Coronavirus in Australia

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

. One thing about Viking - European owned - they totally get it!

I can't understand why you say that Viking "totally get it". šŸ™‚ Princess announced a 'pause' to cruising before Viking did. Princess (currently) plans to recommence cruising on 11th May whereas Viking plan to start on 1st May.

Ā 

BTW, I think all cruise lines will extend their pause.

Edited by Aus Traveller

35 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Be glad the US is thousands of miles away from you, It's less than 20 mile from my house. Thankfully we live on an island so we do have that mote.

The orange clown is a menace and not having a clue is his trademark.

We went to Vancouver (close by šŸ˜€) last year and what a beautiful place. Loved it.Ā 

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

I can't understand why you say that Viking "totally get it". šŸ™‚ Princess announced a 'pause' to cruising before Viking did. Princess (currently) plans to recommence cruising on 11th May whereas Viking plan to start on 1st May.

Yes, but they are much more flexible. Our cruise isn't untilĀ 2021 and they allowed to make changes to that booking! And they ground the whole fleet - river and Ocean so they didn't pick and choose and let some sail. Unlike Princess.Ā 

13 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes, but they are much more flexible. Our cruise isn't untilĀ 2021 and they allowed to make changes to that booking! And they ground the whole fleet - river and Ocean so they didn't pick and choose and let some sail. Unlike Princess.Ā 

It looks like Viking are more flexible on bookings for well into the future.

Ā 

However, after Princess announced its pause, no more ships sailed. Full stop. They didn't pick and choose to let some sail.

Ā 

Cruise that were to end after a couple of days, continued to their disembarkation port - easier and simpler than stopping at the first island they came to. šŸ™‚

Ā 

Longer cruises were curtailed - examples Sea Princess, Ruby Princess and Golden Princess. Another one if the Coral Princess on a long cruise around South America. Princess is responsible for its passengers. Obviously they can't dump them at sea šŸ™‚ so they have been trying to find a port that will allow guests to disembark and fly home. They have been turned away from a few ports,Ā  even though it is believed there are no covid-19 infections on board. Some pax disembarked in Buenos Aires before the President told the Captain they had to leave before midnight or stay indefinitely with no-one allowed to disembark. They left. After refusals from Montevideo and Rio, Princess have no alternative but to continue sailing with the passengers, probably back to USA. Princess have not chosen to keep sailing.

Ā 

Some other cruiselines have had similar problems - example the MSC ship off WA.

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It looks like Viking are more flexible on bookings for well into the future.

Ā 

However, after Princess announced its pause, no more ships sailed. Full stop. They didn't pick and choose to let some sail.

Ā 

Cruise that were to end after a couple of days, continued to their disembarkation port - easier and simpler than stopping at the first island they came to. šŸ™‚

Ā 

Longer cruises were curtailed - examples Sea Princess, Ruby Princess and Golden Princess. Another one if the Coral Princess on a long cruise around South America. Princess is responsible for its passengers. Obviously they can't dump them at sea šŸ™‚ so they have been trying to find a port that will allow guests to disembark and fly home. They have been turned away from a few ports,Ā  even though it is believed there are no covid-19 infections on board. Some pax disembarked in Buenos Aires before the President told the Captain they had to leave before midnight or stay indefinitely with no-one allowed to disembark. They left. After refusals from Montevideo and Rio, Princess have no alternative but to continue sailing with the passengers, probably back to USA. Princess have not chosen to keep sailing.

Ā 

Some other cruiselines have had similar problems - example the MSC ship off WA.

Viking managed to get everyone off as soon as they announced it.Ā 

Edited by Pushka

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

One of many myths out there. I will be guided by the experts at the WHO. Source W.H.O.

Ā 

"COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates

Ā 

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather."

That's why i said "keeping an OPEN MIND".By the way I'm not mr mcgoo,normal font is ok.

28 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I just cut and pasted from the WHO website. That is what was on their website, not me.

No worries,I thought you were digitally shouting at me,lol.

37 minutes ago, Pushka said:

They were all over the world including near Australia.Ā 

Where were Viking's seven ships when the pause started?

Ā 

With Princess' 18 ships, there were only three that weren't able to sail to a safe disembarkation port within a couple of days.

Edited by Aus Traveller

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Where were Viking's seven ships when the pause started?

Ā 

With Princess' 18 ships, there were only three that weren't able to sail to a safe disembarkation port within a couple of days.

Asia, one on a world trip, UK and Baltics areas. Don't know the rest. And they have many many river ships.Ā 

Just now, Pushka said:

Asia, one on a world trip, UK and Baltics areas. Don't know the rest. And they have many many river ships.Ā 

I realise Viking have a large river cruising fleet. It is pretty easy to disembark passengers from a river ship. šŸ™‚ Cruise itineraries out of the UK or in the Baltic would be pretty easy to conclude early. For cruises in Asia or a world cruise, it depends on where the ship is.

Ā 

As I said, the only ones Princess has still sailing are the Coral (where passengers haven't been allowed to disembark in South America) and the Pacific Princess (on a world cruise where people who are not fit to fly home are still on board as she returns to USA). These two 'cruises' are continuing for reasons beyond Princess' control.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I realise Viking have a large river cruising fleet. It is pretty easy to disembark passengers from a river ship. šŸ™‚ Cruise itineraries out of the UK or in the Baltic would be pretty easy to conclude early. For cruises in Asia or a world cruise, it depends on where the ship is.

Ā 

As I said, the only ones Princess has still sailing are the Coral (where passengers haven't been allowed to disembark in South America) and the Pacific Princess (on a world cruise where people who are not fit to fly home are still on board as she returns to USA). These two 'cruises' are continuing for reasons beyond Princess' control.

Ā 

Agreed, it's not through lack of efforts or trying by some cruiselines. Viking were just fortunate - and had a smaller international fleet so less risk - than other cruise lines.