Princess suspends all cruises for 60 days

cruisingrandy

10 hours ago, AF-1 said:

It is a sad time for the entire travel business; ships, planes, trains, its all bad

not just travel and not just people in travel related businesses … OHIO is basically shutting down all restaurants / bars to only delivery and pickup , no, or very few sports being played, entertainment venues closing , DISNEY shutting down speaks volumes

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 7:42 AM, voljeep said:

not just travel and not just people in travel related businesses … OHIO is basically shutting down all restaurants / bars to only delivery and pickup , no, or very few sports being played, entertainment venues closing , DISNEY shutting down speaks volumes

Hopefully the local restaurants will survive one thing they have in their favor is everyone is hoarding food. We made two trips to the supermarket last week and couldn't find meat or vegetables.  We decided to go back to subscribing to a home delivery meal plan 4 times a week.  We will do door-dash or take out for the other meals.  I'm done with the supermarket. It's just a waste of time at this point. I heard there are bars in Manhattan who deliver cocktails. It's a whole new world.

• Like 1

We opted for the 150% FCC for our cancellation and plan to rebook the same itinerary for December.  In the meantime my wife is trying to estimate the amount of FCC each of us will be due.  Does anyone have any insight as to how it will be calculated?  She has read that it will be as little as 150% of the basic fare and not included things like prepaid gratuities, drink packages, travel insurance. 

9 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

We opted for the 150% FCC for our cancellation and plan to rebook the same itinerary for December.  In the meantime my wife is trying to estimate the amount of FCC each of us will be due.  Does anyone have any insight as to how it will be calculated?  She has read that it will be as little as 150% of the basic fare and not included things like prepaid gratuities, drink packages, travel insurance. 

If you opted for 150% FCC then that is what you will get: 150% of the basic fare. Obviously not 150% of prepaid gratuities, drink packages and travel insurance. Taxes and other items paid for with the fare will be refunded to your CC.

Here is the Grand, just anchored in the middle of San Francisco bay. Did not notice her before, perhaps she moved here today? Is she moving around the bay as opposed to staying in one spot?

Evidently, the crew and a few foreign passengers are still on the ship and are stuck on board for about 12 more days--or 14 days since the ship left the Port of Oakland.

Sorry I did not get a better picture with my phone--but a look through my binoculars confirmed it is the Grand.

IMG_20200318_175518.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Where can they disembark?  Ports are closing all over the globe.  Hawaii just close.

Let me rephrase. Days ago when other passengers & almost all crew members (some with Covid 19) were disembarking as 75 medical personnel were boarding while the ship was still docked in Oakland, where were these passengers from that they did not disembark with the others? Airports in the Bay Area were still operational then

Edited by Ombud

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

where were these passengers from that they did not disembark with the others

hey @Ombud, I believe I might be able to help if this is what you were inquiring about. apologies if it does not answer the questions you have though.

So a Mercury News (cache version to avoid a possible paywall you might encounter) article here briefly explains why the six remaining foreign passengers are onboard. Following quote as stated:

"The six passengers, according to Newsom, remained because the U.S. government had difficulty coordinating with their home countries."

• Thanks 1

It is indeed unfortunate that 6 couldn't go home. I'm sure they'd rather quarantine there just like the crew that managed to leave. It's not all lounging on the beach like those fortunate to be at Princess Cay (who do deserve a break)

Oakland Mayor just announced that all first responders will be tested (city where Grand Princess disembarked)

Edited by Ombud

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

maybe time for Jan to take a break … ?

and who here believes realistically cruises will resume on May 11 

I for one do not. 
Ithe earliest I will cruise is end of Jan 2021

Edited by dog

I'm not optimistic about our May 25th TA and subsequent Med cruise from Miami to Barcelona on the Infinity, but hopeful we'll be able to go on our July 23rd Island Princess TA from Southampton back to NY. I'm also curious about our Oct 24th TP cruise from LA to Shanghai with 2 days currently scheduled for Beijing on the Grand Princess. It will be interesting to see if X and/or Princess change any of the existing ports of call on any of those cruises or cancels them all together. We really don't care as we just like to cruise and will simply put the 125% FCC if they're cancelled on the other future cruises we have booked, but it will be interesting to see how the next 6 months will evolve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm not optimistic about our May 25th TA and subsequent Med cruise from Miami to Barcelona on the Infinity, but hopeful we'll be able to go on our July 23rd Island Princess TA from Southampton back to NY. I'm also curious about our Oct 24th TP cruise from LA to Shanghai with 2 days currently scheduled for Beijing on the Grand Princess. It will be interesting to see if X and/or Princess change any of the existing ports of call on any of those cruises or cancels them all together. We really don't care as we just like to cruise and will simply put the 125% FCC if they're cancelled on the other future cruises we have booked, but it will be interesting to see how the next 6 months will evolve.

I don't think your May and July European cruises will go ahead and I don't think your October Asian cruise will either. ☹️

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think your May and July European cruises will go ahead and I don't think your October Asian cruise will either. ☹️

You're no fun! 😂 I agree with you though on the May cruise, but I think we'll be going on the other ones as I have faith this will all be in the rearview mirror in a few months. There is just too much riding on the resolution of this pandemic for it to drag on. But then again I'm an optimist.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

14 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

As people with a number of cruises booked for the August to December period, I’m guessing we might have to cancel these cruises. What is your bet on the date of the first main line cruise to sail? (Of course, no monetary wager) 

May 15th.

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No, no and no. If you have any booked for Q1 2021, those I would hold on to for awhile longer. We have cancelled everything we had booked, through early 2021. 

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

I for one don’t believe it. If they do resume you got to be crazy to go on a cruise now. That’s just my opinion. 
Tony

9 hours ago, voljeep said:

No way. It will be several months before cruises can start. We are very doubtful about one we have booked for late November. We will evaluate the situation before final payment date.

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

hopeful we'll be able to go on our July 23rd Island Princess TA from Southampton back to NY.

What "hope" involves (besides the ship actually cruising again):

a) Airlines flying again from USA to the UK

b) Ports on that itinerary allowing cruise ships again

• Like 1