'What if..' Ports are closed.

LocoLoco1

I'm the Original Poster. A 48-day lap 'round South America with nearly NO ports is not what anyone Paid for. But it IS possible I suppose... Hmm.   ps I just now got a heck of an Upgrade to a VQ from HAL.

43 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Well, it has started here in Seattle.  The Seattle Port Authority has just refused docking of the Grand Princess on 1 April and the Celebrity Eclipse on 5 April.  These two ships represent the start of the Alaska cruise season here.  The Grand was to go to Vancouver the next day.  It will be enlightening to see if Canada allows that to happen.  I suspect we will find out within the week if there will be an Alaska cruise season this year.

Well finally!  Deo gratias for that.  I'm in Snohomish County and I fear the possibility that our Puget Sound area may become the next Italy unless some substantive steps are taken.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

For @Himself and others who say this is “just a flu” and much ado about nothing, let me share this post from FB from a lady in Italy.  I think it explains things we all need to realize sooner than later.  As Dr. Fauci said, it’s not a matter of IF but WHEN.

Here is her post - it’s worth a read:

I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality.  The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today. 

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.

I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.  

When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse. 

Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left? 

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse. 

There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment. 

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time. 

And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago. 

Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now. 

Please share.

A link to news article with information about the lady Cristina Higgins (and her family who are in Italy while she is a professor there I gather) who actually wrote this post. Article is a good read. Interesting perspective, though it should be noted she is not a medical professional as some had thought a possibility. This does not in any way however discount her observations nor the observations she is reporting from medical personnel on the ground. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/american-coronavirus-lockdown-italy-it-s-surreal-it-s-dystopian-n1155576?fbclid=IwAR3cfqQlupC2BaP3V86YFNV9mZcj_mg-L7Zv8Rqsil4si19pp4Pgsw0mhv4

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

A link to information about the lady Cristina Higgins who actually wrote this post. Article is a good read. Interesting perspective, though it should be noted she is not a medical professional as some had thought a possibility. This does not in any way however discount her observations nor the observations she is reporting from medical personnel on the ground. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/american-coronavirus-lockdown-italy-it-s-surreal-it-s-dystopian-n1155576?fbclid=IwAR3cfqQlupC2BaP3V86YFNV9mZcj_mg-L7Zv8Rqsil4si19pp4Pgsw0mhv4

Thanks.

I didn’t mean to imply she was a medical person.  She’s a person in Italy telling the facts as she sees them and she makes very valid points IMO.

that’s the reason I posted it.  It’s fine to say “I’m going to go on my cruise and nothing will happen to me” but we need to contain the virus and stop the spread now which was her message.  I see it like this:

957FC0A2-F877-4562-9D51-8EA4FB3BA960.jpeg.618b39b094d607619037972ef58c3243.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, kazu said:

Thanks.

I didn’t mean to imply she was a medical person.  She’s a person in Italy telling the facts as she sees them and she makes very valid points IMO.

Oh no, I know you didn't but it was thought by some on FB and social media she might be a doctor or nurse maybe even visiting Italy. You know how the internet is. I was just happy to find that article as I liked reading more about her. Her sister had actually linked to it on her own FB account. Cristina and her husband are there with 3 young children. That has to be hard and more than a bit frightening.

I think the fact that Italy has gotten so worse is has gotten the attention of USA.

This virus started in China and they were sneaky about it.  Then it spread.

Feel bad for Italy and praying things get better.

In USA things have moved fast for closures and awareness.  I mean in just two weeks boy the talk on news is not politics so much.

Still hoping it all settles down.  the word Coronus is not new, just the strain of Covit-19.

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Well, it has started here in Seattle.  The Seattle Port Authority has just refused docking of the Grand Princess on 1 April and the Celebrity Eclipse on 5 April.  

Any plans to close the airport ? 

Edited by Boatdrill

1 hour ago, swin26 said:

Two ports in Norway have banned cruise ships.  They can dock for supplies but passengers can not get off the ship. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/03/11/cruise-ship-passengers-banned-from-bergen-as-coronavirus-cases-rise-in-norway/amp/

I don’t blame them one bit.  It’s a struggle for sure as a lot of businesses count on them but as our first case came, I found myself thinking ...

I hope we are not letting cruise ships in until this passes.

We have a popular port and a lot of economy has built around a simple “harbour a cruise ship in a storm” decades ago.

But now, as we get our 1st case here everyone wants it contained.  I think sadly that has to be the first priority and I can understand even more why ships have been turned away whether it was justified or not.

Just watched at 9:00 PM EST our President’s address to the citizens of the United States Of America that effective Friday March 13 there will be a suspension of travel for next 30 days from Europe with the exception of Great Britain.

National Basketball Association, the NBA has suspended games until further notice.

Serious times require serious prayers and actions.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, dot73 said:

The U.K. is exempted so U.S. citizens will just fly to London from various parts of Europe and fly home. 

I was being concerned for those affected but also implying the critical impact of this to the cruise industry,travel, national economies and ways of life that we know.

I would think this loophole you mention will be contained.

Let’s be pro active and all be doing our part through self hygiene, self quarantine if necessary and realization and acceptance of crisis.

It’s no longer political it’s real.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1

This is the bad news we were anticipating.  Presently on the Maasdam after a port day in Rarotanga (Cook Islands).  The Captain just announced that French Polynesia will not allow us to dock so no passenger transfer in Papeete/no provisioning/no bunkering.  The Captain may decide to stay at anchor until he receives further instructions or make a beeline for Hawaii (with the aid of a naval fuel tanker?), assuming Hawaii permits docking (that's also up in the air).  San Diego?  Canada?  The future seems pretty uncertain right now.  Those considering boarding a cruise ship right now should think very carefully.  You may join a floating island of cruise ships in some vast ocean waiting for a home.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brentwood Bay said:

This is the bad news we were anticipating.  Presently on the Maasdam after a port day in Rarotanga (Cook Islands).  The Captain just announced that French Polynesia will not allow us to dock so no passenger transfer in Papeete/no provisioning/no bunkering.  The Captain may decide to stay at anchor until he receives further instructions or make a beeline for Hawaii (with the aid of a naval fuel tanker?), assuming Hawaii permits docking (that's also up in the air).  San Diego?  Canada?  The future seems pretty uncertain right now.  Those considering boarding a cruise ship right now should think very carefully.  You may join a floating island of cruise ships in some vast ocean waiting for a home.

What??? We were supposed to join the ship in Papeete along with many others...We canceled on Monday thankfully I was to fly there today...this is crazy... 

"Uncertain" would be an understatement.  Perhaps it is an overreaction, but what is happening to the Maasdam seems to be the new norm.....at least for the next few weeks.  The list of ports who deny cruise ship entry is growing day by day.  The Presidents new executive order will essentially shut down air travel between the USA and most of Europe for at least a month.  I guess the cruise industry will try to limp through the next few weeks and hot that things normalize.  But at this point I am starting to wonder if they need to shut down the industry, park the ships at anchorage, and give it a month.  Yes, it will be a huge financial hit.  But what is happening now is worse for many cruises and passengers.

Hank

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, Himself said:

I think this whole panic is ridiculous.  In the USA 29000 people have died of influenzas and it is no big deal. A handful of vulnerable older people have died--I am 80-- and we are in panic mode.  FDR once said: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." We see what an inordinate fear is doing.  FYI, I got off the Koningsdam last Wednesday and would go on her again in a heart beat.

Sadly Father, IMO you are being irresponsible in promoting the idea that it is totally OK for people to go on a cruise without being aware of all the possible things that could currently happen.

If you think everything is ridiculous, consider that this may not be your area of expertise and that the Public Health officials are the ones who are educated

in this and are trying to slow the progression and spread of the disease.

What are you going to tell your bishop when he announces that for the immediate future all taking of communion from a shared chalice is suspended.

Do you tell him he is being afraid of fear itself? Of course not, he's acting responsibily.

As it is, the cruise lines may be taking decisions out of people's hands by suspending operations for the next several months.

I wish you good luck Father.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1