big groups, lots of food, people, music, going places, ...enjoy life. Siesta still happens in soooo many places; it never ceased to amaze me how in the 21st century, people, in the middle of the day simply walked out of work, shut it all down, took a big meal, maybe a little nap, and then resumed work (kind of, depending upon what the work was!) and so...yes. Italy surely needs their lives back, like we all do.

How will it go?  Non lo so. 

It's interesting because I thought, well, I am a dual citizen (part EU) but I don't imagine they would allow me to enter any EU country w/o a quarantine because I would be arriving from an NYC airport. About a month ago, tested negative. But that's a month ago, and I've been home, social distancing, hand sanitizing, masking.

I don't think know if I can stay in Rhode Island. If I were to call and say I want to reserve a B&B room and they say oh yes, where are you coming from, can I say "what's it to you?" or more politely, just say my real location, which is not ideal from a corona standpoint, and then they say "sorry, we're booked!" And there's no question people want to earn money but...at what cost? It's a very complicated and bizarre new normal. Not normal. 

I lived very close to WTC after 9/11 (and once worked there, 101st floor, tower 1) so our lives were deeply impacted for quite a while as rescue turned into recovery which lasted a long, long time, and then that eventually became excavation. And that addresses nothing of what it was like to drive anywhere...you can't imagine the blockades, police presence, being checked everywhere, weaponry presence, shut downs, daily changes; there was never anything "normal" about growing up/living here but it then became like something from a movie. Initially, this reminded me a bit of that time, but it's not the same for a lot of different reasons. One being we had answers a lot quicker (mostly) and knew what steps to take to keep a lot of people safe.

Travel wasn't normal for a while, people stayed home for awhile, but it wasn't because they couldn't travel; they just chose not to. Everyone can only do what feels right for themselves. 

No one knows how any of this is going to work. We'll have to stay tuned. 

Meanwhile, if you're feeling creative and need something to pass a little your shelter in place time (put the phone down!) but still with cruising in mind, give us your version of the CC Coloring Page. There is a blank page in our gallery for you to print, download, and color. Upload your completed page into a post in our gallery. If you're not keen on doing a page, give one to your kiddos, grandkids, nieces, nephews, cats/dogs (paw art is a thing!) we've got some junior cruiser art already up! 

Stay safe and well. 

It always takes time to overcome a serious upheaval. First people can't even imagine they will be able to go back to normal, but gradually life takes over..I'm trying to stay positive and dreaming of our future travel without particular dates yet..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lagerta said:

It always takes time to overcome a serious upheaval. First people can't even imagine they will be able to go back to normal, but gradually life takes over..I'm trying to stay positive and dreaming of our future travel without particular dates yet..

Don't stop dreaming. Keep reading about places you love, either in memoirs, travel bios, novels, guides. And watch TV, movies, documentaries set in locations that you've visited and would like to visit. It will eventually get back to things going again, we just don't have a date yet, but it will. You'll want to be ready with ideas/plans or what could be fun will be jumping on an opportunity to visit some place randomly, maybe an amazing price to someplace you hadn't thought of before (or something discovered in your armchair travels) that is just too good to resist. You never know. 😉

Hang in there 🙂

5 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Don't stop dreaming. Keep reading about places you love, either in memoirs, travel bios, novels, guides. And watch TV, movies, documentaries set in locations that you've visited and would like to visit. It will eventually get back to things going again, we just don't have a date yet, but it will. You'll want to be ready with ideas/plans or what could be fun will be jumping on an opportunity to visit some place randomly, maybe an amazing price to someplace you hadn't thought of before (or something discovered in your armchair travels) that is just too good to resist. You never know. 😉

Hang in there 🙂

Oh yeas at least we have possibility to "travel" online now..actually I'm watching some videos about  remote locations I hardly know about. Like Altai region in Siberia or Kamchatka landmarks