Refund for price difference?

UtahSaints

I have gone on many cruises but this will be the first with MSC next month in April. We booked our cruise on a balcony and paid in full a couple of months ago. I just noticed they have a new promotion where you can get a balcony for inside rooms prices. Now if I book the same balcony configuration on the same cruise the price is $700 cheaper. Has anybody had any luck with MSC about getting a refund for the difference since the price is now cheaper? Even onboard credit for the difference would be fine or me.  I would call them myself but it seems the wait time could be an hour or two.

Thanks!

Edited by UtahSaints
Not complete.

Right now, they are allowing customers to cancel cruises booked through July and giving Future Cruise Credit. Would it be worth your time to find out if you can cancel and rebook the same cruise? Speakerphone would free you up to do other things while on hold...

Just now, Jembeccatoo said:

Right now, they are allowing customers to cancel cruises booked through July and giving Future Cruise Credit. Would it be worth your time to find out if you can cancel and rebook the same cruise? Speakerphone would free you up to do other things while on hold...

I will call them and find out. 4 of us were going and one was my mother who is 75 and no longer wants to go because of the scare. Hopefully they will allow us to cancel the original booking and use all the credit for this trip with only 3 people now and allow us to use all the credit for this trip. A few years ago I was on a cruise ship that had some issues and they offered a 50% credit but the credit went to the individuals in the cabin even though I was the one that paid for the entire trip. So my friends that I paid for ended up with the credit and they never used it. 

If you call to cancel your cruise MSC is claiming it will take up to 14 days to get your FCC. You will not be able to immediately use it. So you'll either need to wait to rebook the same cruise you just cancelled, or pay in full for it and use the FCC some time later this year or next.

1 minute ago, skiierx131 said:

If you call to cancel your cruise MSC is claiming it will take up to 14 days to get your FCC. You will not be able to immediately use it. So you'll either need to wait to rebook the same cruise you just cancelled, or pay in full for it and use the FCC some time later this year or next.

I just noticed that on the page at https://m.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Mobile/Cruise-Deals/Cruise-Assurance-Program-FAQ.aspx

Also just 1 person can not cancel. You have to cancel the entire booking. So I would have to cancel and wait 14 days hoping that rooms are still available and the price has not gone back up.

With only 3 going now instead of 4 the price difference is about $1100. Guess I will cancel and roll the dice and hopefully we can still get back on in 2 weeks. Also they don’t allow you to use any of the future cruise credit for onboard charges. 😕 

I wanted to do the same thing, however the price difference in my case is only $240 due to the recent low booking volume. 

I called them and they refused to offer any sort of onboard credit, which is understandable. I entertained the thought of cancelling using the Assurance program and then rebooking the same cruise at the lower rate, but was told the credit won't come until after the original cruise date has past. 

Depending on how far you are from your sailing date, you can lose just only the deposit (if > 60 days) if you cancel outright, then rebook the same cruise immediately. However if you are within 60 days or even less you can lose 50%+. Do some calculations and see what is best. 

5 hours ago, UtahSaints said:

I just noticed that on the page at https://m.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Mobile/Cruise-Deals/Cruise-Assurance-Program-FAQ.aspx

Also just 1 person can not cancel. You have to cancel the entire booking. So I would have to cancel and wait 14 days hoping that rooms are still available and the price has not gone back up.

With only 3 going now instead of 4 the price difference is about $1100. Guess I will cancel and roll the dice and hopefully we can still get back on in 2 weeks. Also they don’t allow you to use any of the future cruise credit for onboard charges. 😕 

Do not roll the dice, MSC is rigged in their favor.  Cancel everything and use another cruise line.  Just returned from cruise on Armonia, if you have never sailed MSC do not start now.