Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

They would have to pay me £45 to get back on MSC... 

Andy 

I that your final answer Andy ?

You also get free unlimited loo rolls whilst onboard !
On an Italian ship you would need them.
One person coughs and  another 100 crap themselves.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tommart said:

Probably, as others have said, after tomorrow's COBRA meeting.

1 minute ago, Tommart said:

Probably, as others have said, after tomorrow's COBRA meeting.

Yes and help in budget.

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

They posted last night they will be updating their cancellation policy with in 48 hours, so I guess that will be tomorrow.  This is for those who are with in 90 days of sailing. we are April, so will wait and see,

As no Pando ships have been quarantined, and the whole of the UK haven't gone down with it yet, and the governement haven't stopped large gatherings of people yet , I guess they could only go with the advice given to them.

I am expecting the divi and OBC for shareholders to be reduced or withdrawn after all of this , as all the cruise lines will be losing a lot of money.

On FB they said shares were under £16 each.

They'll want to encourage people to book cruises and buy shares so I can't see them removing benefits. Besides which, OBC costs them peanuts. The dividend is another matter though and I'm sure that will be affected. 

9 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They'll want to encourage people to book cruises and buy shares so I can't see them removing benefits. Besides which, OBC costs them peanuts. The dividend is another matter though and I'm sure that will be affected. 

I agree, the OBC is a better loyalty benefit than the Peninsular Club, and removing it would be more costly than retaining it.

it's inevitable that the dividend will suffer because the current downturn will damage profit for longer than the virus outbreak lasts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

I agree, the OBC is a better loyalty benefit than the Peninsular Club, and removing it would be more costly than retaining it.

it's inevitable that the dividend will suffer because the current downturn will damage profit for longer than the virus outbreak lasts.

Dividends?  Fat chance now - survival's the name of the game!

15 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

The normal OBC you get when booking cruises with a select fare has gone down from the dizzy amounts you used to get , so I can see this perk being reduced .

8 minutes ago, the english lady said:

The normal OBC you get when booking cruises with a select fare has gone down from the dizzy amounts you used to get , so I can see this perk being reduced .

I think the shareholder benefits will remain. First, because it probably brings more customers/profits in than it costs. Second, because it supports the share price - probably the only thing supporting the share price at the moment!

Don't know how accurate this is but there is a posting on a fb site saying that P&O are to email everyone affected offering the option to cancel and receive a credit voucher. No more detail. Email tomorrow.

might be Chinese whispers.

Edited by jake 26

1 minute ago, jake 26 said:

Don't know how accurate this is but there is a posting on a fb site saying that P&O are to email everyone affected offering the option to cancel and receive a credit voucher. No more detail.

might be Chinese whispers.

Unless it it from P&O I wouldn’t believe it, imo.

Morning All

A little positive news from P&O Via my In-Laws.

We are travelling on N004 next Tuesday, they are coming with us, my FIL is in 80's and has a well documented lung issue, my MIL had a knee replacement only 3 weeks ago, they were still going and were looking forward to it. Anyway yesterday teatime they decided it was too much of a risk and called P&O to discuss options.

The very helpful lady at P&O listened and said she agreed they should cancel, she said there was meetings yesterday evening and morning to decide the exact policy and to get the staff up to speed. She will call my MIL back this afternoon but said cancelling would be no problem and could use the payment as FCC. She said that the full set of rules would be out today and to hang on because a refund option MAY be included but even as of yesterday they could cancel for FCC without a doctors letter.

Don't shoot the messenger if this is not the case, just passing on what we are told.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Morning All

A little positive news from P&O Via my In-Laws.

We are travelling on N004 next Tuesday, they are coming with us, my FIL is in 80's and has a well documented lung issue, my MIL had a knee replacement only 3 weeks ago, they were still going and were looking forward to it. Anyway yesterday teatime they decided it was too much of a risk and called P&O to discuss options.

The very helpful lady at P&O listened and said she agreed they should cancel, she said there was meetings yesterday evening and morning to decide the exact policy and to get the staff up to speed. She will call my MIL back this afternoon but said cancelling would be no problem and could use the payment as FCC. She said that the full set of rules would be out today and to hang on because a refund option MAY be included but even as of yesterday they could cancel for FCC without a doctors letter.

Don't shoot the messenger if this is not the case, just passing on what we are told.

That sounds very positive, if it is the case.  I know many people would like a refund rather that FCC,  but realistically I think that in the current circumstances,  unless the government places a ban on unnecessary travel, and/or  stops cruises full stop, that is likely the most that can be expected. However, being able to use the FCC  to the end of 2022 would be ideal.  

Due to the repetitive nature of P&O itineraries, especially with the trend towards larger ships, there are no cruises within the current booking window that we would wish to transfer to, so we are hoping for the ability to get a refund on our May cruise. I appreciate that this is extremely unlikely, as so many people would cancel it would make the cruise unviable, so the more likely option is that we will end up going unless the government advises against cruise travel by then (anything is possible at present). Closer to the time, if things are getting really bad but cruises are still going ahead, we may look at the medical exemption route.

As for our July cruise, as we thankfully booked direct with P&O the balance due date isn’t until 90 days before (TA’s usually require payment earlier) so we have until the end of April to make a decision, but I can see us losing the deposit and walking away from that one. Never thought I’d say it, but cruising is losing its appeal for us. We could cope with quarantine at home, but not in a cabin and cruise ships are now seen as floating Petri dishes!

Important changes to your holiday terms

Applicable to holidays departing before 1 September 2020

As your P&O Cruises holiday approaches, we wanted to get in touch to let you know about some important changes we've made to your holiday terms given the current uncertainty surrounding travel. Rest assured, we're doing everything we can to help you navigate this evolving situation. For your latest updates please click here

In this ever-changing environment, we understand that you may well feel in need of some added flexibility, so please read on to consider your options in light of a number of recent enhancements we have made to our cancellation and transfer policies. 

shine.png

Sailing as planned 

If you'd like to keep your existing booking, your ship and crew are ready and waiting to welcome you. We are pleased to be able to offer you some on-board spending money to enhance your holiday; this will be credited to your on-board account and can be used for drinks, spa treatments, room service and shore experiences booked on board.

The amount you'll receive depends upon the number of nights you'll be spending on board with us:

Cruise duration (nights)   On-board spending money per cabin
1-3   £100
4-7   £200
8-14   £400
15+   £600

There's no need to call us; your on-board spending money will be added to your account in time for departure and you will receive an updated booking confirmation in due course to confirm this. 

Transferring your booking 

You also have the option of transferring your holiday to an alternative date should you wish, and you can do this up to 48 hours before departure. Under our temporary highly flexible terms, you can choose to transfer your holiday to any sailing within our published programme. Any holiday, any price, anywhere!

Cancelling your holiday

Should you wish to cancel your holiday, you'll be pleased to know we've temporarily relaxed our cancellation policy given the circumstances. Here's a guide to what you need to know: 

• As you're booked on a P&O Cruises holiday sailing before 31 August 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure

• Cancelled bookings will receive a Future Cruise Credit equivalent to the cancellation fees and refunds will be given on any remaining monies paid - full details of how this will be applied are outlined in the table overleaf

• Your Future Cruise Credit can be used right up to the end of next year (31 December 2021) and can be redeemed against any P&O Cruises holiday sailing until the end of March 2022

Select Price and Early Saver: Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises    Cancellation charges    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 91 days before departure    Loss of deposit    FCC given to value of deposit
90 to 57 days    50%   Refund 50%. FCC 50% 
56 to 42 days   60%   Refund 40%. FCC 60%
41 to 16 days    75%   Refund 25%. FCC 75%
15 to 6 days    90%   Refund 10%. FCC 90%
Less than 6 days and up until 2 days prior to departure   100%   Refund 0%. FCC 100%
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark    100%   No refund or FCC
Saver: Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises   Original Cancellation charges (percentage of fare)    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 2 days prior to departure    100%    100% FCC
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark   100%   No refund or FCC

Full details of this interim transfer policy, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found here. We will be contacting booked guests with a cruise departing from 1 September onwards shortly.

We hope this helps clearly outline all of your options. To make any changes to your booking please call us on 0344 338 8594(local call charges apply), otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon. 

Edited by galeforce9
  • Thanks 1

Just received an email from P&O,  basically free cancellation for all cruises until the end of August. Additional OBC for those willing to continue with their cruise. Refunds and FCC available in varying amounts. That's the basic theme, but you will see all details when you receive your email. We are due  on Arcadia round Britain in August.

Never thought I’d say it, but cruising is losing its appeal for us. We could cope with quarantine at home, but not in a cabin and cruise ships are now seen as floating Petri dishes!

I am of the same mind....we have been fortunate enough to be able to do and see all that we want and this just shows how wrong things can go....out of the blue. We have quite a few places that we visit every year in this country and we have wonderful times and I think that is the what we will concentrate on...not cruising...which for some time has lost its  " shine". We may do the odd cruise....maybe....will see how this turns out but I have a feeling that the cost to the industry will be reflected in future pricing

Important changes to your holiday terms

Applicable to holidays departing before 1 September 2020

As your P&O Cruises holiday approaches, we wanted to get in touch to let you know about some important changes we've made to your holiday terms given the current uncertainty surrounding travel. Rest assured, we're doing everything we can to help you navigate this evolving situation. For your latest updates please click here

In this ever-changing environment, we understand that you may well feel in need of some added flexibility, so please read on to consider your options in light of a number of recent enhancements we have made to our cancellation and transfer policies. 

shine.png

Sailing as planned 

If you'd like to keep your existing booking, your ship and crew are ready and waiting to welcome you. We are pleased to be able to offer you some on-board spending money to enhance your holiday; this will be credited to your on-board account and can be used for drinks, spa treatments, room service and shore experiences booked on board.

The amount you'll receive depends upon the number of nights you'll be spending on board with us:

Cruise duration (nights)   On-board spending money per cabin
1-3   £100
4-7   £200
8-14   £400
15+   £600

There's no need to call us; your on-board spending money will be added to your account in time for departure and you will receive an updated booking confirmation in due course to confirm this. 

Transferring your booking 

You also have the option of transferring your holiday to an alternative date should you wish, and you can do this up to 48 hours before departure. Under our temporary highly flexible terms, you can choose to transfer your holiday to any sailing within our published programme. Any holiday, any price, anywhere!

Cancelling your holiday

Should you wish to cancel your holiday, you'll be pleased to know we've temporarily relaxed our cancellation policy given the circumstances. Here's a guide to what you need to know: 

• As you're booked on a P&O Cruises holiday sailing before 31 August 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure

• Cancelled bookings will receive a Future Cruise Credit equivalent to the cancellation fees and refunds will be given on any remaining monies paid - full details of how this will be applied are outlined in the table overleaf

• Your Future Cruise Credit can be used right up to the end of next year (31 December 2021) and can be redeemed against any P&O Cruises holiday sailing until the end of March 2022

Select Price and Early Saver: Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises    Cancellation charges    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 91 days before departure    Loss of deposit    FCC given to value of deposit
90 to 57 days    50%   Refund 50%. FCC 50% 
56 to 42 days   60%   Refund 40%. FCC 60%
41 to 16 days    75%   Refund 25%. FCC 75%
15 to 6 days    90%   Refund 10%. FCC 90%
Less than 6 days and up until 2 days prior to departure   100%   Refund 0%. FCC 100%
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark    100%   No refund or FCC

Saver: Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises   Original Cancellation charges (percentage of fare)    New Interim Policy (assuming cruise paid for in full by required date)
From the date of booking until 2 days prior to departure    100%    100% FCC
Less than 2 days prior to departure and failure to embark   100%   No refund or FCC

Full details of this interim transfer policy, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found here. We will be contacting booked guests with a cruise departing from 1 September onwards shortly.

We hope this helps clearly outline all of your options. To make any changes to your booking please call us on 0344 338 8594 (local call charges apply), otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.