What does the future of cruising look like?

Paulchili

37 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

This is likely why NCL was down more than the other lines today.  If it is true, NCL highly likely to go BK.  Corporations convicted of a crime are liquidated.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/coronavirus-norwegian-cruise-line-leaked-emails-show-booking-strategy-11590056

If I had any refundable money in an NCL property cruise, I would cancel.  If all this blows over one can always rebook.

Not sure the first line of the story creates an aura of unbiased reporting. 

"Cruise ships have long been called floating petri dishes."

15 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

You are right.  I had ad blockers on so only saw the basic text.  Not sure I would give a lot of credence to the article, after taking a look at it’s source...

Lesson learned...double check sources and if in question...pose as a question not as fact.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:16 PM, pinotlover said:

Come back in a month and we’ll discuss. 

I just hope that I am here a month from now.

I happen to fall in the group with high risk for both - age and underlying medical conditions.

At the rate this virus is spreading non-discriminantly I have never felt closer to a death sentence than now.

If a young and healthy NBA player, Tom Hanks & his wife and the British minister of health (among thousands of others) can become positive, why should I feel immune?

I’ll try to be more “positive” tomorrow 🙂

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I just hope that I am here a month from now.

I happen to fall in the group with high risk for both - age and underlying medical conditions.

At the rate this virus is spreading non-discriminantly I have never felt closer to a death sentence than now.

If a young and healthy NBA player, Tom Hanks & his wife and the British minister of health (among thousands of others) can become positive, why should I feel immune?

I’ll try to be more “positive” tomorrow

Stay isolated as much as possible. Don't go to church, senior centers etc. Wear gloves (light weight winter) when out shopping. Don't touch your face! Don't watch 24 hour news station!

Be optimistic!

Both Princess and Viking have suspended operations until May 1. Which company is next? Oceania frequently mimics Viking. It may be out of my control whether I cruise on Marina in June or not, either because the airlines are still not flying to Europe or the cruise is canceled. 

The ban on European travel may be the thing that causes the smaller and not as financially stable cruise lines to go under. A very sad day for the cruise industry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Lesson learned...double check sources and if in question...pose as a question not as fact.

Another reason to use a good honest T/A    Can not rely on the cruise to give you the right answers all the time. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 8:05 AM, susiesan said:

Both Princess and Viking have suspended operations until May 1. Which company is next? Oceania frequently mimics Viking. It may be out of my control whether I cruise on Marina in June or not, either because the airlines are still not flying to Europe or the cruise is canceled. 

The ban on European travel may be the thing that causes the smaller and not as financially stable cruise lines to go under. A very sad day for the cruise industry.

Our deadline to get all our money back is early May. We were just now talking about how if our IRA hasn't reached a not-yet-specified # then we'll cancel. As I wrote recently here in '08 we made major lifestyle changes.

Regarding our health on this subject we both seem to fear the unknown rather than getting the virus. Don't know why.

Interesting title to this thread. With all that is going on, I hadn't thought of this aspect of the whole situation. Surely this is going to be a game changer in so many ways OR we get 'back to normal' with business, commerce, and transportation (is this completely likely?) and become - as our society is apt to do - lethargic and status-quo after awhile. Depends on whatever new regs are put in place going forward. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Interesting title to this thread. With all that is going on, I hadn't thought of this aspect of the whole situation

Especially as we started this discussion on March 9th when in COVID years that was eons ago - much has changed even since then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Especially as we started this discussion on March 9th when in COVID years that was eons ago - much has changed even since then.

Isn't that the truth? EVERY article I see I now make sure it's today they're talking about. I kept checking the the HAL one was today. Unfortunately it was.

I think the cruise industry is in big trouble.  Older people are not going to feel safe booking future cruises either out of a sense of being rejected because of health risks or changing age restrictions.

It is going to be more difficult to hire crew.    Also the crew is getting less money because the automatic gratuities have meant less money than what they got before these policies went into place.  On top of that, some stingy passengers have figured out they can cancel gratuities, if they wish.  (They should be so very ashamed!)

The return to sailing date of April 12 by the NCLH company is a joke!  Country after country restricts entry from certain countries.   The epidemic in the USA looks like it will peak in mid to late April.   Lots of luck having Spain, France, Portugal, UK or Italy letting us in from our by then high level covid-19 country.  We will be the new China, Korea, Italy with restricted entry to other countries.

Oceania now has two ships docked in Miami, 2 docked in the Bahamas and 1 on the way from HNL to Los Angeles.  Looks like they are being wise and hunkering down near safe places to return passengers and crew to their homelands.  Kudo to you Oceania

Management, looks like you are trying to take care of your wonderful workers.

While I hope to sail again, it is a sad time now for all of us, and the strength of the cruise industry and the joy of cruising  may be changing.

34 minutes ago, sailfar said:

We will be the new China, Korea, Italy with restricted entry to other countries.

A slight correction - we already ARE the new China, Korea and Italy and the worst is yet to come.

Sad times indeed.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

A slight correction - we already ARE the new China, Korea and Italy and the worst is yet to come.

Sad times indeed.

Paul, you seem conflicted a bit.

Just now, Paulchili said:

How so?

I don't know. Kinda thinking/knowing the 'situation' is/may completely change the whole industry. Would you continue to cruise? Would you do land/cruise but no train? Or no cruise for some really good reasons?

I would like to continue to cruise as that is now our preferred, but not only way of travel.

We have done a LOT of traveling on our own and with tours in the past and have seen the entire world - and I do mean the entire world. We have visited 165 independent countries out of the 193 (or so) recognized by UN. In this I am not counting far away places like FP (French), Reunion (also France) Greenland (Denmark), Easter Island (Chile),  etc.

We have visited every single country in S. America including all 3 Guyanas; all European countries including all former Yugoslavia & all 15 former USSR republics after their independence. Been to Papua New Guinea and Myanmar three times each, Easter Island twice, traveled in India on our own (including Sikkim) and several cruise visits, been to Bhutan - probably one of the nicest places we have visited, China 3 or 4 times, including Tibet.

Should I go on?  (Because there is A lot more 😃)

After all these travels we have reached a point, mostly due to age and physical limitations, that cruising is the most comfortable and easy way to travel for us. We don’t mind that the cruises go only to ports because we spent 6 weeks driving in Italy from one end to the other, 4 weeks doing the same in France and 6 + 4 weeks doing it in the UK plus driven all over the continent.

That said, I hesitate to cruise until we feel safer re: COVID with either vaccine or meds.

We still do some driving - on the upcoming Marina cruise we were planning to spend time in Paris, Normandy & Loire Valley but do less of that type of travel.

Trains are out simply because our physical limitations.

Hope that makes me less conflicted about my travel & trains.😃

PS M is 3 up on me - Mongolia, Iran and Antarctica. I am not likely to catch to her at this point 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

Returning to the original topic, what will need to answered before cruising restarts is how and why ships seem to be this breeding ground for transmission of this virus (and others). Is it:

1. The same as everywhere else just publicised/highlighted more?

2. Something to do with the aircon systems

3. Maybe the crew living in close quarters multiple to a cabin

4. The age of cruisers

5. Cruisers in close quarters not practising safe hygiene practices..

any thing else?

Probably a combination and then the question becomes how to solve this....

3 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen people walk straight out of the toilet without washing their hands.

but is this different to anywhere else and what can you do about it? I have never seen this but I never use the public toilets on the ship. Maybe closing them down is a solution

• Like 1