How do you reinsure a postponed trip? Or can you ?

famcruise14

We are cancelling our March 26 NCL cruise due to the current situation. From what I understand we can receive a full FCC for everything except the travel insurance which will not “travel with” the fcc. Does that mean we have the option to take out new insurance on the new date we choose ? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t know of any insurance company that will insure FCC’s for cancellation. Look in the “Definitions” section in the Certificate of Coverage. It should be under “Payment” or “Forms of Payment” - something to that effect. The definition that follows states that credits, gift cards, vouchers, or points are not considered as forms of payment. It may not say so, but the reason is that they are not considered to have cash value - no matter what you spent to acquire them.  The end result is that if you can’t go on the new cruise booked with FCC, you lose.

You can still get insurance for medical, evacuation, trip delay, etc. - just not cancellation.

Call the insurance company. It may be possible that they are allowing you to "change" the policy dates. Sometimes they do and with the fluidity of the current situation, they may be more flexible.

But Babr is correct in that FCC's are not insurable under normal situations.

Even under normal circumstances I may only get medical and evac and self insure the cancellation. When the policy asks how much the trip cost is, I just put $499. (The insurance companies set their pricing as the same whether the trip cost is $1 or $500. Then they increase the price if trip cost is $501 - $1000,,, etc.)

This method still gives me the max medical and the max evac in the policy description. (In my State, Washington, it even gets me pre-existing condition waiver.)

Edited by klfrodo

• 2 weeks later...

I was slated to go on a full charter theme cruise on March 28, and bought CFAR insurance when I booked my cabin last year. Of course the cruise is not setting sail. The charter company is saying that it has "postponed" the cruise to later this year and has not yet given the new dates, and is not refunding fares because the cruise is postponed, not canceled. I bought insurance through a third party carrier, not the charter or cruise lines. Of course I've contacted my insurer but haven't yet heard back. Has anyone had an experience like this? I'm trying to figure out if my old CFAR insurance will carry over to the new cruise dates, or if I need to "cancel" my reservation 48 hours before the original cruise would have departed if I want to make a CFAR claim? I've heard anecdotal evidence of some people getting their policy refunded if a cruise is canceled, but presumably then I wouldn't be able to buy new CFAR insurance as it would be way past the deadline for doing so? 

Edited by NinS

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 6:07 PM, Babr said:

I don’t know of any insurance company that will insure FCC’s for cancellation. Look in the “Definitions” section in the Certificate of Coverage. It should be under “Payment” or “Forms of Payment” - something to that effect. The definition that follows states that credits, gift cards, vouchers, or points are not considered as forms of payment. It may not say so, but the reason is that they are not considered to have cash value - no matter what you spent to acquire them.  The end result is that if you can’t go on the new cruise booked with FCC, you lose.

You can still get insurance for medical, evacuation, trip delay, etc. - just not cancellation.

Hi Babr,

This is changing. I haven't got the full answer yet, but when I do, I'll let you know. I've been emailing companies plus asking followup questions for 2 weeks. Just today I got this in an email: "We haven’t crossed that bridge yet."

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 2