AMAWaterways Covid 19 Cancel Policy

AF-1

5 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

No, it's because they had not as yet cancelled the cruise when I cancelled. And I do have a separate travel insurance plan and a note from my husband's doctor.  Ama now gets to keep 80% of my cruise and $700 from airfare.  I know it's a business and they need the money but they did verbally assure me that I would get 100% refund.  I hope to get most of it back from travel insurance.  With all that's going on in the world, I am not sure why this is upsetting me so much. I guess because I was mislead and they should stick by their mistake of verbally offering it to me.

They should have emailed you a refund confirmation....that is what I got. Actually, I just called them and the gal said

she could see mine. If they don't honor it? I will email them that confirmation they sent me. But she did say she could

see it in the pending status. Will see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

They should have emailed you a refund confirmation....that is what I got. Actually, I just called them and the gal said

she could see mine. If they don't honor it? I will email them that confirmation they sent me. But she did say she could

see it in the pending status. Will see what happens.

When I cancelled, they said they would email it but never did. I asked for an email today. They cannot even tell me when they will send it. Accused me of trying to double dip, claim insurance and get a refund from them.  That's impossible.  In order to claim insurance, I have to have something in writing from them saying what was paid and what they are not refunding.

12 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

When I cancelled, they said they would email it but never did. I asked for an email today. They cannot even tell me when they will send it. Accused me of trying to double dip, claim insurance and get a refund from them.  That's impossible.  In order to claim insurance, I have to have something in writing from them saying what was paid and what they are not refunding.

This sounds too funky!  I had no problems...sorry they are giving you such a hard time. I got my email within an hour

of the call...sounds like we were talking to 2 different companies!

Boy it sure does sound like bad news for Cathysocal.  Sorry that you were mislead.  Hope you get it fixed;  keep us posted one way or the other;  I am coming up against same thing in about a month.  I have an early may trip.  6 May to be exact

Edited by AF-1

4 hours ago, Cathysocal said:

If I understand your posts correctly, you are getting made whole – just that 20% is from AMA and 80% from your insurance company.  If that helps AMA stay in business, you (along with all of us) will benefit.

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If I understand your posts correctly, you are getting made whole – just that 20% is from AMA and 80% from your insurance company.  If that helps AMA stay in business, you (along with all of us) will benefit.

Insurance isn't free. Rates will go up in the future because of all the claims.

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think that I will eventually be made whole or close to it.  But I don't have any documentation from Ama yet. I know that travel insurance companies like to delay and try not to pay.  I think Allianz will pay but that is not guaranteed. It will likely be a couple months before I know for sure. My gripe with Ama is they did verbally tell me that I would get a 100% refund, probably a mistake by the person answering the phone.  Really, Ama should give me priority as a customer that is letting them keep 80% of my money without providing a service.  Instead, they are giving refunds to the other folks who were actually cancelled after me.  I have not received my 20% or even any documentation about what I should be receiving.

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Boy it sure does sound like bad news for Cathysocal.  Sorry that you were mislead.  Hope you get it fixed;  keep us posted one way or the other;  I am coming up against same thing in about a month.  I have an early may trip.  6 May to be exact

Thanks for your concern. My advice is don't cancel. Let them cancel you and you should be good (unless their policies change). It was just bad luck/bad timing that I canceled a day before they cancelled and offered the 100% refunds.

13 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Insurance isn't free. Rates will go up in the future because of all the claims.

Yes, insurance is not free. I paid for mine. There are loopholes and sometimes they don't pay out. I believe mine will but there are no guarantees. And yes rates will go up and new policies do not cover coronavirus claims. 

6 hours ago, Cathysocal said:

Unfortunately Ama has reneged on this promise of a full refund. I am still waiting on something in writing as to what they are going to refund (should be 20%) and have not received any refund. I need something in writing so that I can start an insurance claim. No longer happy with their customer service. I told them that a verbal contract is still a contract but they didn't seem to care.

Oh, my. That's awful. I'm assuming you are escalating within the company. I'd would absolutely also use social media, which has proven very effective for me in similar situations.

I agree with RadioPeri,  if you don't get satisfaction with AMA or your insurance company; go to their facebook page and write a complain.  These companies maintain their facebook page; and the last thing they want on their page is negative publicity.

Edited by AF-1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I agree with RadioPeri,  if you don't get satisfaction with AMA or your insurance company; go to their facebook page and write a complain.  These companies maintain their facebook page; and the last thing they want on their page is negative publicity.

Ama is also a big Instagram user, so commenting on their posts there is another way to get their attention. On Twitter, find them at @AmaWaterways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Good luck.

Thanks! Twitter worked. Ama called me about an hour after my tweet. They pushed through my cancellation and refund. I am still only getting 20% of the cruise and all but $600 on the airfare. I now have the documentation to submit to travel insurance.

31 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

Thanks! Twitter worked. Ama called me about an hour after my tweet. They pushed through my cancellation and refund. I am still only getting 20% of the cruise and all but $600 on the airfare. I now have the documentation to submit to travel insurance.

Glad things worked out for you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

YES!!! This makes me so happy! It was 100% the right thing to do, and you shouldn't have had to call them out on social media to make it happen.

I hope your claim goes smoothly.

• Like 1

AMA has cancelled all May cruises and refuses to offer refunds. Will only give Future Cruise Credit despite their Terms and Conditions which state:

Cancellation by Carrier: Carrier reserves the right to cancel, change or postpone any cruise departure date and itinerary. In the event of a complete cancellation of a departure by Carrier, we will refund monies paid for the cruise or cruise & land package to those participants who have not previously cancelled. See Passenger Ticket Contract for further details.

24 minutes ago, tsklag said:

AMA has cancelled all May cruises and refuses to offer refunds. Will only give Future Cruise Credit despite their Terms and Conditions which state:

Cancellation by Carrier: Carrier reserves the right to cancel, change or postpone any cruise departure date and itinerary. In the event of a complete cancellation of a departure by Carrier, we will refund monies paid for the cruise or cruise & land package to those participants who have not previously cancelled. See Passenger Ticket Contract for further details.

I'd dispute the charge with my credit card company.

Hi All,

We have been counting on the contract issued by Ama for refund in this event, foreseeing it for a few days now. We realize that they are in hard times but their future is in jeopardy if it's found they don't honour their own contracts. We will certainly be following this closely over the next few days and have contacted our T/A. Should Ama persist in keeping monies paid we will be contacting our Credit Card company as you have indicated. Hopefully a class action suit won't be necessary.

Their announcement states they are offering 115% FCC.  It does not say that they will NOT be issuing a refund to credit cards.  If they refuse to refund the credit card you can request a chargeback from your credit as what you purchased was not delivered.

22 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Their announcement states they are offering 115% FCC.  It does not say that they will NOT be issuing a refund to credit cards.  If they refuse to refund the credit card you can request a chargeback from your credit as what you purchased was not delivered.

My travel agent told me that they will not issue a refund. The previous coronavirus notification explicitly mentioned a refund as an option. The current one does not.

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

cruisr; so can you do this online with your credit card company or call them?