Sad day today - cancelled my cruise

Baby_Bear

7 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

I am curious as to why people feel the need to tell everyone that they cancelled a cruise. Why not just cancel it, go about your daily life an be done with it.

Because this is a cruising community, where people discuss all aspects of the cruise experience, including reasons for booking and cancelling among other things. And particularly at this time, when lots of people are cancelling or reconsidering whether or not to cruise at the time, its helpful to share reasons, and also what the experience was like when cancelling. I personally have learned a lot from the posts of a lot of people here. For people not interested in the topic, nothing easier than just moving on to other topics. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We canceled our June 13 Alaska cruise because we were told the final payment date was moved to April 15, but our refundable deposit would be lost.  Not worth the risk with all the issues currently.  Our bigger loss right now is looking at our stock price which is down 47% for us.  We will not sell and will just ride this out. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baby_Bear said:

Because this is a cruising community, where people discuss all aspects of the cruise experience, including reasons for booking and cancelling among other things. And particularly at this time, when lots of people are cancelling or reconsidering whether or not to cruise at the time, its helpful to share reasons, and also what the experience was like when cancelling. I personally have learned a lot from the posts of a lot of people here. For people not interested in the topic, nothing easier than just moving on to other topics. 

Thanks for your comments. Better than what first came to my mind.

I would add that besides getting others reasons, reactions and experiences it also stands to reason that ‘misery loves company’ ; it helps to know we aren’t the only ones weighing the pros and cons before making a difficult decision.

i would assume anyone reading this thread was in the same boat.

Edited by remydiva
Typo

13 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Justalone,

I can understand about not being afraid to go. But I just keep think about someone else getting sick. Now I’m kept in my cabin for 14 days and then I may be kept lockup on a Army base for another 14 days. 😳

Tony

Tony I agree with your sentiments. The anxiety and uncertainty was taking all the fun of looking forward to our cruise. I’m still upset but we too cancelled on Friday.

We're concerned about our mid-May Alaska cruise -- we really want to go. The Princess policy stated that we must cancel by March 31st in order to get the FCC.  Several other lines are not putting an artificial must cancel by date.   It seems like if someone is on fence the March 31st deadline might push them to cancel.  It may push us to cancel - we would much prefer to see how bad things are closer to our sailing date in May.  

We are hoping they re-think the March 31st date when they realize it is encouraging people to cancel .  The OBC if we cruise is a nice gesture, but it will play absolutely no part in our decision.  

• Like 2

Consider the following statement from the U.S. State Department ... “While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities"

No one knows how quickly a situation will evolve overnight.  Am sure the passengers aboard the Grand Princess did not expect to be in the situation they are right now.  Now with official statements from the Canada's Chief Public Health Officer recommending Canadians avoid all travel on cruise ships ... and the U.S. State Department advising Americans against traveling on cruise ships and the CDC recommending travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide ... people have to make some tough choices.  Our tough choice will be coming up later this year ... 

I called my TA today and got through almost immediately. she said not too many Alaska cruisers are calling at the moment but the wait time for a TA to contact Princess was four hours plus over the weekend!

We are due to sail on May 17th from Vancouver and back to Seattle on the 24th. If we cancel now, we'd get all but $200 as a refund with the remainder as FCC. We will, of course, lose our independently sourced insurance (which doesn't cover this situation) and our non-refundable hotel in Vancouver although the latter may be revised. Our cut-off date before it becomes 50-50 refund/FCC is March 22nd, so we have another week plus to see what develops before actually cancelling.

To be honest, I don't see the situation improving in the next ten days so it will more than likely result in cancellation, but I'll remain hopeful for that time as it's not costing anything to do so!

We were cruising just one day before you on May 16. One thing to keep in mind - I was advised by Princess on Monday when I called them that it was taking them up to 5 days to process cancellations as they are so backed up. Now I am not sure (and forgot to ask!) whether the cancellation stands effective on the day you send in the request, or the day that Princess actually processes it. Since we were more than 68 days out, I preferred to cancel within that 8 day window so we would get back the entire cruise fare, less $200 deposit, to my card. Once you go inside that 60 day window, its 50% refund to card only and the remainder as a cruise credit. Realistically, most of us will cruise again once the situation normalizes, but I'd prefer to have as little of my money tied up with Princess (or any cruise line). Just frees you up to spend that same amount on a good land based trip.

We also just cancelled our May 9 cruise from LA to Vancouver.    We're both in the high risk age category plus I'm on medication that suppresses my immune system.    It's really pretty depressing since we don't know when or if we will be able to reschedule - so maybe we're in the 'misery loves company' category.   We have one more cruise booked in September from Vancouver to Hawaii - will wait on a decision on that one until final payment date rolls around.    

The only good part of the process was that our TA made it easy:   we sent them an email, they emailed back a cancellation request form that we quickly filled out and emailed back.    No hours on the phone!  They do charge a $50pp cancellation fee, but I don't begrudge them that amount - many TA's are going to have difficulty staying business with severely reduced commissions coming in.   

1 hour ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We're concerned about our mid-May Alaska cruise -- we really want to go. The Princess policy stated that we must cancel by March 31st in order to get the FCC.  Several other lines are not putting an artificial must cancel by date.   It seems like if someone is on fence the March 31st deadline might push them to cancel.  It may push us to cancel - we would much prefer to see how bad things are closer to our sailing date in May.  

We are hoping they re-think the March 31st date when they realize it is encouraging people to cancel .  The OBC if we cruise is a nice gesture, but it will play absolutely no part in our decision.  

I agree!  We are in the same boat with a May 4 sailing.  Much rather have more time to cancel and see how things go.  

• Like 1

I sadly also cancelled our May 23rd Alaska cruise out of Seattle. I booked it as a surprise to my wife 18 months ago. I will try again next year.😢

On a different note some cruise lines are adding to their contract that you will be responsible for any extra days on the ship due to a quarantine .

• Like 1

I understand your disappointment. Yesterday we cancelled our caribbean cruise that is leaving this Saturday. We had waffled on it all last week but after seeing people turned away at the last minute for their cruises and then reading that a greeter at Port Everglades tested positive, we feel comfortable with our decision.  I’m not as worried about the virus as I am about being quarantined in an unfamiliar place for weeks. There are still people sick and/or quarantined from the Diamond Princess. Hopefully those still cruising will stay healthy and have a wonderful time.  We will rebook something for the future.

I'm so sorry you had to cancel but I completely understand why you did. My fear would be being quarantined and having my cat in the boarding facility and my kid missing school, etc. (along with my work but I wouldn't feel too badly about that). Hope you can re-schedule and have a great time sometime in the future!

Today - March 10th, we received the Itinerary change for our April 11th Mediterranean Cruise on the Crown.  Ports in Italy removed and they added Toulon/Provence instead of Genoa, Sete instead of Florence/Pisa, and Tarragona instead of Rome.  We were disembarking in Rome and staying 2 days and flying home from Rome (flights booked through Princess).  When I looked at my booking on the Princess website, our flights have been cancelled.  We had two excursions booked through the ship, the one in Italy has been cancelled of course.  I don't understand the credit & payment statement.  It shows a credit balance of $1,833.68 (not sure if that was credited back to my credit card).  I'll call tomorrow and sadly cancel the cruise.  We had started with an obstructed view cabin and now have a balcony, mid-ship, mid-deck due to 2 upgrades from Princess.  I already looked at re-booking for April 2021 and the same cruise, same itinerary is about $700 more per passenger for an interior cabin which we DO not want.  There are 3 of us, myself and my 2 adult daughters.  It was planned for over a year.  Italy was a MUST SEE for us.  SAd day for us.  Stay healthy fellow cruisers and those of you who continue on with this cruise, best of luck.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Guindalf said:

I called my TA today and got through almost immediately. she said not too many Alaska cruisers are calling at the moment but the wait time for a TA to contact Princess was four hours plus over the weekend!

We are due to sail on May 17th from Vancouver and back to Seattle on the 24th. If we cancel now, we'd get all but $200 as a refund with the remainder as FCC. We will, of course, lose our independently sourced insurance (which doesn't cover this situation) and our non-refundable hotel in Vancouver although the latter may be revised. Our cut-off date before it becomes 50-50 refund/FCC is March 22nd, so we have another week plus to see what develops before actually cancelling.

To be honest, I don't see the situation improving in the next ten days so it will more than likely result in cancellation, but I'll remain hopeful for that time as it's not costing anything to do so!

Please note that Vancouver and the surrounding area, particularly Richmond have the largest Asian population in North America.  It is not surprising that the first outbreak in the US occurred just across the border from that area.  Also Canada did not stop flights from China as quickly as the US did.  Why don’t we see high numbers in British Columbia? I Believe they are not providing accurate numbers.  It is impossible given the population and proximity to China, their case number isn’t higher.  Be very careful when in Vancouver. 

It was all very predictable. All those news concerning V story effected not only the cruise business but also oil business and tourism in general. People lost money and time. Invested money in risky affairs and now they are left with nothing. Many of my coworkers have canceled their trips, cruises and other activities connected with tourism. My neighbour was the only one who went on a cruise from NY. But even he got to spend over 6 hours just to reambark from the ship. And he was lucky btw. His ship (forgot the name) was the lost that NY accepted

Fellow cruise mates;  this entire situation is bad;  I feel sorry for all who have cancelled your cruises or have had them cancelled by the cruise line.  We all save up to take these vacations; some of us start years out and have the anticipation of having so much fun on our cruises.  Then we have this virus show up worldwide and it is effecting the entire world; cruises, riverboats, airlines.   I feel everyone's pain and disappointment.  Keep the faith, this will pass;  hopefully sooner than later.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ycl said:

Please note that Vancouver and the surrounding area, particularly Richmond have the largest Asian population in North America.  It is not surprising that the first outbreak in the US occurred just across the border from that area.  Also Canada did not stop flights from China as quickly as the US did.  Why don’t we see high numbers in British Columbia? I Believe they are not providing accurate numbers.  It is impossible given the population and proximity to China, their case number isn’t higher.  Be very careful when in Vancouver. 

Wow! These are quite loaded statements, ycl.  I live in Vancouver(and work in healthcare) and you do not know of what you speak. Please do not spread rumors of YOUR belief British Columbia is not providing accurate numbers concerning infection rates or any other baseless comments.  It serves no purpose but to fear monger.

More sadness.  We cancelled our 14 day b2b for Mar 29 on the Regal today.  The cruise has disappeared on the Personalizer, Princess says it will take a few days for the paperwork to catch up.  They are overwhelmed but I was only on hold for about 5 minutes before speaking to them.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2

I am hoping that our cruise on Saturday does not get cancelled!  I feel like it is a minute by minute process and so stressful.  We were scheduled last Saturday, so our bags were never unpacked because we knew we were going to try for March 14th.  But I am concerned about the announcement by the President tonight.  

What cruise lines are setting up policies that we are responsible for days on the ship in case of quarantine?

2 hours ago, gypsygal1962 said:

Wow! These are quite loaded statements, ycl.  I live in Vancouver(and work in healthcare) and you do not know of what you speak. Please do not spread rumors of YOUR belief British Columbia is not providing accurate numbers concerning infection rates or any other baseless comments.  It serves no purpose but to fear monger.

I totally agree.. I also live in Vancouver also worked 40 yrs in front line health care. Our provincial health head Dr Henry is doing a fabulous job of informing, handling and monitoring the situation.

The comments by Ycl amount to racial profiling and fear mongering imho.

9 minutes ago, remydiva said:

I totally agree.. I also live in Vancouver also worked 40 yrs in front line health care. Our provincial health head Dr Henry is doing a fabulous job of informing, handling and monitoring the situation.

The comments by Ycl amount to racial profiling and fear mongering imho.

Thank you for responding. I am happy to hear you are in control of the situation.  I did notice you did not dispute my assertion regarding large Asian population.  Regardless, I am happy you are all doing well.   

We have 2 cruises planned, one in May out Vancouver and one in June out of Seattle we aren't planning on canceling any of them. If the prices keep coming down on Alaska cruises we might do another cruise out of Seattle. We aren't to worried about getting sick.