'What if..' Ports are closed.

LocoLoco1

28 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

You're on the Koningsdam; why not cut your losses and get the FCC for fare and refund for other purchases?

I'm packed. I'm going. Just curious when a Cruise turns into a Non-cruise.

52 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

We sail in 4 days on a 48-day. I see some of our scheduled Ports-o-Call have pulled the Welcome Mat. I wonder when it becomes a valid case for a Refund?https://ticotimes.net/2020/03/09/two-cruises-to-costa-rica-cancelled-amid-coronavirus-fears-report-says

From the article, I don't see where you came up with the statement "Ports are closed"??

All the article mentions is that the Japanese cruise operator NYK Cruises has cancelled their world cruise and therefore would no longer be stopping in Costa Rica - along with all the other ports it was planning on stopping at.

The second ship mentioned has also cancelled its sailing and will not be going to Costa Rica for the same reason.

I see no mention that Costa Rica ports are closed to cruise ships!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think this will be “non cruise” but you are going to have a lot of days at sea anyways (I had looked at this itinerary) and between the tender ports and the chances that a port or two says no if anyone has flu like symptoms you’ll have a lot more.

I guess if you end up quarantined you’ll get a full future cruise credit and/or a refund but that’s about the only way I see that happening and I hope it doesn’t happen to you.

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I'm packed. I'm going. Just curious when a Cruise turns into a Non-cruise.

Well, then, read the fine print and you'll see you are not promised any port. If cancelled you will get your port fees back. Same as any port missed for weather...

• Like 1

Just as an FYI we returned from our house in Cabo today. Both yesterday and today a Carnival ship stopped just outside of Cabo for 30 to 45 minutes to allow pax to take pictures and then left as they were not allowed to port in Cabo. For those who are still considering taking their cruise please double check that you will actually be able to stop at the ports on your cruise. I am not sure anyone would be thrilled with a cruise to nowhere. An NCL ship was in port today so I have no clue what ships are and are not allowed. 

Antigua being our replacement port for a last minute cancellation of St Kitts. We’re told the local authorities are concerned about the health of passenger but the Capt has said over and over that we are all healthy.

This is both concerning and disappointing obviously. There’s been a lot of changes in the service since the start of the ship with people being stopped and told to wash hands, no serving themselves with anything and constant reminders to stay healthy.

the cruise director, captain and medical staff are holding a briefing for all in the main theatre at 10:00am.

While I feel that we are indeed healthy here, this new wrinkle of ports being denied opens a new consideration for those thinking about cancelling upcoming cruises.

11 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

We sail in 4 days on a 48-day. I see some of our scheduled Ports-o-Call have pulled the Welcome Mat. I wonder when it becomes a valid case for a Refund?https://ticotimes.net/2020/03/09/two-cruises-to-costa-rica-cancelled-amid-coronavirus-fears-report-says

Hey LocoLoco, greetings from fellow roll call member! A current passenger on the Koningsdam just reported that they have been denied in St. Kitts and Antigua. The captain is having a meeting at 10am to discuss this, stay tuned.

• Like 1

Thank you for the update. 

Could you provide a bit more detail on this?:

There’s been a lot of changes in the service since the start of the ship with people being stopped and told to wash hands, no serving themselves with anything and constant reminders to stay healthy.”

When are people being stopped and told to wash their hands? Is it in an eating area or other context?

7 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thank you for the update. 

Could you provide a bit more detail on this?:

There’s been a lot of changes in the service since the start of the ship with people being stopped and told to wash hands, no serving themselves with anything and constant reminders to stay healthy.”

When are people being stopped and told to wash their hands? Is it in an eating area or other context?

Lido. 

• Thanks 1

While I certainly appreciate the seriousness of this situation and the concerns of all aboard, including me and my wife, I think it is important that we strive to be very precise with the verbiage we use on these boards. Misleading, incomplete or inaccurate information will spread faster than the Coronavirus!

To the best of my knowledge, we were not denied entry to St. Kitts, as stated in the subject line of this thread. 

Per the announcement of the Captain, St Kitts authorities we waffling as to the conditions under which ships would be allowed to disembark. Rather than wait for a decision, the Captain made a decision to go to Antigua. 

if anyone has additional information, please share. 

Also, this...

“the cruise director, captain and medical staff are holding a briefing for all in the main theatre at 10:00am.”

...could be misconstrued as meaning the meaning is mandatory. 

Our take on this was...

“the cruise director, captain and medical staff are holding an informal Q&A in the main theatre at 10:00am. All are invited to attend. “

For sure, this is serious business. But accuracy in reporting is important. 

Trout

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Laminator said:

Just as an FYI we returned from our house in Cabo today. Both yesterday and today a Carnival ship stopped just outside of Cabo for 30 to 45 minutes to allow pax to take pictures and then left as they were not allowed to port in Cabo. For those who are still considering taking their cruise please double check that you will actually be able to stop at the ports on your cruise. I am not sure anyone would be thrilled with a cruise to nowhere. An NCL ship was in port today so I have no clue what ships are and are not allowed. 

The thing is, you can't check to find out if you will be able to stop at the ports. Unless a port announces it's closed to all cruise ships, some may dock and some may not. It seems to be day by day and ship by ship in most ports.

Any cruise now is a roll of the dice. Crystalspin is correct, the cruise contract does say that the line has the right to change ports. Port changes are pretty rare under normal circumstances--I can recall only a handful of changes in all my cruises. But these are not normal circumstances and if you choose to sail, you have to accept that there will be more than usual changes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trout62 said:

While I certainly appreciate the seriousness of this situation and the concerns of all aboard, including me and my wife, I think it is important that we strive to be very precise with the verbiage we use on these boards. Misleading, incomplete or inaccurate information will spread faster than the Coronavirus!

To the best of my knowledge, we were not denied entry to St. Kitts, as stated in the subject line of this thread. 

Per the announcement of the Captain, St Kitts authorities we waffling as to the conditions under which ships would be allowed to disembark. Rather than wait for a decision, the Captain made a decision to go to Antigua. 

Also, this...

“the cruise director, captain and medical staff are holding a briefing for all in the main theatre at 10:00am.”

Our take on this was...

“the cruise director, captain and medical staff are holding an informal Q&A in the main theatre at 10:00am. All are invited to attend. “

Trout

Thank you clarifying, Trout. Please continue to update us as you are able! Wishing you a happy and healthy end to your trip!

43 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I wonder at what point that cruise lines are going to have a meaningful chat with ports who refuse entry without cause.

it's their country and their right to refuse entry to non citizens including those on cruise ships for any reason

just like US has right to refuse entry to any non citizen for any reason.

it's good that those islands/countries are being proactive instead of head in the sand like the US. the US has uncontrolled community spread with next to zero mitigation, it's a bad idea to permit cruise ships from the US to dock for their citizens health. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trout62 said:

Also, this...

Our take on this was...

Trout

I am on board and that is my understanding as well. I do not plan to go. Regrettably, it will not be on the ships television.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear this Wehwalt and others.  This is the perfect meeting to put on the ship's television.  Even if everyone on the ship is healthy, why not let people stay in their cabin if they prefer to do so?

I guess in this day and age, people are afraid of being on tape?

I hope you do get a port replacement!

Edited by sansterre

Sad, this is a media event- it's the latest version of the FLU! This flu season( 2019/2020) 19,000 have died( approx 120/day) in the USA- and this Flu season is considered to mild- These are the facts and not sourced by CNN!

• Like 1

I think this whole panic is ridiculous.  In the USA 29000 people have died of influenzas and it is no big deal. A handful of vulnerable older people have died--I am 80-- and we are in panic mode.  FDR once said: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." We see what an inordinate fear is doing.  FYI, I got off the Koningsdam last Wednesday and would go on her again in a heart beat.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, blackfoot said:

Sad, this is a media event- it's the latest version of the FLU! This flu season( 2019/2020) 19,000 have died( approx 120/day) in the USA- and this Flu season is considered to mild- These are the facts and not sourced by CNN!

it's a much deadlier (around 10x) of the flu and of the many who don't die, they will require hospitalization with severe symptoms.

this is not just regular flu and the regular flu season this year has been anything but mild. you seem to not have any facts at all in your post 

2019-2020 Flu Season on Track to Be Especially Severe, New CDC Data Suggests

https://time.com/5758953/flu-season-2019-2020/

• Like 4