Coronavirus in Australia

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for her, Aus Traveller. It was good that they picked it up at the airport, although I think the virus is starting to creep through our cities despite screening like that, Sydney especially.

• Like 1

I do not think the airports are really screening people well..... as my cousin and his wife just came back from a cruise around Asia Singapore to Singapore for 2 weeks , they flew home to rural Australia on Thursday , then went to the local doctor due to cold like symptoms  and are now in at home for 14 days in isolation awaiting test results ......

It is all a bit scary......

Finger crossed Don      

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How amazing! I just bought a copy for my Kindle. I recall seeing his books in the bookstores years ago but I don't recall reading any of them.

He writes some dark books, similar to Stephen King.

Cheers Carole

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

He writes some dark books, similar to Stephen King.

Cheers Carole

I read a lot of Dean Koontz.  Not as dark as Stephen King in term of horror but a lot of mythical creatures and paranormal themes.

I hope son's SIL comes through OK.

Edited by banzaii
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Interesting book here 

Cheers Carole

E9F80657-0B79-43A4-A4B6-DD0A209FBD5E.jpeg

This post is doing the rounds on social media but it's partly fake. Dean Koontz wrote about a virus called Wuhan-400 in The Eyes of Darkness, but the page above comes from the 2008 book “End Of Days: Predictions and prophecies about the end of the world” by Sylvia Browne.

30 minutes ago, voluntr57 said:

This post is doing the rounds on social media but it's partly fake. Dean Koontz wrote about a virus called Wuhan-400 in The Eyes of Darkness, but the page above comes from the 2008 book “End Of Days: Predictions and prophecies about the end of the world” by Sylvia Browne.

Really ? Will look into that one

Cheers Carole

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

My son phoned today with the news that his sister-in-law flew into Brisbane today from Europe. She tested positive for the virus and was taken from the airport to isolation in hospital. She is in her forties, so hopefully will be OK.

I'd love to know if she was tested at the airport (Brisbane or Europe - Italy?) or before she flew.

I've heard there is no testing at Sydney Airport, but all Australian airports test incoming passengers from Italy. 

5 hours ago, CruiseCriticAUeditor said:

I'd love to know if she was tested at the airport (Brisbane or Europe - Italy?) or before she flew.

I've heard there is no testing at Sydney Airport, but all Australian airports test incoming passengers from Italy. 

I will ask my son where she was tested. Yesterday they only had the initial text message from SIL advising that she was in hospital and why.

Sun Princess yesterday heading to Adelaide.  The man was taken by ambulance to one of our hospitals.  The other ship mentioned is Arcadia. 

"A man has been denied access to a cruise ship docked at Fremantle Port after presenting with a high temperature and having recently arrived in WA from abroad.

The man, understood to be a foreign national, was attempting to board the Carnival Australia-owned Sun Princess as passenger when he was stopped.

A Fremantle Port spokesman said all passengers on both vessels had passed “stringent testing in relation to coronavirus” by both cruise ship and Federal Government medical staff.

The spokesman said a red flag was raised after the man presented with a high temperature and “flu-like symptoms”.

Sad there are irresponsible people.  We also had a woman who arrived from UK tested on Saturday, waiting for her results but still went to the Perth Concert Hall, on Sunday she got a positive result.  They are trying to contact many of the 1,080 people who were there that night.

22 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Interesting book here 

Cheers Carole

E9F80657-0B79-43A4-A4B6-DD0A209FBD5E.jpeg

Somebody once said that if you place an infinite number of monkeys into a room with an infinite number of typewriters, eventually one of them will produce the complete works of William Shakespeare!!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiseCriticAUeditor said:

I now have more information about my DIL's sister who tested positive for coronavirus. She arrived in Brisbane on the weekend, but was only tested when she went to see her doctor on Monday for an unrelated matter. She was tested because she also had a 'strep' throat and was feeling very tired. She is not feeling sick at the moment and may continue her isolation at home rather than in hospital.

It is pretty obvious that she contracted the virus while in Europe. Unfortunately, she may have unwittingly passed it to others before she was aware she was infected.   

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Good grief,

It would have been great to see the proper precautions taking place. It is going to get much worse.

I am sure the woman involved had absolutely no idea she had the coronavirus when she went to the doctor. She would be very concerned about people she came in contact with.

This incident demonstrates how the virus can spread through the community.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

This incident demonstrates how the virus can spread through the community.

No different to Influenza really - except that we are accustomed to the idea of Influenza even though many die of associated problems from it. We never know what is around the next corner - a couple of years ago I woke up to find that I had lost sight in my right eye!!!  All we can do is be sensible and enjoy each day as it comes 🙂

• Like 1

Very sad to hear about all of this. Tom and I are in our mid sixties and in good health. We still are looking forward to cruising Aus/NZ next February, and pray that things calm down by that time, hopefully, sooner! Take care friends and hope to meet some of you next year! Keep the faith! Cheers!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I just cannot believe how slow this government (and some others around the world)  are so slow to react to this, they should be scanning and testing all entrants to the country, no matter where they are from.

We saw this happening in Singapore over a month ago, both entering the country and before entering the departure area at Changi. We were also checked at our Hotels and before boarding a coach to Malaysia. We were surprised not to see any scanning done on our arrival into Sydney. No doubt this will hopefully change now we are in a Pandemic.

43 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We saw this happening in Singapore over a month ago, both entering the country and before entering the departure area at Changi. We were also checked at our Hotels and before boarding a coach to Malaysia. We were surprised not to see any scanning done on our arrival into Sydney. No doubt this will hopefully change now we are in a Pandemic.

Hoping so, but even as late as yesterday, a major influx of people coming in for the Grand Prix in Melbourne and no scanning. They picked up 3 people that came in earlier in the week from Italy but only because they have presented themselves with the symptoms.