Royal Caribbean in trouble

dougburns

I see from the timing of the press release that I cancelled one hour and 13 minutes before the release. I hope they don't try to tell me that they didn't know this was coming when I cancelled. 

If they don't play ball then at least I stand to get a huge cash injection from cancelling cruises later in the year!

• Haha 1

Don't blame you TTS

It's worth speaking to see if they'll do the right thing.

With 4 booked and definite concerns for and as a few others have said, there is no guarantee than any CL can actually survive this. Sure in time, there will be cruises... But it could be Regal Caribbean and Sobersea selling them.

Edited by les37b

17 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

I am absolutely livid. 4 hrs ago I cancelled our cruise from Ft Lauderdale leaving on Monday. They must have known about this announcement. As a loyal customer I should have been told about this announcement and advised to hold off. 

I've emailed and asked that they consider treating me as if they had cancelled. We'll see what happens. 

4 hours. 4 hours! 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5193/

TTS...hope Silversea treat your loyalty with the respect it deserves and do the right thing.

After 22 years of superb SS cruising shall be very interested in how they treat your loyalty.Fingers crossed for you!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brimary said:

TTS...hope Silversea treat your loyalty with the respect it deserves and do the right thing.

After 22 years of superb SS cruising shall be very interested in how they treat your loyalty.Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for that. In fact the press release is timed 1 hr after our cancellation so they cannot pretend that the cruise suspension was not known at the time. 

TTS...noticed in today’s Daily Mail Cruise update.Silversea are allowing passengers to postpone or cancel holidays without charge.It also states RCC can cancel sailings as late as two days prior to departure.Hope it works out for you and SS do the right thing.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:46 PM, Tothesunset said:

I am absolutely livid. 4 hrs ago I cancelled our cruise from Ft Lauderdale leaving on Monday. They must have known about this announcement. As a loyal customer I should have been told about this announcement and advised to hold off. 

I've emailed and asked that they consider treating me as if they had cancelled. We'll see what happens. 

4 hours. 4 hours! 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5193/

Well, well. 

Good old Silversea. They have agreed to refund the total invoice amount to the original payment method. 

Originally they offered a FCC for the cruise cost but I would lose the hotel and transfer element of the booking. I emailed saying that I clearly had been allowed to cancel at a time when the decision to suspend must have been already taken and expected to be treated as if SS had pulled the plug. 

And that is what they did. I'm both impressed and gratified that they have acted so honourably.  Kudos to SS. 

(Incidentally, when I did the maths I see that I cancelled 1 hr and 15 mins before the press release.)

Edited by Tothesunset
Typo.
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, brimary said:

TTS.....glad to see justice done even though you had to fight for the positive result!!!!

To be fair, I stated my case by email to my rep on Friday evening knowing that his next day in the office would be Monday. Spoke to his answer machine yesterday (Tuesday), got callback today with the good news. 

Particularly impressed as they are under great pressure and are attempting to work from home. 

Slight snag is that the refund has to go back to the original payment method as per money-laundering regs, but that account was closed months ago. Rang the company and, essentially, it's easy to sort out. 

So we are impressed and will leave our future bookings untouched. 

Edited by Tothesunset
Phone screen too small, typos inevitable.