Just Announced - No travel to the US from Europe (except UK)

ziggyuk

OMG!!! I would hope that all on TA’s would cancel. This is a worldwide crisis. If anyone travels internationally at this point they should realize they are putting themselves and family, friends and the country at risk. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

Aside from Italy, the UK has the most cases of anyone in Europe.

This is puzzling. 

Not true. UK is well down on the list with 459 confirmed cases. In addition to Italy, France, Spain,  Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands and Sweden all have more cases than the UK:  .https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

This is puzzling. 

This is incorrect. According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, in addition to Italy, France (1 784), Spain (1 639), Germany (1 296), Switzerland (490), and the Netherlands (382) are all ahead of the U.K.  

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

Edited by tfrcal

2 minutes ago, tfrcal said:

This is incorrect. According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control France (1 784), Spain (1 639), Germany (1 296), Switzerland (490), and the Netherlands (382) are all ahead of the U.K.  

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

You're right.  Now I see everyone is correcting the source I pulled that from.

4 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

This is puzzling. 

That's not true.

total to date:

The UK 459

France 2284

Spain 2277

Germany 2966

etc etc

44 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

This article appears to have it backwards. Trump banned flights from Europe to the USA, not from the USA to Europe as this article claims. Of course that will likely result in no flights from the US to Europe as a consequence, but the ban is stated as being on incoming flights to the US.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

This article appears to have it backwards. Trump banned flights from Europe to the USA, not from the USA to Europe as this article claims. Of course that will likely result in no flights from the US to Europe as a consequence, but the ban is stated as being on incoming flights to the US.

😂, I did not notice that, it was the first article following the announcement, I guess they were typing pretty fast.

They really had it up in minutes of the announcement starting.

Just now, JustAPilot said:

Folks I think it’s time to start thinking about cancelling those dream Euro cruises, especially the TA’s coming up. Just because you are healthy it doesn’t mean the people you interact with have the same immune system. 

This is exactly what I was thinking, I was supposed to be going on a land based to Italy in June which id pretty unlikely now but I had already told my 70 year old mother I would not be able to visit for a while on my return, I could not live with myself!

so what happens if you are an american currently on a ship in europe that doesn't end for a week or more...will u be allowed to return to usa from europe when the cruise ends?  what about flights?  TONS of questions and different situations to be sorted out in 48 hours...

My husband and I were just discussing this. My son piped up and said, "then why don't people just fly to Canada and drive to the United States?" 

Five seconds. Thats all the time it took a ten year old to figure out a huge gap in this plan. A plan that's going to cause massive hardships and maybe tank the travel industry for a long time to come. 

This seems a bit crazy to me

• Like 3

If they have been in Europe in the past 14 days then they are out, mode of transport should be irrelevant.  US permanent residents get in, but I hope they get quarantined.  

Perhaps Canada will have something to say about this.  I sure hope they do because they are putting their country at tremendous risk otherwise.

Time to look up, or dig up - as in search (just, maybe) for those one-way airline fares that go around the world to "bypass" the restrictions if one is devoted to cruising in the near/immediate future, no matter what :classic_rolleyes: 

There won't be any flight crew and/or co/pilots left after 2 or 3 days of this 30 days ban to keep the fewer remaining commercial aircraft flying (sure, grant them exemptions & put them in isolation/quarantine while deadheading or off-duty per mandatory layover ... 

Disembark in Paris, train to London & fly back to USA - safely under the radar for the ban ... just non-touch temperature screening, etc.  Or, re-route thru down under, fly east thru the Pacific on a long non-stop or connections, evading the Asia trouble spots & land in the Americas.  

The bigger question is, really, this is the best we can and should do to slow & stop the pandemic from spreading ??  Community infection is already happening just about everywhere, each time you look at the world map.  

IMHO, this administration might as well issue an executive order to instruct all airlines to stop flying into/out of the USA for 30+ days, if only that is going to stop the expected/predicted escalation of infected cases INSIDE the US borders.  

17 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Point of clarification. The season and games have been suspended, not cancelled.

Suspended.  Canceled.    Either way I’d guess there won’t be anymore games this year. The playoff start in 30 days.   And how can they have playoff if games have been suspended.    
guess we’ll have to wait and see.