2 southwest questions..

petuniaflower

1) For family boarding, I read each child 6 and under can have 2 adults.  Does that have to be on the same reservation?  Meaning, if we (2 adults) are travelling with 2 friends who have 2 kids, but we'll be on 2 different ressies, can they have 4 adults board with them?  Hope this makes sense..

2) Should people with kids under 6 who qualify for family pre boarding do online check in at 24 hours or not?  

Thx

Question 1.

Are you asking can you do it and get away with it? or are you asking what's fair and righteous?

That's like asking if you can save seats for friends boarding after you do. It's against policy, but the airline and flight crew won't do anything to stop you from doing it. Doesn't make it right though.

Question 2.

I don't know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petuniaflower said:

Im asking if the policy is that each 6 year old and under gets 2 adult companions regardless of being on the same reservation?

Think of how kids can now go around the boarding area and say "Hey mister....for a small fee you can board early with me".

It's for families traveling together on a reservation.  They can't just "add on" additional adults.

If you really want to board early, spring for the Early Bird.

BTW, do you spread out a ton of towels and paperbacks to save pool lounger chairs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Think of how kids can now go around the boarding area and say "Hey mister....for a small fee you can board early with me".

It's for families traveling together on a reservation.  They can't just "add on" additional adults.

If you really want to board early, spring for the Early Bird.

BTW, do you spread out a ton of towels and paperbacks to save pool lounger chairs?

I have not thought of kids going around saying that...

Reason I asked is because the family we are travelling with are first time on a plane with 2 littles and they had asked if that would work so we could help them. 

Got it, for people on the same reservation, thanks for the response.

Will look into Early Bird, thanks!

BTW I do not..🤣

Hope you feel better after asking! Have a good one!

+1 on the early bird suggestion.  Families get to board after the "A" group which mostly means you can get seats together but not always.  For example, if the flight has several thru-passengers originating at a prior city then many desirable seats may be taken.

I consider Southwest my go-to airline* and the open seating policy means that, with a few precautions, I can get a reasonable seat without being an A+++ super gold-platinum member but there are a few downsides.  Flying with families without being prepared is one of them.  I do feel sorry for people coming in with the C group with two children in tow and have been known to change seats to a middle to accommodate.  The fact is, however, that it's a reasonably preventable problem.

*I must admit a certain bias as I had the pleasure of knowing the pilot who flew their first revenue flight.

Edited by txjim09
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:02 PM, petuniaflower said:

1) For family boarding, I read each child 6 and under can have 2 adults.  Does that have to be on the same reservation?  Meaning, if we (2 adults) are travelling with 2 friends who have 2 kids, but we'll be on 2 different ressies, can they have 4 adults board with them?  Hope this makes sense..

2) Should people with kids under 6 who qualify for family pre boarding do online check in at 24 hours or not?  

Thx

Each child can have two parents or legal guardians.  Not two friend of the family, third cousins, or people they met at the bar at the airport.  As the children are siblings, they won't get four adults, they will get their parents.

Of course they should do the check-in.  Children under six do not qualify for "pre-boarding" but rather "family boarding which happens after Group A is fully boarded.  "Pre-boarding" is reserved for wheelchairs and other people with mobility issues.

If getting on the plane and sitting together is that important, perhaps spend the money on Early Bird.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:16 AM, petuniaflower said:

I have not thought of kids going around saying that...

Reason I asked is because the family we are travelling with are first time on a plane with 2 littles and they had asked if that would work so we could help them. 

Got it, for people on the same reservation, thanks for the response.

Will look into Early Bird, thanks!

BTW I do not..🤣

Hope you feel better after asking! Have a good one!

If they can't each handle one little, perhaps they should reconsider travel at this point in their lives.  

• Like 1