Just Announced - No travel to the US from Europe (except UK)

ziggyuk

37 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I guess, some people can go to the UK and travel to the US from there 🤐

If they stay in the UK for two weeks before boarding a flight to the US: yes.

European airlines (or at least the Dutch KLM) will try to maintain services to the US, to fly back US citizens and to fly back Europeans on the return leg to Europe.

43 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I guess, some people can go to the UK and travel to the US from there 🤐

No they can't, they won't have a UK passport and neither can we travel to the US if we have been to banned EU countries in the last 14 days.

As I said upthread, are we a bunch of children trying to get our own way regardless of rules or common sense?  Or are we adults who know there is something very, very serious happening and these travel restrictions are an attempt to save our lives and we’ll grudgingly accept them rather than try to get around them?

This isn’t going to be a popular point of view, but I think the restrictions should also include the entire UK (sorry, Ziggy) because it’s just as affected as the EU.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, erdoran said:

As I said upthread, are we a bunch of children trying to get our own way regardless of rules or common sense?  Or are we adults who know there is something very, very serious happening and these travel restrictions are an attempt to save our lives and we’ll grudgingly accept them rather than try to get around them?

This isn’t going to be a popular point of view, but I think the restrictions should also include the entire UK (sorry, Ziggy) because it’s just as affected as the EU.

"The morning after Trump spoke, Lawrence Gostin, a public health law expert at Georgetown University, called the president's travel ban "incoherent" and said it would have no impact on the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S. Gostin added that the policy goes against recommendations from the WHO and other international agencies."

From https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/12/814876173/coronavirus-trump-speech-creates-chaos-eu-says-it-wasnt-warned-of-travel-ban

Just one man's opinion, of course. 

• Like 3

YOu`re right,sorry for that.

I think the ban itself is a rather good idea, but it comes way too late. This ban should have been done 4 weeks ago. Cause meanwhile there are surely hundreds or thousands of infected person already in the US. And there are also a lot of infected persons in UK.

So i can`t imagine that this ban will have the planned effect.

I planned to do a small non-cruise roadtrip end of May in the US but will now check for alternatives. As i don`t know how long the whole thing will last i don`t want to spend money for something i have to cancel later.

Fortunately my next NCL cruise(NYC to NOLA) is only in November.I hope that till then there is no further reason for such a ban.

Edited by CruiseMH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

Not unpopular at all, I have been saying for ages we have gone past the point of no return and so has the US, my view has not been popular but I think it's sadly proven now.

Our PM just did a great talk to the nation and basically said we are moving out of containment and into delay which is stage two, he fully expects us to have thousands of cases in the next 4 weeks and we are at the base of an epidemic curve.

The Delay period is designed to flatten the epidemic bell-shaped graph curve, allowing the health service to cope better and moving cases into the summer months where they can be dealt with better.

I think our government is being very honest, telling us the truth that will happen over the next month and what they will try and do to help

I would recommend anyone to watch the speech, I personally think is was honest and down to earth.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

YOu`re right,sorry for that.

I think the ban itself is a rather good idea, but it comes way too late. This ban should have been done 4 weeks ago. Cause meanwhile there are surely hundreds or thousands of infected person already in the US. And there are also a lot of infected persons in UK.

So i can`t imagine that this ban will have the planned effect.

I planned to do a small non-cruise roadtrip end of May in the US but will now check for alternatives. As i don`t know how long the whole thing will last i don`t want to spend money for something i have to cancel later.

Fortunately my next NCL cruise(NYC to NOLA) is only in November.I hope that till then there is no further reason for such a ban.

We canceled our upcoming trip, it was on the Bliss for 21 days, We currently have another cruise in October so hopefully things will be better by then. We will stay put for a while and like you may do a road trip, well to our family cottage in Canada..

Edited by spanishguy1970

26 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Not unpopular at all, I have been saying for ages we have gone past the point of no return and so has the US, my view has not been popular but I think it's sadly proven now.

Our PM just did a great talk to the nation and basically said we are moving out of containment and into delay which is stage two, he fully expects us to have thousands of cases in the next 4 weeks and we are at the base of an epidemic curve.

The Delay period is designed to flatten the epidemic bell-shaped graph curve, allowing the health service to cope better and moving cases into the summer months where they can be dealt with better.

I think our government is being very honest, telling us the truth that will happen over the next month and what they will try and do to help

I would recommend anyone to watch the speech, I personally think is was honest and down to earth.

Thanks for posting the Prime Minister's speech - he spoke very well with honesty.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 9:23 AM, erdoran said:

The reason UK is excluded from the ban:

https://apple.news/A3m3r38byRmG30u9xeGA29A

LOL!  Ridiculous.  If you expanded your news sources instead of reading ones put out by companies owned by the likes of Tim Cook and Al Gore you might find some truth.

The UK was excluded because they were the only country in Europe who were taking precautions ahead of time and until a day or two ago had very few cases which is why Trump said yesterday that he will likely be including them in the ban as well.  Who is traveling to stay in resorts now anyway?

"Breaking" News - UK and Ireland has now been added by the US to the no-travel-to-the-USA list, effective midnight next Monday, announced within the last hour.

One of the many news sources - choose your own preferred one & see the details, as they become available and updated - link (#no paywall ... a # of news outlet has unblocked their coverage to give non-subscribers free access to COVID-19 related info/news) 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/14/us-to-extend-travel-restrictions-to-uk-ireland-due-to-coronavirus-source.html 

Sorry to spoil the fun, but when the passport of a traveler who does that is presented at the US border it will show that the person had entered Canada from a country that the US will not permit to enter and they will not be admitted to the US. Even though passports aren't always stamped these days there's an electronic record of the person's travel history and it will show they entered Canada from a restricted country.

When I went to a France from GB on the train a few years ago, they did not stamp my passport (or for that matter, fro US to Great Britian). Unless that changed not sure how they will know where in Europe you went.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only reason ireland is being banned is because the UK response was/is so rubbish. Ireland shut down schools, colleges and crèches, stopped all sports while UK has done none of that and left it to the individual sporting authorities to make their own decisions. Unfortunately we share a land border with them at Northern Ireland and the current leader in NI is refusing to consider Irish guidelines but rather is waiting for BJ to discover common sense. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:47 PM, ziggyuk said:

That is the best explanation and the best advice I have seen yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, retired714 said:

When I went to a France from GB on the train a few years ago, they did not stamp my passport (or for that matter, fro US to Great Britian). Unless that changed not sure how they will know where in Europe you went.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I said in my post they don't have to stamp your passport. There's an electronic record of your travel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Only reason ireland is being banned is because the UK response was/is so rubbish. Ireland shut down schools, colleges and crèches, stopped all sports while UK has done none of that and left it to the individual sporting authorities to make their own decisions. Unfortunately we share a land border with them at Northern Ireland and the current leader in NI is refusing to consider Irish guidelines but rather is waiting for BJ to discover common sense. 

Really, are you not an independent country, you believe your future is based on that of the UK.

Please...... what has the UK to do with Irish affairs, talk to your glorious leader.

If you want me to analyse why you have it wrong as a nation, this might help you understand why the Irish stance is simply wrong and acting too soon: https://*****.com/s7yvlrb

It's quite incredible you can't stand on your own two feet but choose to blame another country for your own internal issues.