Princess suspends all cruises for 60 days

cruisingrandy

1 hour ago, Kruznkat said:

Bluesea321, I got that email, but I don’t understand what they mean by the 225% Cruise Credit?  Could you give me an example?

Hi Kruznkat.  Others got here before me and I think "traveling.sisters" gave you the right answer.  You should get a total of 225% in FCCs.

My insurance was through Princess the standard plan to cancel for any reason with 75 per cent toward a FCC.  I stated that with the coronavirus threat that since my husband is older and immunocompromised I could not risk him cruising so I took the hit. We normally would always have gone unless there was a medical treatment change but our doctor was honest and said at the time there was no health indication for him not to travel while I am sure many people got their doctors to write a letter advising against as I am sure they would now!  Also since it was a Vista suite they if awarding 225 per cent cruise credit would now have to give me

$15,000 cruising credits they would be better off just refunding me my money. I guess they hope we will just never use it.

Edited by kkmiausa
Added info and spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

My insurance was through Princess the standard plan to cancel for any reason with 75 per cent toward a FCC.  I stated that with the coronavirus threat that since my husband is older and immunocompromised I could not risk him cruising so I took the hit. We normally would always have gone unless there was a medical treatment change but our doctor was honest and said at the time there was no health indication for him not to travel while I am sure many people got their doctors to write a letter advising against as I am sure they would now!  Also since it was a Vista suite they if awarding 225 per cent cruise critic would now have to give me

$15,000 cruising credits they would be better off just refunding me my money. I guess they hope we will just never use it.

Just read the FAQ at https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/voluntary-60-day-pause-of-global-ship-operations.pdf

You will get your answer there.

• Like 2

At any rate I am happy I made my decision to cancel. That cruise went out on February 25th and did not end until March 6th right in the midst of the coronavirus outbreaks on Diamond Princess. Now we find that 4 port workers tested positive for coronavirus at the Ft Lauderdale Princess cruise terminal my husband and I could easily have been exposed to them at the time they were infectious so our health was protected.  We dodged a bullet. It never occurred to me we could have gotten it at the terminal, was more worried about once on board with passengers who had flown in from all over the world and truthfully some of those people on the Crown Princess could turn up positive, we just don't know yet.  There can be at least a 14 day incubation period and we are well within those days now.

Edited by kkmiausa
spelling
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Armchair Cruiser said:

Just wondering.     How long did it take between completing/submitting your online questionnaire and receiving the email confirming receipt of it?

Instantly.. check your spam inbox .. thats where mine went 

gmail even flagged it as suspicious as it comes from an odd email address

noreply@qemailserver.com

• Thanks 1

We drove along Fort Lauderdale Beach and over the 17th Street Bridge on Monday and again earlier today (Wednesday).  Thousands of spring breakers were on the beach, thinking only about today and not tomorrow, go figure.  When we drove over the bridge on Monday, we saw the Regal Princess tied up and today, the Caribbean Princess tied up at dock #2.  It was rather eerie knowing that both ships were void of passengers and would not sail again with passengers until May.

Edited by tip

14 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Is this just Princess but all in the Carnival system?

So far only Princess. We will have to see in the days to come. I think they all need to pause. Hey everyone, let's go back to talking to our kids, playing board games and watching the 1000 channels of tv with nothing on. We can do this! We will survive until we can again cruise!

• Like 1

DCL is also stopped as well as WDW theme parks.  People can read info on Disney website.  Initial announcement was Disneyland only and now FL affected.  Universal Orlando also as I understand it from daughters.  They are coming to FL for several days while we are here and we were going to go up to WDW for new Star Wars section.  Cancelled that road trip and stay in SE FL now.  

Can RCL, HAL, etc, be far behind?

12 hours ago, ghstudio said:

The fine print on the earlier cancel and get an FCC, the small print said you must use it on one cruise.  I haven't seen any "fine print" on this one....so who knows?  We just took option 2 and at worst, we may have given up a 25% FCC (April cruise).  

The fine print:

6.Can I use my FCC to pay for more than one cruise?Yes. If the amount of your credit is greater than the cruise fare of your new booking, you can apply the remaining FCC balance on additional future bookings. You just need to use it before the expiration date of May 1, 2022.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

Refund for a canceled flight yes the refund would go to the cardholder.  But you asked about a FCC.  I doubt that would go to the cardholder/payer.  THAT is what I was addressing, which I thought is also what you were asking.

No, you read it wrong. I know that the FCC does not go back to the credit card. My concern was does Princess "split up" the reservation? or that "I the who paid for the cruise" does the fare go back to the credit card on file?

I all ready have the answer from another poster, that this has happened to them. 

10 minutes ago, CruiseBabys said:

No, you read it wrong. I know that the FCC does not go back to the credit card. My concern was does Princess "split up" the reservation? or that "I the who paid for the cruise" does the fare go back to the credit card on file?

I all ready have the answer from another poster, that this has happened to them. 

The Princess PDF document posted on their website clearly explains where cash refunds and FCC go.  It is best to refer people to that source document for answers.  Look up the announcement for the 60-day pause in operations.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

We have an Alaska cruise booked and paid for in July, sailing from San Francisco.  Should we be worried?  We bought the travel insurance, so wondering if we should be ducking out now while we could still get most of the money back.  I believe the amount you can recover goes down as time goes by right? 

45 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

We have an Alaska cruise booked and paid for in July, sailing from San Francisco.  Should we be worried?  We bought the travel insurance, so wondering if we should be ducking out now while we could still get most of the money back.  I believe the amount you can recover goes down as time goes by right? 

Depends.  Are you or anyone in your group “high risk “ according to CDC, U.S. State Department, NIH/Dr. Fauci?  (See their websites)

If your answer is no, you are good to go.

FCC should be the least of your concern.   Health is.  Risk versus reward.

Enjoy your cruise.  Safe travels.

Edited by Justalone

Depends.  Are you or anyone in your group “high risk “ according to CDC, U.S. State Department, NIH/Dr. Fauci?  (See their websites)

Well, I am 59 and my husband is 60.  Sounds like we are considered "elderly" in some circles LOL.  My husband has glaucoma; not sure if that is an "underlying condition" that they refer to?

Edited by Bridget2
Wanted to quote.

13 hours ago, remydiva said:

Instantly.. check your spam inbox .. thats where mine went 

gmail even flagged it as suspicious as it comes from an odd email address

noreply@qemailserver.com

Do check your spam inbox ....  In the past we've had things from Princess show up there.  

18 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

Well, I am 59 and my husband is 60.  Sounds like we are considered "elderly" in some circles LOL.  My husband has glaucoma; not sure if that is an "underlying condition" that they refer to?

15 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Check with your Dr. and see what he recommends.

Good luck, and safe travels. 

Edited by Justalone

Transport Minister Garneau announces cruise ships transporting over 500 people won't be able to stop in Canada until July 1.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau says overseas international flights coming into Canada will be restricted to a smaller number of Canadian airports. Details to come on which airports.

Edited by SouthAltaCruisingFamily
Forgot the date

2 hours ago, Bridget2 said:

Yes you are right ..more time ahead you cancel more money back 

but things are so fluid .. by July .. who knows .. hopefully turned around 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, MountainEER74 said:

Pooh, Have you received your credit card refund yet. I cancelled a cruise on Sunday and haven't seen anything yet.

Roger

Roger,

I cancelled right away Friday morning at around 8AM Mountain Time before the rush began.  So that might be a factor to consider.  But I saw my refunds on my credit card by 11AM the next day Saturday.  There was a $109 error to my excursions refund for some reason but I was waiting to call in later the end of the month to see why.  Checked my credit card today and saw that Princess had caught their mistake and credited the $109 on March 10th, 3 days later.  Either a person or the computer caught their error and corrected it.  I really am impressed with how Princess is handling this whole thing.  Now, I shop for groceries like a normal person and found out today that is wrong here in Colorado!!  Yep, guess I will have to use Kleenex for TP for awhile!  This is just ridiculous! Grin. I would be patient and give them 10 business days( I definitely would call around March 23rd if you haven't seen the credit on your card by then).

Pooh

On 3/12/2020 at 9:14 AM, MikeKl said:

I am in your exact same boat, there website reads this

In addition, Princess will honor this offer for those guests who had made final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4, 2020. The future cruise credit can be used on any voyage departing through May 1, 2022."

I am unsure how this will apply if we already received our refund and the FCC for our "cancellation fee".  

Well, as I said, I submitted a claim and now just will wait and see won't we?!!

Pooh

21 hours ago, CruiseBabys said:

Does anyone know*

I paid in full for our April 5th cruise. Our (fare only) is for myself $1390 my daughter $1390 and my 8yro Grandson $480. I'm going to take option 1, 100% with 175% FCC, so does that all go to the one who paid(Me) or does Princess split it? 

I don't know if my daughter can take off work, for another future cruise. 

I am not 100% sure, but when I got my FCC for cancelling, the booking, was in my name as primary(like you) but the FCC was specific to me and to my husband and non-transferable.  So I would think  most likely that any FCC you would get would be name specific to each of the three of you and non-transferable.  But go ahead and apply for it and then see what you can do.

Pooh

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SouthAltaCruisingFamily said:

Transport Minister Garneau announces cruise ships transporting over 500 people won't be able to stop in Canada until July 1.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau says overseas international flights coming into Canada will be restricted to a smaller number of Canadian airports. Details to come on which airports.

i wonder how this will affect the Alaska season?