TABYANA BEACH HOURS

eposadas

So this question is more specific to Royal since that is who I am sailing with but probably applies to most cruises.  So we will be in port from 8-6, however when I look at the excursion on the RY website it indicates 5 hours.  So is that all the time you get on the beach?  I mean if I get there at say 9 do I get picked up and bussed back to the cruise ship at 2?

Seems to me if that is the case I am better off  maybe taking a cab to a beach club of my choice and cabbing back when I am ready to take advantage of more time on the beach.

Any help is appreciated

First, 5 hours at the beach is a lot. Royal should give you an indication of what time the excursion will meet on the pier. Most independent vendors say 1 hour after docking. That said it could be as late as 9 AM before the ship is cleared to let passengers off. 

But yes you can, get off and head to Tabayana on your own. You will have to pay taxi fare, rent loungers from a resort, if they let you and arrange for your own transportation back. Taxis don't troll West Bay for passengers like at some ports. Beach access is free and if you bring your own towels from the ship you can, put them down just about anywhere. 

• 4 months later...

We always go to West Bay on our own.  No reason to pay the double fare to go through the cruise line and then be limited to when you have to come and go.  Tabyana is a small roped off area on the left side of the beach.  The best snorkeling is right in front of Tabyana beach.  That said, you can sit on your towel right beside the roped off area of Tabyana beach and once you get in the water you can go anywhere you like.  Better food and bar options along West Bay as well where you have much more to choose from.

Tabyana is part of West Bay Beach, one cannot acess the section of West Bay indepenatly but there are plenty of beach clubs to choose from. In you are only interestwd in the beach I reccommned you choose a day pass option with transport included.. this way you can come and go as you please. 

With all that said ~ If I had friends visiting Roatan I would suggest they hire a private driver to drop them in West End, to wander about and maybe snorkle a bit in Half Moon Bay, then take the water taxi to West Bay for bathing in the sun, lunch and a bit more snorkeling. Their driver could collect them in West Bay. 

Indeed the towel option is a possibility if there is enough space to find some sand, all food, potties and showers are payable. Beware, the bugs are much worse if one is on the sand. 

Oh and there are only two ways to acess West Bay Beach for free if you don't pay for a day pass, one is the road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club and the other is via water taxi from West End. 

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Guest 2000

• 9 months later...

As others have stated, Tabyana is actually on West Bay Beach.  The beach is always open is my guess.  We have been there on cruises and we have flown there and stayed at Infinity Bay Resort.  Bar hopped a lot up and down that beach  - even at night.