Sad day today - cancelled my cruise

Baby_Bear

My mom and I were booked on the Caribbean Princess on May 16 out of Fort Lauderdale. In view of the increase in coronavirus cases across the US, we reluctantly decided over the weekend to cancel our cruise. My mom turned 70 last year and would therefore be at greater risk in the event she got the virus, although she has no major health concerns aside from arthritis. Both of us love to cruise and were super excited to be sailing again after all land-based trips last year, but recent events plus the CDC warning just tipped the scales in favor of playing it safe. Ironically, while I'm more worried about her getting the virus, she herself isn't worried so much about getting sick as opposed to getting quarantined (which is an additional worry for me too given work pressures, etc.).

So I called Princess early this morning. After a wait time of 1 hour, 45 minutes, I got through to an exhausted sounding Princess rep and cancelled. She noted it might take them up to 5 days to process the cancellation as their systems are so backed up. Is this what other people are hearing? She told me they have been swamped with cancellation calls all weekend. We are 68 days from sailing, so that should be fine. We will get back all but the deposit - not sure about that. She sounded confused about the deposit - it was booked as non refundable, but she thought that in view of the unusual circumstances, Princess might give me back the deposit as a future cruise credit. Maybe someone here can confirm? Regardless, its $200 and while I would much prefer not to lose it, if I have to eat it, I will. 

So that's my cancellation story. We are both so sad to cancel, we hope we did the right thing, but who knows?

As an aside, spare a thought for the cruise line reps and cruise TA's who are all getting hammered right now with calls. And prepare for long hold times!

Stay safe everyone and happy cruising. Now off to change flights!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to hear. At 70 I have seven cruises booked and don't plan on cancelling any.  Our only concern is that they keep cancelling sailings and it wouldn't be much fun to get to the port and not have a ship to sail on.

• Like 4

So are you getting money back or future cruise credit. We cancelled an April cruise this week and was in 50% penalty cancellation.

Two days after cancelling, my 50% was back on my credit card. The balance, I opened a claim with AON(Princess Ins.) yesterday and will get it as a credit toward future cruise.Dollar amount for the Future Cruise Deposit is lumped in to the cost of the cruise that I paid and isn't returned as a separate amount. My deposit was not a non refundable.

Aon rep. said it could take at least a month before the future cruise credit will be processed and in my account.

I could have canceled for Medical and gotten 100% back. It actually was a medical reason. However, since we will be cruising in the future and hopefully my husband's medical reason will not be an issue, easier for us to do Cancel For Any reason.Nothing needed except copy of Princess reservation form.

It is impossible to get through to AON during the week. On Sunday, a couple of minutes. If you have no questions, the claim is easy and is done on line. Took me  a couple of minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel your pain.

My DW and I are scheduled to sail on the Royal Princess on March 28th.  As recently as Friday, we planned to go still.  However, given the weekend events, we have decided to cancel - although we have not actually done the deed yet.  The Possibility of quarantine is a huge factor as we are both working age (latter half of our 40s).  My DW has high blood pressure which is  a risk factor if you get the virus which is a concern.

We are considering adjusting our vacation to a shorter land vacation but it is a difficult decision right now.

• Like 2

I’m sorry you had to cancel. We did too and it’s so disappointing. We were mostly concerned about getting quarantined and not being able to get home. I think you made the right call because both for the quarantine possibility but even more so because the mortality rate of this virus greatly increases with age, so with your mother being 70 it’s just not worth the risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

So are you getting money back or future cruise credit. We cancelled an April cruise this week and was in 50% penalty cancellation.

Two days after cancelling, my 50% was back on my credit card. The balance, I opened a claim with AON(Princess Ins.) yesterday and will get it as a credit toward future cruise.Dollar amount for the Future Cruise Deposit is lumped in to the cost of the cruise that I paid and isn't returned as a separate amount. My deposit was not a non refundable.

Aon rep. said it could take at least a month before the future cruise credit will be processed and in my account.

I could have canceled for Medical and gotten 100% back. It actually was a medical reason. However, since we will be cruising in the future and hopefully my husband's medical reason will not be an issue, easier for us to do Cancel For Any reason.Nothing needed except copy of Princess reservation form.

It is impossible to get through to AON during the week. On Sunday, a couple of minutes. If you have no questions, the claim is easy and is done on line. Took me  a couple of minutes.

On Friday , We cancelled our april 19 cruise . Also had AON CFAR insurance.. did it online...  but hoped it would also show up as refund to CC Vs FCC . when you talked to AON Agent did they say definitively it was a FCC? 

.. still waiting for Princess refund but understand the backlog.

I cancelled my April 19th cruise on Friday. If I waited longer, I would be in 100% penalty (Friday I was in 75%).

Oddly, there was a sense of relief once I made the decision. My trip included France (and 3 nights hotel after in Paris) and they have over 1000 cases now. 

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Our fear right now is two fold: potentially getting quarantined, and above all, any health issues for mom. I do think seniors are more at risk, consistent with regular flu. If we were quarantined, I would have to miss an additional 2 weeks of work, which would not be well regarded by the bosses. But obviously the first priority is to try to stay healthy. 

@SanDiegoSue Our cruise was leaving on May 16, so 68 days out. We should therefore receive a full refund, except for the deposit of $200. As I mentioned, there's some confusion- the Princess rep seemed to think we could get that back as a future cruise credit in view of the temporary revised cancellation policy, but it was booked as a non refundable deposit, so I'm not sure at all. I guess we'll know if it shows up as an FCC or not. 

@DaveyCaper I totally agree. We are now looking at land based options. Just seems less fun than a cruise, although that's probably just my grumpy mood talking, lol! The other problem is, with this virus spreading all over the globe, it sort of limits where we can go. 

We're due to sail on May 17th from Vancouver to Alaska and sadly, we're thinking it may not happen as well.

After the State Dept.'s warning and now Canada is advising the same, the fears are not for ourselves, but of getting quarantined, cancelled ports/tours/flights, etc. The stress is not worth it.

We are both 61, diabetic and last year, I was hospitalized with sepsis. In December,, DW had two surgeries for breast cancer and finishes radiation on Friday, so we're both in the 'at risk' group.

Currently, I'm trying to look at our options and of course, with the world and his wife calling cruise lines, hotels, airlines and TAs, and anyone else they can, it's impossible to speak to anyone!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

the fears are not for ourselves, but of getting quarantined, cancelled ports/tours/flights, etc.

agreed - the fear of catching COVID-19 < 5%

cancelled ports, etc - totally dependent on which ports, tours, etc, and if we had been there before

potential of 14+ day quarantine - that's the kicker - at least 80% of the reason to cancel

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baby_Bear said:

My mom and I were booked on the Caribbean Princess on May 16 out of Fort Lauderdale. In view of the increase in coronavirus cases across the US, we reluctantly decided over the weekend to cancel our cruise. My mom turned 70 last year and would therefore be at greater risk in the event she got the virus, although she has no major health concerns aside from arthritis. Both of us love to cruise and were super excited to be sailing again after all land-based trips last year, but recent events plus the CDC warning just tipped the scales in favor of playing it safe. Ironically, while I'm more worried about her getting the virus, she herself isn't worried so much about getting sick as opposed to getting quarantined (which is an additional worry for me too given work pressures, etc.).

So I called Princess early this morning. After a wait time of 1 hour, 45 minutes, I got through to an exhausted sounding Princess rep and cancelled. She noted it might take them up to 5 days to process the cancellation as their systems are so backed up. Is this what other people are hearing? She told me they have been swamped with cancellation calls all weekend. We are 68 days from sailing, so that should be fine. We will get back all but the deposit - not sure about that. She sounded confused about the deposit - it was booked as non refundable, but she thought that in view of the unusual circumstances, Princess might give me back the deposit as a future cruise credit. Maybe someone here can confirm? Regardless, its $200 and while I would much prefer not to lose it, if I have to eat it, I will. 

So that's my cancellation story. We are both so sad to cancel, we hope we did the right thing, but who knows?

As an aside, spare a thought for the cruise line reps and cruise TA's who are all getting hammered right now with calls. And prepare for long hold times!

Stay safe everyone and happy cruising. Now off to change flights!

Losing $200 is not so bad.   IMO, you made the right decision to cancel.  This is not a good time to go on a cruise.   See warnings from CDC website, and Dr. Fauci to avoid cruises, and why.   

Maybe 2021-2022,  if a Covid -19 vaccine  is developed, tested, and safe for the public.

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

@Guindalf I totally understand. It's hard to decide but if you do decide to cancel, just be super patient. The Princess lines and I'm sure all the TA lines are getting slammed right now with cancellations. I thought I'd call early today - the first time, the call got disconnected and the second time, it took an hour, 45 minutes. And you will probably get a tired and harassed rep who has dealt with 20 such requests already. This situation is putting so much strain on a lot of people. 

22 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

We're due to sail on May 17th from Vancouver to Alaska and sadly, we're thinking it may not happen as well.

After the State Dept.'s warning and now Canada is advising the same, the fears are not for ourselves, but of getting quarantined, cancelled ports/tours/flights, etc. The stress is not worth it.

We are both 61, diabetic and last year, I was hospitalized with sepsis. In December,, DW had two surgeries for breast cancer and finishes radiation on Friday, so we're both in the 'at risk' group.

Currently, I'm trying to look at our options and of course, with the world and his wife calling cruise lines, hotels, airlines and TAs, and anyone else they can, it's impossible to speak to anyone!

I suspect that Alaska ports will be closed like hawaii by that time.  Considering Seattle is a large originating port and has a high percentage of infected most likely Alaska will close the ports.   They are one of the few states with no infections and have the highest risk due to the temperature there.  If they were smart they will close off all air travel and land travel from Canada for the time being until this gets under control. Only goods would be allowed in and out.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I suspect that Alaska ports will be closed like hawaii by that time.  Considering Seattle is a large originating port and has a high percentage of infected most likely Alaska will close the ports.   They are one of the few states with no infections and have the highest risk due to the temperature there.  If they were smart they will close off all air travel and land travel from Canada for the time being until this gets under control. Only goods would be allowed in and out.  

We just recently moved to the Seattle area and visions of cruising to Alaska every summer were dancing in my head! Imagine no air fare, no travel   concerns for the first time in over 35 cruises,   and now we  live in the epi-center of this virus and cruising from Seattle is  not even a tiny  blip in my worried mind.  Stay safe everyone!

• Like 1

I’m leaning more and more towards cancelling our mid June Alaska cruise. The new final payment date is now April 14, but if I cancel by tomorrow, I can get a refund on our travel insurance as that had a 10 day policy review period. I had set that up just prior to the original PIF date so that an existing medical condition would be covered. Not sure if I were to cancel and take out a new policy just prior to the new PIF date would still cover pre-existing. 

As we are booked in a suite, there is a significant dollar amount at stake here if we did have to cancel closer to departure date. It would be a little easier to “let it ride” if I knew for sure that Princess would extend the FCC for June departures as we would simply use that credit to make final payment on our HI Thanksgiving Cruise.

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

Sorry to hear. At 70 I have seven cruises booked and don't plan on cancelling any.  Our only concern is that they keep cancelling sailings and it wouldn't be much fun to get to the port and not have a ship to sail on.

Hopefully, you will be able to enjoy all your cruises without an incident or inconvenience.

But kindly do take into consideration the cost to the taxpayers in terms of not only money but valuable medical/logistical resources diverted whenever this "very low risk" event happen.

We are not there yet but at some point "I want to cruise" may be viewed as anti-social desire while pandemic is in full swing. On percentage basis, cruise ship passengers have drained lot more national resources than any other demographics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cancelling now seems to be the predominant theme.  We can always book later if/when this crisis starts to wind down.  I personally think the cruise lines will reduce pricing to draw customers back, assuming the virus is winding down.  And if you think you need insurance it can always be purchased at that time of booking.

We cancelled our cruise and land tour in northern Europe in the weekend too.  Wasn't worth it to us to be on the other side of the world for a month at this time.  If you travel when your government issues a warning not to, would that affect your insurance or the consular assistance you request?

A ship carrying 3500 + people who need to be tested and quarantined puts a severe strain on the port and countries resources.  It is probable that more and more countries will close their ports to cruise ships for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

On Friday , We cancelled our april 19 cruise . Also had AON CFAR insurance.. did it online...  but hoped it would also show up as refund to CC Vs FCC . when you talked to AON Agent did they say definitively it was a FCC? 

.. still waiting for Princess refund but understand the backlog.

You are in the 50% penalty phase. It took a couple of days and I got a refund on my credit card. It was for 1/2 the fare and I think maybe port taxes.No explanation just a dollar figure. I was thinking maybe Princess will do the other 50% automatically. In reading the letter for people with no Ins. , apparently they just get it. For people with Ins. said to apply to Aon. I asked the AON rep if we would get it automatically but she didn't know and to be safe she said apply for it on line. She also said it could take at least a month before we get it. Cancel for any reason is a FCC.

If you do it medical, cash refund.

Edited by san diego sue

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

If they were smart they will close off all air travel and land travel from Canada for the time being until this gets under control. Only goods would be allowed in and out.  

They might do that after the Iditarod's over. It's going on currently, and it'll be over way before the cruise season starts there.

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

Good on you.  👏

I am sure you did a risk assessment for you age, and health.   (See CDC, Dr. Fauci of NIH. And US State Department warning).

And at your age, why not go?   Pragmatically,  you do not knowhow much time  you have left.

Enjoy your cruises. Have fun.  Stay healthy,  and do not get infected  with Covid-19.

• Like 2

That is crazy with what has happened for anyone with a future business mind, not to offer 100% credit including deposit back under these circumstances is simply terrible.

With bonds so low the cost of borrowing is negligible, better keep a happy disappointed future customer, then a few more dollars in your pocket but an angry customer that will always remember and pick another line in a few years when good times are back.

11 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

That is crazy with what has happened for anyone with a future business mind, not to offer 100% credit including deposit back under these circumstances is simply terrible.

With bonds so low the cost of borrowing is negligible, better keep a happy disappointed future customer, then a few more dollars in your pocket but an angry customer that will always remember and pick another line in a few years when good times are back.

That is  why CCL will keep cruisers  on the OBC hook to cruise with Princess.   Cruisers  taking the bait by offering OBC.   😁

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1