Last Minute Liberty Trip – Planning, Thoughts, Opinions

My husband (50) and I (45) had been kicking around the idea of a cruise for just the 2 of us sometime this spring.  Finally last week we went for it and booked the April 19th sailing on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston.  This will be my 3rd cruise and my husband’s 2nd.  I cruised on the SS Norway (NCL) back in the early 90s, and we took our 2 boys on the Carnival Triumph about 6 years ago.  I am a planner and researcher, although I like to think I can go with the flow for the most part.  I have found so much great information on CC, so I thought starting a thread would help me find some answers and help me make some decisions, and hopefully help others out along the way as well.

Travel/Parking: We live about 5 hours from Galveston, but will be doing a college visit with our youngest at Texas State University in San Marcos on Saturday the 18th (where our middle son currently goes to school) so we will either get a hotel room in San Marcos and drive from there on Sunday morning, or look at a hotel in Galveston where we can stay & park. I am undecided on that and need to do some more research – feel free to chime in with your experiences and recommendations! Either way the youngest son will stay with big brother on Saturday night and drive himself home on Sunday morning.  

Stateroom: After looking at different options 100 times, we ultimately decided to book an interior guarantee.  We may come to regret not picking our room, and not having a balcony like we did on the Triumph. Even though our budget would allow for an ocean view or balcony, the savings were significant enough to make us pick the interior.  I think we will be fine!  But, now we have an email about the Royal Up program and a promenade view interior really intrigues me.  The minimum bid is $55/person, which does not seem like much at all.  Tell me what you know about these rooms – are they worth a little extra?  Am I getting excited over nothing because we won’t get it at the minimum bid anyway?  

Dining: With booking so close to sailing, our only dining option was the late seating.  We are usually more like “my time dining” people, but we will make the best of it.  I would much prefer late seating to early and we know that there are a lot of options for a late afternoon snack to tide us over.  I have Celiac disease and must eat a gluten free diet.  I have emailed the special needs department, and am still waiting for a reply, but have read enough reviews of gluten free eating on Royal ships to know that I will have plenty of choices.  If anyone has gluten free experience on the Liberty, and/or have any tips or must-eats, I am all ears!

Drinks: We have tossed around our options a LOT on this one.  We are not the drinkers we were in our younger days, but do enjoy a couple of drinks from time to time.  Ultimately we have decided that we are going to carry on our 2 12-packs of Coke Zero and 2 bottles of wine and just buy the rest as we go.  I will probably pack some Crystal Lite type packets to liven up some water from time to time, but we don’t feel that we would get our monies worth out of either the soda or the refreshments package. I *might* look in to buying a bottle of rum to be delivered to our room to make a few drinks ourselves, but we will probably just buy a couple of cocktails throughout the day as we want them. 

Ports/Excursions:  Or ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and the only one of those we have been to is Cozumel.  Since it is just the 2 of us, we will probably be looking to hang out on a beach with a couple of drinks for the most part and don’t feel the need to book an excursion in each port although we are not opposed to doing so either. Stingray City does peak my interest a little...  Tell me your favorites in these ports! 

Corona Virus:  We are 100% taking a wait-and-see approach on this, but are not worried.  A lot can change in 6 weeks and we have the option to postpone the trip.  We are healthy and our only concern would be getting ourselves in to a situation where we have to be quarantined. 

I feel like I have written a book – thanks for reading this long!  Please share your opinions.  I would love to hear your favorite places to hang out on the ship, shows that you would not want to miss, and overall recommendations.  We like a good mix of go & do, and relax and talk/people watch/read a book.  I think the thing that I am most looking forward to is the option to do both whenever we want to!

I've done pr cabins I think more than once. Pro is it's fun to watch parades and people from the window seat. Cons be sure and turn off your light... I got a eye full there is no forgetting of a very large naked man across the way. Shut the curtains if you undress, but I like the promenade cabins a lot.

I would stay where you are and see what you get or if prices drop, not pay 55/pp

Be sure to look for when they hand out tickets for the ice show and I hear the regular shows are extra good on liberty (I'm not going until after you)

It says there is a city park cafe, if it's like on oasis be sure and check it out for lunch, bags of chips, salads made to order, etc

Pizza hot and fresh is on promenade, skip the one upstairs, and get it fresh from the oven.

I had no trouble getting anytime, didnt know it was hard to get. You can change to it when you board, go to the middle dining room about 3 or 4 pm, dont remember.

Maybe I'm wrong, but think I've been on this class. Lots of good choices to eat.

I'd skip the drinks and save up for chops steak house, but I get free drinks being diamond.

• Like 1

I love staying on the beach, but it doesnt pay to park there and then uber to the port imo. The hotel shuttles stink. I'm parked at lighthouse, if you sign up you can get $5 off uncovered or $10 covered. $70 with a prompt shuttle to and from the port and will save you a hour after the cruise to park close.

There are some other parking options, but I no longer park at the hotel, not with the tiny savings. Either you have to book a more expensive hotel like holiday inn to get a shuttle, or it's free but you have to pay and the time to get to and from the port.

Staying on the beach is fun though.

• Like 1

Consider me a jaded cruiser.

For Grand Cayman, doing the Stingray City tour is a must.  My preference is the catamaran version.  We have done this many times and is on our must do list whenever we visit Grand Cayman. 

Other ports of call we do on our own.  Cozumel will be a good beach day, although I don't have any specific recommendations, as we normally do a bit of shopping and enjoy a truly local restaurant for lunch.

• Like 1

I'm probably jaded too. Grand Cayman isnt cheap to shop. There is a coffee shop on the street behind the main drag, a ways down. If you hit Burger King you went too far. I'm addicted to my games. If you buy something at the coffee shop you get the code to go online. I think Burger King has the same, but I didnt go all that way to eat at Burger King. 

Sting Ray's are the top thing to do. But once you've been there 10 or 20 times, I go to the coffee shop. 

The texas and middle of the country crowd on Liberty will be among the friendliest you run into. Lol, as long as you dont object to seeing someone in the dining room in a cowboy hat, who doesnt know to take it off.

It was only $50 pp more for a pr cabin on my cruise, but I'm on deck 10. Unless it's a balcony I'm not paying to give up my cabin. 

I went thru all the parking options when i booked parking for my cruise. Most are around 70, ezcruise is 81.19 to park and walk and a new one falstaff is 92.66, the rest are all about 70. Cruisepark etc. 

Inside or covered parking add about 10.00. 

I do like the pr cabins. The parades are so jam packed you have to get there early to see, so the pr cabin is awesome, but i like where my cabin is too.

Cayman has some turtle sanctuary type thing would be me. 

• Like 1

Maybe you know about these resources, but just in case:

Travel/Hotel/Parking: Cruise Critic has a board called Gulf Coast Departures, it helped me out a ton for my Liberty cruise. People post information about Galveston including hotels and parking. You can also ask specific questions there:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

Another place in Cruise Critic has a board for each Caribbean port. It is located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

Since you are a planner and researcher (like me) you'll find lots of great information specific to each of your ports. 

That said, if you want a beach in Falmouth look into Montego Bay, there are some beach clubs there. In Grand Cayman my favorite beach spot is Royal Palms Beach Club on Seven Mile Beach. Book a beach cabana! Cozumel I went to Paradise Beach, wanted to go to Nachi Cocom but I waited too long and they were sold out for my date. 

• Like 1

I'll be sailing on the 19th as well but on Carnival.  I live in Austin and I drive in the day before and get a hotel.  This will be my 3rd cruise and i've always gone in the day before and park at 1 of the parking facilities.  Easy peasy.

Also here's a thought.  I'm a solo traveler and since i'm not far from san marcos (live in S Austin) ya'll can pack up in my truck.  You can find a hotel to stay in (I can drop you off)and I can also pick you up on the day of the cruise since i'm already paid for parking.  I'm assuming your cruise is 7 days like mine.  If so I can bring you back to san marcos or you can leave your vehicle at my apt complex.  

Edited by IonImplantTech
  • Like 1

If you have any desire for rum tour there is 7 fathoms n Grand Cayman it’s a 10 cab ride from cruise terminal.  Small island distillery with many products. Tour of distillation process and samples of all their products (liqueurs included) it’s an hour or 2 but I would do it after beach time because they let you go behind the bar and pretty much pour your own 

• Like 1

Just got off the Liberty 3/8 for the second time this year and Love it.  Ask for my time dining when you board and then ask for a table for 2 then you can eat when you want.  There are no tickets for the ice show or any other show that we saw just show up at least 20 min or more early to get the seat you want.  For the shows in the theater we always sat in the back row and they were great seats, enjoyed all the shows even the late night comedy.  No park cafe or bags of chips that we found.  Chops and Gioviannis are both good.   Did not eat at the buffet for dinner but the last night looked really yummy, too bad we were already going to Chops. Have a great time!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrsMuffin said:

Travel/Parking: We live in the Houston area and use the lots across the street.  Took a shuttle once and I swore never again.

Stateroom: We only did outside or balcony rooms for our first cruises but our first inside room was on Liberty.  Since we don't spend a lot of time in the room, (except for sleeping late, almost total darkness) we love the value of the inside rooms. And if you want a bigger shower, go to the locker rooms by the gym. They also have steam and sauna rooms.

Dining: We did MyTime dining with some friends.  Wish we would have stuck to the late sitting.  I like not having to wait to be seated (but it was less then 5 minutes except the 1st night),  and rather know the table you are going to, the same waiters, plus the other couples did three nights of specialty dining.

Drinks: You can only bring 12 - 0.5 liter sodas per room.  We use the liquid water enhancers.

Ports/Excursions:  Cozumel: We found Sunset Restaurant and Bar.  It is about a 15 minute walk from the pier toward the city.  They have a great happy hour from 12 - 2 (ship's time). Drinks were 2 for $7 in February. Paradise Beach is a nice beach that has a pay as you go option.  The problem is we spent less at Sunset for 4 rounds of drinks (8 total) and a snack then the round trip taxi and entry fee to Paradise.

Grand Cayman: If you haven't done any stingray encounters, Stingray city is the place to go.  But if you want beach time, you can catch a shuttle to 7 mile beach.

Jamaica: If you haven't been and are in reasonable shape, you have to do Dunns River Falls. But it you want a beach, head to Doctor's Cove in Montego Bay.  We did a Place in the Sun excursion, they drop you off at a little shop first, so either sweet talk the guide to let you walk up to the beach or just go straight to Margaritaville.

Corona Virus:   Just monitor and hope all will be fine.  Hopefully as the weather warms the cases will start declining.

Edited by Junkhouse
  • Like 1

Stingray city is pretty awesome! Hope you decide to go! 

We’ve been to Falmouth twice. Both times we went to Hilton Rose Hall through Resort For A Day. They picked us up inside the port area and transported us by bus to the resort  and picked us up at the end of the day. Back to the ship with plenty of time for some shopping in the port area. Each time we were there we felt like we’d spent the day in paradise.

You pay a deposit in advance to Resort For A Day, then pay the balance at the resort. While you can pay by credit card,we heard that it was a much quicker and easier check in with cash, so that’s what we did. We did find the cash payment to the resort got us onto the beach much faster! 😀🏝

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, IonImplantTech said:

Also here's a thought.  I'm a solo traveler and since i'm not far from san marcos (live in S Austin) ya'll can pack up in my truck.  You can find a hotel to stay in (I can drop you off)and I can also pick you up on the day of the cruise since i'm already paid for parking.  I'm assuming your cruise is 7 days like mine.  If so I can bring you back to san marcos or you can leave your vehicle at my apt complex.  

I appreciate the offer, but we will not return to home through San Marcos/Austin.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Policy is carry on of one 12 pack per cabin water or soda, 17oz max of bottles or cans.... Myself, take 12ct 16.9oz BOTTLES of soda pop

Why did I think I had read that you could not take bottles, only cans?  Maybe that is another cruise line....  

You guys about have me talked in to Stingray City! 

And the Hilton Rose Hall resort looks amazing!  It has actually been on my radar as a place to vacation for a year or so.  We are in decent enough shape to do Dunns River Falls, but really don't have a desire to do that on this trip.  We will probably either do a resort or beach drop off here.  We have also considered just going to the Margaritaville there at the port.  

I am sure you will love the Liberty,  agree on sting ray city , I would pick a private tour rather than rccl since it will be cheaper and less crowded. We do love Jamaica but Dunn’s River is a long ride from ship , we normally just get a drink in margaritaville . Lots of choices in Cozumel which is one of my favorite ports , we normally go downtown have nice lunch in a great restaurant, wife loves shopping and haggling with merchants. Entertainment is what rccl excels in, much like SS Norway did 30 years ago. Do not miss the ice show it is amazing, it will be crowded so get there early but it is repeated a few times , first show will be totally full , last show not so much. We also liked play Saturday night fever, good piano bar called schooner , pub that normally has guitar player and other bands around the ship. 

• Like 1

If you just want a beach day in Cozumel, I'd recommend Nachi Cocoom.  They do limit the # of people allowed there on any given day (I think it's 150).  It's all inclusive and a super chill beach day.

I'd also give Rose Hall a thumbs up in Falmouth.  We loved our time there.

• Like 1

We just cancelled our Liberty sailing for this year, were due to leave on May 30th.  Myself and my husband may have risked going but our son and D.i.l were concerned that if the ship was quarantined they would be stuck for two weeks in a cabin with a five and a six year old... The stuff of nightmares.

I have cancelled our day at Nachi Cochim.    (Highly recomend it!)  and our stingray sailing adventure.  I feel really sorry for those small operators. In her reply Michele at Stngray told me I was the 67th person to cancel in two days!!!

So if you do go get in touch and take that catamaran tour, it gets excellent reviews.  We hope they are still in business as we have re-booked the exact same cruise for 2021!

https://stingraysailing.com/...

We loved our cruise on the Liberty last summer! 

We usually do Paradise Beach in Cozumel and have always had a good time there, but this last time we did the Atlantis submarine excursion and really enjoyed it.

In Grand Cayman, we went to the Royal Palms Beach Club. https://royalpalmscayman.com/

Hope you have a great time!

• Like 1

Promenade rooms on Liberty are great. Have had 4 on our 9 Liberty cruises. We try to get deck 6 (6309, 6311, 6313) looking out at the Promenade Cafe. FYI, your bottle of rum that you "might" purchase on board to enjoy during the cruise will be delivered to your room the night before you disembark. Enjoy your cruise. We'll be on Liberty for a B2B in Aug/Sept. Got a great deal on a hump balcony.

1 hour ago, Lucyonthesea said:

We just cancelled our Liberty sailing for this year, were due to leave on May 30th.  Myself and my husband may have risked going but our son and D.i.l were concerned that if the ship was quarantined they would be stuck for two weeks in a cabin with a five and a six year old... The stuff of nightmares.

I have cancelled our day at Nachi Cochim.    (Highly recomend it!)  and our stingray sailing adventure.  I feel really sorry for those small operators. In her reply Michele at Stngray told me I was the 67th person to cancel in two days!!!

So if you do go get in touch and take that catamaran tour, it gets excellent reviews.  We hope they are still in business as we have re-booked the exact same cruise for 2021!

https://stingraysailing.com/...

I hate that you had to cancel your cruise, but would not want to be stuck in a cabin with a five and six year old, no matter how well behaved they were or how much I loved them!  We are mindful of the risks, and will re-asses if necessary as we get closer, but for now we are being positive and looking forward to the trip.  

I have heard a lot of good things about Nachi Cochim (although I would totally feel comfortable just walking off the ship in Cozumel and not having something specific lined up) and will definitely checkout the link you included for the stingray sailing adventure.  

Thanks! 

Oh and Lighthouse Parking is great.  We've used them all 9 Liberty cruises. On our last Liberty cruise in October, I inadvertently dropped our passports in the parking lot and didn't notice it until we were in the terminal. I went back to where Lighthouse drops off passengers and they were on the next shuttle waiting for me.