Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

23 minutes ago, Denarius said:

That is what I intend to do, as long as it comes before thursday of next week, the final day on which I can cancel and still get 25% back. I believe that if P&O are going to change their stance they will have done so by then, and little would be achieved by hanging on further with the prospect of only getting 10% back unless they do so.

Did you not see the Twitter announcement yesterday that was posted on here. P&O said last night that they are revising their cancellation policies and an update will be in the next 48 hours.

17 hours ago, Bedruthen said:
Taken from twitter

z65AKHWF_reasonably_small.jpg
·
3m

In light of the Coronavirus situation, we are reviewing our current transfer & cancellation policies to offer greater flexibility for our guests. Details will be available within 48 hours. For sailings within 48 hours please call us on 03453 555 111 to discuss your options.

For Denarius

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I can see a way round it.  Cancel with loss of deposit (£50 in our case) and rebook.  I've checked prices and they are still the same.

We would need an accessible cabin,which are as rare as hens teeth except on launch. We also have 5, one of which is a BTB, booked up to Feb 2022, so definitely hope they permit us to use the FCC against one of these.

H

21 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

You maybe in a different situation to me ie you have already paid in full but we have just cancelled a July cruise (before our full payment was due) and have been allowed to transfer our booking to a May 2021 cruise - so later than the March 2021 date you mention.  It is a new booking, not transferring the deposit to an already booked cruise but I must say the young lady i dealt with couldn't have been more helpful and there wasn't any admin charge.   

I know many of you are in a different scenario having paid in full and with different preferences for what you'd like P&O to offer and that it must be very unsettling waiting for details (I don't think it's been handled well) but I hope all it works out for you and proves to be as easy as my dealings with P&O yesterday.   Good luck! 

Hi....yes hopefully will work out ok....we are due to sail next month so have paid in full and the March 2021 I took from an earlier post....obviously not set in stone and I can't remember where they got the information from so it is a " wait & see" scenario 

Just received an email from Regent, although I have never cruised with them and are merely on their mailing list. They are crediting 100% of cancellation charges towards any future cruise booked within the next 12 months to sail before the end of 2022. P&O, We are still waiting.

3 hours ago, janny444 said:

H

Hi....yes hopefully will work out ok....we are due to sail next month so have paid in full and the March 2021 I took from an earlier post....obviously not set in stone and I can't remember where they got the information from so it is a " wait & see" scenario 

The March 2021 date for redeeming any FCC came from the details of the Carnival revised cancellation policy. See the full details in the link below

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5151/

In the Princess revised cancellation policy there appears to be no mention of a cut off date for the FCC to be redeemed. However they are offering OBC "bonuses" if you hold off and stick with your cruise booking. That situation may now be academic foir US citizens following the State Department's effective ban on cruise holidays - particularly for over 70's travellers

As I've said in previous posts, I reckon that P&O is more likely to follow the Carnival format if and when they publish a revised cancellation statement

5 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

P&O and MSC uk have yet to declare how they are going to treat their UK passengers while all the US lines are treating their customers with respect.  We'll book in the US from now on

MSC have declared their change of Policy so that you can cancel any cruises booked up to 31st July 

29 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

P&O and MSC uk have yet to declare how they are going to treat their UK passengers while all the US lines are treating their customers with respect.  We'll book in the US from now on

That is what we intend to do. This has been an eye opener on how the UK cruising public is treated 

46 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Hi....do you use a TA in US or has P&O an American website?

50 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

To be fair, they've probably felt less pressured to act as no UK based ships have been caught up in it yet. 

• Like 1

I may be a bit naive but I don't understand, after all the declared cancellation policies in the Carnival group and beyond, why it takes days for P&O to make a statement, other than a Twitter post saying they are going to make a statement.

They must know full well that many people who have paid them thousands of £s in good faith are waiting to find out of they will lose most of it if they err on the side of caution and cancel their cruise holiday to avoid the coronavirus.

Are they hedging their bets on finding an avoidance clause, or incapable of communication due to normal P&O IT problems?

At the beginning of this thread, i posted some cruises that were silly cheap, but just seen one that I am astounded at.  3 nights, balcony, Hamburg, Le Havre, Southampton.......£45.08  And no, thats not per night!

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying it is an exciting or desirable cruise.) 

Edited by davemorton

4 minutes ago, davemorton said:

At the beginning of this thread, i posted some cruises that were silly cheap, but just seen one that I am astounded at.  3 nights, balcony, Hamburg, Le Havre, Southampton.......£45.08  And no, thats not per night!

It's the couple of nights pre-cruise in the Reeperbahn that's exciting!

24 minutes ago, davemorton said:

When's that Dave? It's cheaper than staying at home... 

Andy 

26 minutes ago, davemorton said:

That’s a good price. 
but I can’t find it anywhere. Cheapest I found p&o was £199pp

44 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

I may be a bit naive but I don't understand, after all the declared cancellation policies in the Carnival group and beyond, why it takes days for P&O to make a statement, other than a Twitter post saying they are going to make a statement.

They must know full well that many people who have paid them thousands of £s in good faith are waiting to find out of they will lose most of it if they err on the side of caution and cancel their cruise holiday to avoid the coronavirus.

Are they hedging their bets on finding an avoidance clause, or incapable of communication due to normal P&O IT problems?

I suspect that P&O are (as usual) seeking to protect their profits for as long as possible and are prepared to lose goodwill in doing so. I suspect that they will not make a decision until after the outcome of the Cobra meeting tomorrow morning is known and will not change their postion unless it forces their hand. I hope that I am misjudging them, but fear that I am not.

They posted last night they will be updating their cancellation policy with in 48 hours, so I guess that will be tomorrow.  This is for those who are with in 90 days of sailing. we are April, so will wait and see,

As no Pando ships have been quarantined, and the whole of the UK haven't gone down with it yet, and the governement haven't stopped large gatherings of people yet , I guess they could only go with the advice given to them.

I am expecting the divi and OBC for shareholders to be reduced or withdrawn after all of this , as all the cruise lines will be losing a lot of money.

On FB they said shares were under £16 each.

29 minutes ago, the english lady said:

I am expecting the divi and OBC for shareholders to be reduced or withdrawn after all of this , as all the cruise lines will be losing a lot of money.

On FB they said shares were under £16 each.