Scenic River Cruise Coronavirus Cancellation Policy

Herman The Cat

Thank you Yorkl1 I knew I wasn’t living in the dark ages, mind you with Covid 19 it’s a bit like the plague.
Its interesting that River cruises are now covered along with Ocean cruising. It’s sad but I’m sure many holiday suppliers of whatever flavour will go to the wall.

CA

3 hours ago, YORKI1 said:

I suggest you may want to do a little more research before making such a sweeping statement. The comments of a few people on Cruise Critic Azamara board is hardly a true picture of the situation.

ABTA has many responsibilities, although it’s main responsibility is to assist travellers  when a bonded travel company goes out of business, as in the case of Thomas Cook. There are also certain rules that it’s members have to abide by, including those relating to refunds.

ABTA's waiver of their rules relating to refunds are the bone of contention:

2 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Host Jazzbeau, it would seem you are quoting an American contributor about a company owned by Holland America. How can a U.K.  organisation be responsible or have I missed something here! CA

How is @uktog of Edinburgh 'an American contributor'?  Also, Azamara is owned by Royal Caribbean Group while Holland America is owned by Carnival – so I have no idea what you are talking about there.  The discussion on the Azamara forum that I quoted is about UK customers of Azamara not getting their refunds within the prescribed ABTA time limits, and ABTA publicly stating that those time limits have been waived during the pandemic.

As the ongoing pandemic is putting businesses in the tourism industry - package holidays - into a cash flow problem, the standard period of 14 days for a refund has become an issue. This was recognized by the European authorities some time ago and advice was given accordingly. During the transition period this applies to the UK as well. Hence ABTA reacting. This is the wording: https://www.abta.com/news/european-commission-issues-recommendation-use-refund-credit-notes-cancelled-package-holidays

Articles I have read since then went further in that the idea was put into operators' heads to not even offer a refund but go straight to FCC, even going as far as ruling out a refund rather than giving it out after several months. I have not looked into this further since then.

notamermaid

Thank you Notamermaid. Jazzbeau I obviously clicked on the wrong part of your piece which took me to an American contributor to the thread as you can see from the piece copied by Notamermaid there are more routes for Brits to follow up. Given the state of the whole holiday business during these times I’m surprised that more suppliers haven’t gone to the wall completely. CA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just been reading about whether Scenics cancellation policy of no refunds is technically legal. Herman the Cat - did the attorney give you any advice on this? We are one of the many who have been denied the option of money back as they are claiming the Force Majeur clause in the booking terms and conditions. Anyone know of any more resolutions with this?

7 hours ago, Aussie who loves 2 travel said:

Hi just been reading about whether Scenics cancellation policy of no refunds is technically legal. Herman the Cat - did the attorney give you any advice on this? We are one of the many who have been denied the option of money back as they are claiming the Force Majeur clause in the booking terms and conditions. Anyone know of any more resolutions with this?

Contact me and I will explain my favorable resolution.  I am gagged as per Scenic.  sjn612@comcast.net