Cruise Critic Community
carlacruz

Some people 70+ should be barred from boarding cruise ships, industry proposal says

23 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

You my friend have no clue

Well, it  doesn’t surprise me that’s NCL is first out of the gate with keeping the money of its 70+ year old customers...it’s balance sheet has been bleeding the reddest ink of the lot going into this situation.

Now most every cruise line is pocketing the final payment funds in total, in exchange for their FCCs (whose value may be flushed should they file for bankruptcy protection—a very likely scenario for a few of them).

The corona virus has drained the swamp...and it’s becoming crystal clear to the world that all the cruise lines are pretty much naked and deeply in debt.

Has Carnival issued a similar notification as NCL yet?

I haven't received notice, email, or notice on my Carnival cruise login.

18 hours ago, sunprairie1979 said:

I completely disagree. I don't think you'd find a doctor in the US right now who would take on the liability of writing a note saying someone in the "at risk" age group is "fit" to go on a cruise. Even if they believe it, with the State Department warning, WHO Pandemic declaration, etc. they are setting themselves up for a liability nightmare if the person got sick and, heaven forbid, died after writing such a note.

Agree with you, moreover, this would not hold water if tested in court as age discrimination, whether you agree with the policy or not.  Either everyone produces a note, or no one does.  We will all need to wait and see how this plays out...

This was sent to a a couple who is over 70. I am very upset about this. I know peoplw who

are over 70 and have very nicely managed their diabetes. If you have a certain condition, you

may not cruise, regardless how it is currently being managed. I know of many under age 70

who DO NOT take care of themselves, but they can cruise because they are under 70.

Viking Ocean, for one, will be strongly hit by this. 

This is effective this Monday. What is so funny, is that they will issue FCC to sail later! LOL!!!

The OP said his TA said it was true.

Dear xxxxxx

It's no secret that the world is a challenging place at the moment which is affecting all of us in some way or another!  Many of you have already canceled your upcoming travel plans or maybe trying to decide what to do in the coming weeks.  I wanted to make you aware of a new policy being implemented by almost all cruise lines as they continue to make sure they keep their passenger and crew as safe as possible.

Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, any person age 70 or older must present written verification from a qualified physician certifying that the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel and in good health. Additionally, any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC – i.e. chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer – will be unable to sail.

It's important to confirm if you are going to continue with your cruise plans that you are aware of any new policies and procedures for boarding.

If you are unable to provide a "fit to travel" letter from your physician or have a compromising medical condition, they will provide you with a Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with them at a later time.

If you have any questions at all, please reach out to me and we will walk thru the changes together!  I can't thank you all enough for your business and hope that going forward you will help spread the word how important it is to use a travel professional!

My Best

On 3/11/2020 at 12:57 PM, bahacca said:

I feel like this is a good call. Those who are healthy and in good shape will have no issue getting a Dr to sign off on their health. 

You must be in perfect health. My friend has Type II Diabetes and manges it very well

but this rules her out!!! Think about it. And, oh, BTW- I would need heart surgery to correct

my congenital heart defect with which I have had two natural childbirths.

My wife and I are soon to be 73 and we have enjoyed cruising in our retirement years.

We've already had to cancel two cruises because of COVID-19.  We have one in the books

for Alaska on 8/23 on NCL.  We both have underlying medical contitions. Her wiht mild Parkinsons

Me with Diabetes, Neuropathy in both legs,, both caused by my exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Our daughter and her family  of are going too.  They are so looking forward to it.  This would be our second

cruise there, But would still love to see it with them.  I feel this will hurt the cruise industry.  Some articles have said,

that on average, 14-16% of cruisers are over 70.  Not sure they could cover that loss.

Hoping to still go, but not looking good.

If Holland America starts to require such medical authorization to sail, it will pretty much put an end to their Grand Voyages, like the World Cruise, Grand Asia, the South America/Antarctica and other similar sailings. 

Sigh......

It would make nonsense of the current guide lines of shielding elderly relatives if they could be waved off on a cruise ship at risk of mixing with crew and other passengers who may be infected.  
We are fit and healthy almost 70 year olds but our family has asked us to remain at home and are doing all our shopping etc.  Until we have either got immunity from a vaccine or the unlikely event of catching the virus then we are in the at risk group.  
No cruise line would want the responsibility of a ship full of elderly people falling ill.  
Either they will continue in business allowing those who test positive for the antibodies or they will not have no sailings at all.  Obviously crew would have to show they are carrying immunity too. 
Presumably this would apply to flights and holidays in general for those in the at risk group too. 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:20 PM, fingerlakesmike said:

My wife and I are soon to be 73 and we have enjoyed cruising in our retirement years.

We've already had to cancel two cruises because of COVID-19.  We have one in the books

for Alaska on 8/23 on NCL.  We both have underlying medical contitions. Her wiht mild Parkinsons

Me with Diabetes, Neuropathy in both legs,, both caused by my exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Our daughter and her family  of are going too.  They are so looking forward to it.  This would be our second

cruise there, But would still love to see it with them.  I feel this will hurt the cruise industry.  Some articles have said,

that on average, 14-16% of cruisers are over 70.  Not sure they could cover that loss.

Hoping to still go, but not looking good.

How are you coping at home at the moment.  We are having no physical contact with our family.  Shopping is delivered and left in the garage.  We are waved at through the window.  I would love to imagine we will all go on a holiday but it’s not an option.  

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/emirates-passengers-blood-test-covid-19/index.html

This could be the sign of things to come for ALL passengers.   First airline to do a  Pre boarding  blood test.  Cruise industry will surely follow.  However still not a guarantee that infection won’t break out once onboard unless they limit sailings to only those who test positive for anti bodies.  All crew would have to test positive for anti bodies too.