Princess suspends all cruises for 60 days

cruisingrandy

2 hours ago, SouthAltaCruisingFamily said:

Transport Minister Garneau announces cruise ships transporting over 500 people won't be able to stop in Canada until July 1.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau says overseas international flights coming into Canada will be restricted to a smaller number of Canadian airports. Details to come on which airports.

It's every country for themselves and forget the WHO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bridget2 said:

Depends.  Are you or anyone in your group “high risk “ according to CDC, U.S. State Department, NIH/Dr. Fauci?  (See their websites)

Well, I am 59 and my husband is 60.  Sounds like we are considered "elderly" in some circles LOL.  My husband has glaucoma; not sure if that is an "underlying condition" that they refer to?

That's not good thinking there. High Risk has NOTHING to do with catching the virus, and everything to do with how you react if you do catch it. Infection risk is pretty much equal for all. Should you be exposed or catch the virus you will be quarantined. That period could be as long as 6 weeks if you have a very MILD case. Its not a question of risking exposure its a question if you are willing to risk a an extended vacation in military camp on a cot.

2 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I am not 100% sure, but when I got my FCC for cancelling, the booking, was in my name as primary(like you) but the FCC was specific to me and to my husband and non-transferable.  So I would think  most likely that any FCC you would get would be name specific to each of the three of you and non-transferable.  But go ahead and apply for it and then see what you can do.

Pooh

Pooh... THANK YOU! I appreciate you for such a nicely said answer!   I too did my cruise form and we will see. I also have been reading the Princess faqs, which somewhat helpful. 

2 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Roger,

I cancelled right away Friday morning at around 8AM Mountain Time before the rush began.  So that might be a factor to consider.  But I saw my refunds on my credit card by 11AM the next day Saturday.  There was a $109 error to my excursions refund for some reason but I was waiting to call in later the end of the month to see why.  Checked my credit card today and saw that Princess had caught their mistake and credited the $109 on March 10th, 3 days later.  Either a person or the computer caught their error and corrected it.  I really am impressed with how Princess is handling this whole thing.  Now, I shop for groceries like a normal person and found out today that is wrong here in Colorado!!  Yep, guess I will have to use Kleenex for TP for awhile!  This is just ridiculous! Grin. I would be patient and give them 10 business days( I definitely would call around March 23rd if you haven't seen the credit on your card by then).

Pooh

Pooh, Thanks for the response. I checked again today and the credit did show up dated on March 9. The amount included my cancelled airfare plus the portion of cruise fare minus the cancellation fee that will be given to me in fcc. I went ahead and completed the Princess cancellation form picking option 2 so I am hoping to get another credit for the remainder of the cruise fare. For our cruise date (April 25) the difference in fcc  between the two options was 25%  so it was take a chance of losing all our money if for some reason we couldn't take a cruise in the allotted time or lose 25% cruise credit.

Thanks again.

Roger

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The Princess PDF document posted on their website clearly explains where cash refunds and FCC go.  It is best to refer people to that source document for answers.  Look up the announcement for the 60-day pause in operations.

Got that.... thank you. 

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Is it true that people have retired and live on cruise ships? Maybe just an urban legend? If it's true, I wonder what happens to them?

Good questions. Yes it is true that some have retired on cruise ships. Below is one article (of many). 

And what happens to them now? Don't know, they may have to disembark and stay at hotels or apartments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debbikickham/2018/04/23/how-to-retire-on-a-luxury-cruise-ship/#71b7732413f5

13 minutes ago, HappyCamper49 said:

I watched the Caribbean Princess ship sail out of Port Everglades at 4:00pm, March 13, 2020.  What gives it sailings were canceled?

No reason to keep the ship in an expensive port if it is not picking up passengers.  Plenty of cheap places to anchor.

• Like 2

Well it's not just Princess any longer.  https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-bz-carnival-bars-travelers-over-70-20200313-qataayau7fbcblh7mc3wfardg4-story.html

Edited to add:  Not sure why the link says that - the story indicates that the big three cruise lines have suspended operations.

Edited by azbirdmom

11 hours ago, SouthAltaCruisingFamily said:

Transport Minister Garneau announces cruise ships transporting over 500 people won't be able to stop in Canada until July 1.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau says overseas international flights coming into Canada will be restricted to a smaller number of Canadian airports. Details to come on which airports.

The first date seems arbitrary and goes beyond current operational pauses.  They may be right or they may have selected a date too far out and then find out to pull it back will be too late as ships will have made other plans.  Of course, it is all a crap-shoot as no one knows exactly when the pandemic will calm down to the point of being able to resume normal life.

On the second one, this is typical of our government - make a pronouncement and no details.  We have to wait for that.  Outside of Montreal, Toronto and  Vancouver, there is going to be a very small minority of international flights.  How many less airports do they want?  And what about restrictions from "hotbed" countries where there are a lot of cases?  Is the USA going to be classified as "international" for these purposes?  US flights are treated more like domestic than true international and US flights are also going to take up the vast majority of "international" flights for most smaller airports outside of the big three I mentioned.  Is Canada really going to restrict flights to/from USA?  I highly doubt it given known circumstances today.  Meetings among top officials of both countries have been held about keeping border open.

Good evening all,

I have a few questions to ask and I did not see answers or maybe I missed it. 

1. If you booked EZAir, is Princess automatically refunding the charges to CC for those expenses?

2. It says that it can take up to 30 days for the FCC to show up on the account. Do you have to wait until the FCC shows up or can you book now and have it added later?

3. I know that there is not a definitive answer on this but if we do choose the refund in FCC instead of cash, how likely is it that Princess goes under and we lose our cruise fair?

4. What counts for the extra money? Just cruise fee? Cruise fee plus air if booked through Princess? Trying to figure out how much extra the 25% would be when comparing FCC to cash. The way I read it, since we were leaving on 4/5, we could get 175% or 150%. So by not taking cash, I would be collecting an extra 25% correct?

Thank you in advance. 

6 minutes ago, jbplussix said:

Good evening all,

I have a few questions to ask and I did not see answers or maybe I missed it. 

1. If you booked EZAir, is Princess automatically refunding the charges to CC for those expenses?

2. It says that it can take up to 30 days for the FCC to show up on the account. Do you have to wait until the FCC shows up or can you book now and have it added later?

3. I know that there is not a definitive answer on this but if we do choose the refund in FCC instead of cash, how likely is it that Princess goes under and we lose our cruise fair?

4. What counts for the extra money? Just cruise fee? Cruise fee plus air if booked through Princess? Trying to figure out how much extra the 25% would be when comparing FCC to cash. The way I read it, since we were leaving on 4/5, we could get 175% or 150%. So by not taking cash, I would be collecting an extra 25% correct?

Thank you in advance. 

This may answer some of your questions:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

that is a good question.  I believe if Princess cancels your cruise they will refund you the money;  since you didn't use your travel insurance you should be able to apply it to a future cruise.  My travel agent just did this for me.  He applied the travel insurance to another cruise we booked for Oct 2021

Our April cruise was obviously canceled.  There were 6 of us, me, wife 2 daughters, 2 granddaughters.  150% FCC which is split across the 6 of us.  I understand why that do that - it draws new cruisers in.  I paid for the whole darn thing, though, so it sort of  pisses me off.  Granddaughters will end up with FCC they may never use.  Wife and I may apply our excess to a future cruise but  I told her to buy jewelry.  Daughter's boyfriend, who couldn't go in April, want's to go in the replacement cruise in December.  Daughter may not be able to use her FCC for him so he may be out of pocket.  somehow that seems to be my problem.

15 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Our April cruise was obviously canceled.  There were 6 of us, me, wife 2 daughters, 2 granddaughters.  150% FCC which is split across the 6 of us.  I understand why that do that - it draws new cruisers in.  I paid for the whole darn thing, though, so it sort of  pisses me off.  Granddaughters will end up with FCC they may never use.  Wife and I may apply our excess to a future cruise but  I told her to buy jewelry.  Daughter's boyfriend, who couldn't go in April, want's to go in the replacement cruise in December.  Daughter may not be able to use her FCC for him so he may be out of pocket.  somehow that seems to be my problem.

There was an option to take a full refund and less FCC.  But I understand Princess' position.  The credit stays with the passenger, not who pays.  What if it stayed with the person who paid and that person can't travel?  Then others who could travel would be pissed off that it couldn't be used.  Guess it can't work both ways.

1 minute ago, frugaltravel said:

There was an option to take a full refund and less FCC.  But I understand Princess' position.  The credit stays with the passenger, not who pays.  What if it stayed with the person who paid and that person can't travel?  Then others who could travel would be pissed off that it couldn't be used.  Guess it can't work both ways.

More likely, and definitely in our case, the  others can't cruise.  They're our kids and grandkids and are only doing this on our dime.  I understand how and why Princess is doing things this way.  We'll configure the replacement cruise to make best use of the FCC since it really isn't likely we'll use any excess on another cruise.  But the kids really wanted to do this.  For one thing, wife and I are Celebrity people.

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

More likely, and definitely in our case, the  others can't cruise.  They're our kids and grandkids and are only doing this on our dime.  I understand how and why Princess is doing things this way.  We'll configure the replacement cruise to make best use of the FCC since it really isn't likely we'll use any excess on another cruise.  But the kids really wanted to do this.  For one thing, wife and I are Celebrity people.

A good reason to take a cash refund if it is an option.  Since that comes back to the original CC.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

A good reason to take a cash refund if it is an option.  Since that comes back to the original CC.

If it was only my decision I'd have done so and eaten the 25% FCC.  But 5 people that I love had a say in this so we'll do what we can going forward.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:24 PM, Steelers36 said:

The first date seems arbitrary and goes beyond current operational pauses.  They may be right or they may have selected a date too far out and then find out to pull it back will be too late as ships will have made other plans.  Of course, it is all a crap-shoot as no one knows exactly when the pandemic will calm down to the point of being able to resume normal life.

I agree with what you are saying.....it is hard to imagine any cruises happening at all this summer and probably a lot longer then that....we are just at the start of this crisis in the US and eventually the last thing that will be on people's mind is cruising....Survival will probably be at the top of the list for most people in the world......