Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

After further searching I found this under the items that would not be covered by my travel insurance.  My broker is checking with the insurer to obtain clarification in view of P&O's new pre boarding policy, and I am awaiting their reply.. But I doubt that the insurance industry will waive this get out, especially if it leads to lots of claims.

For each insured-person this insurance will not cover :
• your carrier's refusal to allow you to travel for whatever reason

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

After further searching I found this under the items that would not be covered by my travel insurance.  My broker is checking with the insurer to obtain clarification in view of P&O's new pre boarding policy, and I am awaiting their reply.. But I doubt that the insurance industry will waive this get out, especially if it leads to lots of claims.

For each insured-person this insurance will not cover :
• your carrier's refusal to allow you to travel for whatever reason

I presume (but don’t know) that if P&O refuse boarding then they might be liable to refund you in full, especially if travel insurance does not cover that scenario. If not, and this becomes widely known, then they are going to be inundated with even more cancellations than they are dealing with at present?

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I presume (but don’t know) that if P&O refuse boarding then they might be liable to refund you in full, especially if travel insurance does not cover that scenario. If not, and this becomes widely known, then they are going to be inundated with even more cancellations than they are dealing with at present?

This is what I want to know too. As far as I can assume if there is a medical reason for us not to go that is proven by a doctor I am covered but if p&o don’t want to let us on and there’s no medical reason just an assumption then insurance won’t cover that. 

I want p&o to reply to me on this but they seems to be ignoring me so far. 

I understand it’s for safety but either people will lie now on these questionnaires or people will get turned away and it will start all kinds of complaints. 

50 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

This is what I want to know too. As far as I can assume if there is a medical reason for us not to go that is proven by a doctor I am covered but if p&o don’t want to let us on and there’s no medical reason just an assumption then insurance won’t cover that. 

I want p&o to reply to me on this but they seems to be ignoring me so far. 

I understand it’s for safety but either people will lie now on these questionnaires or people will get turned away and it will start all kinds of complaints. 

Personally I would go if my wife wanted to go.

Hopefully for your husband you get into Tenerife but if you don't there are other ports.

You could always go to Tenerife another time for 3,4,5 nights or longer on a package.

They appear to have removed the Travel Advisory from the front page of their website.  They would only turn you away if you had a temperature surely and even then they have to do other checks.  you might just have a cold.

Edited by jeanlyon

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

They appear to have removed the Travel Advisory from the front page of their website.  They would only turn you away if you had a temperature surely and even then they have to do other checks.  you might just have a cold.

I agree.

Apparently the tests take 48 hours to get a result so it would be very unfair to be refused entry for a cold.

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It clearly says that in the advisory, however, I do not see how if someone has a temperature when they are getting a cold, that P&O can tell if it's a cold or coronavirus. 

This is my issue. If it is not the coronavirus and just a cold and they don’t let you on then who is liable. 

This is what I just got back for my insurer 

624858CC-1D7B-44E7-917C-837424ABFAD1.thumb.jpeg.60f5d377666ff110a593c3574f095712.jpeg

they are saying that p&o are liable. 

P&o havent responded to me in 17 hours. Usually it’s within an hour. Might have to call them but I prefer it in writing. 

We need to know exactly what will be done and when. As surely if the medical team say your unfit then insurance will cover as that’s medical but if you can’t prove your unwell and the government are saying travel is ok then p&o are making the decision to not let you board due to their screening and that isn’t covered by your insurer. 

My insurance broker has confirmed that the exclusion cause would mean that we would not succeed with a claim if the cruise operator refused to let us board  although each claim would be judged on its merits, which really means no refund. They did suggest that claiming through your credit card provider might be one option, and a refund from your cruise operator might also be a possibility.

I imagine that pursuing P&O is most likely to provide the best outcome, but until they decide how they are going to handle it we remain in the dark.

It would be good if someone who is travelling in the next week or so, could tell us what the checks are.  A friend just returned from a holiday to Sri Lanka and the Maldives.  He was temp checked in both places but not on return to Heathrow

Looks like the next one from SOU is Oceana on 8th March.

Edited by jeanlyon

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Absolutely agree.  Just asked my insurer.  They do not cover pandemics or epidemics.  My TA or the tour operator (P&O) should refund me if I am turned away.

Check your full policy wording, Jean.  Call centre staff are frequently wrong on detail, and give out incorrect information.  They may well be right, but worth checking.  There would need to be a specific exclusion in the policy wording to avoid a claim.

Some policies specifically exclude pandemics and epidemics but many don't.  The ones I looked at the other day were at the cheaper end and none of them contained the necessary exclusion clause.

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Check your full policy wording, Jean.  Call centre staff are frequently wrong on detail, and give out incorrect information.  They may well be right, but worth checking.  There would need to be a specific exclusion in the policy wording to avoid a claim.

Some policies specifically exclude pandemics and epidemics but many don't.  The ones I looked at the other day were at the cheaper end and none of them contained the necessary exclusion clause.

Harry

Harry  mine states it will not cover any claim if the carrier refuses to allow me to travel for any reason.

It's under the small print but clear enough and they confirm it would be used in these circumstances.

So my advice is that people must carefully check their policy wording.

39 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It would be good if someone who is travelling in the next week or so, could tell us what the checks are.  A friend just returned from a holiday to Sri Lanka and the Maldives.  He was temp checked in both places but not on return to Heathrow

Looks like the next one from SOU is Oceana on 8th March.

Aurora  is in today Jean. 

Andy 

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry  mine states it will not cover any claim if the carrier refuses to allow me to travel for any reason.

It's under the small print but clear enough and they confirm it would be used in these circumstances.

So my advice is that people must carefully check their policy wording.

Agreed, John - it's the policy wording that counts. 

The refusal to carry clause is pretty common (aimed probably at bad behaviour etc but useful for insurers in this situation) but I was referring to the pandemic/epidemic exclusion which is worrying people.  It may well be in some policies, but certainly not all, or I think most even.

Interesting comment in the Telegraph (not gospel of course, but perhaps reassuring, particularly for policies issued by ABI members).  Again, though - check the policy.  No specific pandemic/epidemic wording, no exclusion.

What if a pandemic is declared?

If the World Health Organisation (WHO) declares a pandemic, this will not affect your travel insurance. 

The ABI confirmed to Telegraph Travel that there were no pandemic clauses used by any of its members. “FCO advice or other restrictions outside of individuals’ control will be the trigger for cancellations,” a spokesperson said. 

Harry

I have 15 days until I have to pay over £2000 final payment for my next cruise.

I am at risk category for age and medical 

it is a 14 night cruise to Norway

I have cruised to Norway several times and apart from Alta have been to all the ports several times.

Risks:

- catch a 'bug' traveling to the port, two train journeys totalling nearly 4 hours

- staying in a hotel overnight with lots of other people

- going through the check in interrogation and if display any of several symptoms denied boarding

- insurance company say they will not cover if denied boarding

- really can't stand the hassle of arguing with the insurance company and cruise line as they blame each other

- on board and someone displays symptoms

- might be confined to my inside cabin for up to 14 days

- miss ports

I don't have to cruise to Norway this summer. I can save the money and go later

I think I know what my cancellation decision is likely to be!

Then go through the whole process again for my autumn and winter cruises. at least the deposits are low, both less than £100

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I have 15 days until I have to pay over £2000 final payment for my next cruise.

I am at risk category for age and medical 

it is a 14 night cruise to Norway

I have cruised to Norway several times and apart from Alta have been to all the ports several times.

Risks:

- catch a 'bug' traveling to the port, two train journeys totalling nearly 4 hours

- staying in a hotel overnight with lots of other people

- going through the check in interrogation and if display any of several symptoms denied boarding

- insurance company say they will not cover if denied boarding

- really can't stand the hassle of arguing with the insurance company and cruise line as they blame each other

- on board and someone displays symptoms

- might be confined to my inside cabin for up to 14 days

- miss ports

I don't have to cruise to Norway this summer. I can save the money and go later

I think I know what my cancellation decision is likely to be!

Then go through the whole process again for my autumn and winter cruises. at least the deposits are low, both less than £100

Sounds sensible Dave. 

If I had to pay a balance now, I would be transferring it to a later date. 

Andy