Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Our suite is on the back of the boat so I am hoping they will use more midships cabins for the guests.

Again, sorry to sound like the voice of doom, but I would think the exact opposite would be the case. As they will be trying to impress all the trade press, travel agents etc (especially given a lot of the negative pre PR about Iona from a lot of regular cruisers), I would be absolutely staggered if they didn’t start their cabin allocations for the ‘shake down cruises’ with suites and work down. When I have seen reviews of new ships they are often suites. Also, they will want to make damned sure that those guests paying top dollar get a good first impression, so will want to have ‘snagged’ suites as a priority. To end with a positive, at least if we all get quarantined you will have more walls to climb! 😉

Just looked at this thread .....  We are due to board Oceana on Saturday 8th March. Obviously we are all paid up and getting ready to think about packing in preparation but at the same time not even sure if we will be going. It all seems ominously quiet as far as communication or current advice goes from P&O.
So we are feeling very uncertain and confused at present. It’s such a shame as we should be feeling really excited. 🙆‍♀️🥴

35 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

Just looked at this thread .....  We are due to board Oceana on Saturday 8th March. Obviously we are all paid up and getting ready to think about packing in preparation but at the same time not even sure if we will be going. It all seems ominously quiet as far as communication or current advice goes from P&O.
So we are feeling very uncertain and confused at present. It’s such a shame as we should be feeling really excited. 🙆‍♀️🥴

Easier said than done, but try to get in the holiday spirit unless you hear otherwise. 

There are many cruise ships out there with no issues at the moment, so let's hope it stays that way. 

The importance is P&O needs to make sure it is not getting on the ship, so I hope they have sufficient plans in place. 

I hope all is well and you get to enjoy your cruise. 

Andy 

13 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I didnt even get chance to book, DH put brakes on any new cruise bookings and today spent a load of our cruise money on a second hand JCB, he is now playing with it in his big shed down the yard. 🙈🙄 I could cry with nothing to look forward to this coming Spring even our fall back holiday destination of Tenerife is off limits. 😥

Oh dear. I'm so sorry..but i like his thinking. Cruise we can both go on and enjoy , or a big boy toy for me.....

Fully paid up for April and won't cancel.

However I was planning another cruise or some other holiday for August, possibly Japan, but now I'm not committing to anything. TBH the c word is only part of my thinking, the main thing is I can't find the right itinerary. 

Cathy

Edited by Cathygh

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

This might interest you:  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

It contains a lot of information and possible options - one of which is via travel insurers and could apply to you as a high risk traveller.  For anyone in this category, the insurer could well take the line that it would be cheaper for them to pay out under the cancellation section of the policy than a potentially much larger sum under another section of the policy.

That's definitely made our minds up. Thanks Harry. If P&O don't cancel,  we go on our cruise.

Fully paid up to go back to back on Azura's two cruises following her refit.  The second cruise goes to Civitavecchia and Naples.

No intention of cancelling.

We accept that there may well be itinery changes, fine.

Looking out to see if any cheap deals materialise over the summer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's definitely made our minds up. Thanks Harry. If P&O don't cancel,  we go on our cruise.

Applies to us as well.  I will keep up to date with that link as it is full of good advice and will be updated continually.  We are with CMV April, TUI July and P & O August and intend to do all 3 unless FCO advises against.  

32 minutes ago, the english lady said:

April for us, as we are still going. At the present rate no where is actually "safe" as it seems to have such a long incubation period...so We will go, and not talk to anyone else on the cruise😁

I think I will isolate myself in a corner of the Crows Nest in my CSI suit, that should do it... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We paid yesterday for our Iona cruise in May, I am not really concerned as I think by then we will have a much better idea as to what the outcome of Corvid-19 is. However we have cancelled another cruise with another line which was to the Far East, not because of the virus but because of the chance of being confined to an inside cabin or somewhere even worse in a third world country.

On a (semi) light hearted note, I suspect that more passengers will want tables on their own in the MDR and demand for Select Dining venues (where you never share) will increase. It has really annoyed me on a few occasions when we have been joined on a shared table by someone with a filthy cold and / or a bad cough. If I had a cold or cough I would be very conscious of it and we would dine on our own for fear of passing it on to others. 

I fear that any pre screening before boarding, and indeed the checks themselves, will be near pointless. As well as people lying so as not to miss their holiday, If someone has it, there is a massive chance that it won’t be detectable yet and even if someone is refused boarding they have probably infected several others in the terminal building, who will then go on to incubate it during the cruise whilst infecting countless others. 

Although the countries that we are cruising to are, as yet, unaffected, that matters not a jot if someone boards the ship in Southampton having had even the most tenuous passing contact with someone who is affected. As I have said, we aren’t cancelling but are concerned about it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BestGuessed said:

Your itinerary only seems to visit Spain and Portugal.  As things stand today, Spain only has 12 active cases of  the virus.  Two are in Barcelona and one in Valencia. There is also one in Seville, near-ish to Cadiz. I guess it is possible that the itinerary could be amended to call at ports in other Spanish regions where there are no cases.  Fortunately, Oceana is small enough to be able to call at almost any port. 

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Thanks Selborne. I realise there are pre maiden cruises but I am sure all the invited guests (journalists, reviewers, experts etc) will all be shining examples of how to behave onboard and will wash their hands copiously and use their handkerchiefs with gay abandon on the off chance that they may cough or sneeze. Anyway, I cannot see them filling the ship for these pre maiden cruises to nowhere, maybe not even leaving Southampton. Our suite is on the back of the boat so I am hoping they will use more midships cabins for the guests.

We went on a 2 night Celebrity pre maiden cruise and the ship was full to test the wait staff and housekeeping for a full turn around day. A lot of the TAs on board partied most of the night drinking the free booze. There was a fair bit of a clean up needed round the pool afterwards and in a couple of the lifts.  

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think I will isolate myself in a corner of the Crows Nest in my CSI suit, that should do it... 😊

Andy 

And me in the other corner....biggest thing for me to decide is what colour of jelly baby suit to choose....whether to cancel cruise or not decision pales into insignificance when I have to decide on " my wardrobe" attire 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well only two days before we go to the Caribbean. No way am I cancelling, I’ve done most of the packing. Baltic in June, Canaries in Feb and Eastern Med next June - we will monitor the situation and not cancel unless we are advised to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Is that enough or should it be a full hazmat suit with military grade respirator.....as the masks everyone is buying are next to useless as the weave is too loose and viruses..that are wee small beasties..will get through 

Edited by the english lady
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Is that enough or should it be a full hazmat suit with military grade respirator.....as the masks everyone is buying are next to useless as the weave is too loose and viruses..that are wee small beasties..will get through 

My cruise is March 8th out of NY.  I called NCL and they are not offering anything for cancellation. So I guess I am going but I am thinking of buying a hazmat suit just for giggles. I'm sure NCL will appreciate the humor.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LarryNY said:

My cruise is March 8th out of NY.  I called NCL and they are not offering anything for cancellation. So I guess I am going but I am thinking of buying a hazmat suit just for giggles. I'm sure NCL will appreciate the humor.

PLEASE post a photo if you do 😁

• Like 2

going in just over 6 weeks. We are relatively young and healthy so no thoughts of cancelling. I do understand its a more difficult decision for those with health issues. 

I suspect by the time we go the virus will be so widespread that there will be very little the cruise companies can do other than increase the level of cleaning and sanitizing.They could introduce screening at checking and boarding the ship at ports but that I suspect would be a major hassle for them. 

• Like 1