Princess suspends all cruises for 60 days

cruisingrandy

31 minutes ago, CruiseBabys said:

Does anyone know*

I paid in full for our April 5th cruise. Our (fare only) is for myself $1390 my daughter $1390 and my 8yro Grandson $480. I'm going to take option 1, 100% with 175% FCC, so does that all go to the one who paid(Me) or does Princess split it? 

I don't know if my daughter can take off work, for another future cruise. 

If it is like almost all travel arrangements, the credit stays with the passeanger regardless of who paid.  You might be able to contact Princess when things slow down to ask for sure, or to ask for special dispensation.  Who knows for sure.

This was a very honorable and prudent move! This decision could actually end up saving them money in case of any further disasters that could have occurred. I really like the idea of a 60 day reset from the standpoint of germs and will feel safer about boarding late May (barring any further cancellations). If they do extend the time, they’ve demonstrated that they’ll take care of us financially, so I’m not worried. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frugaltravel said:

If it is like almost all travel arrangements, the credit stays with the passeanger regardless of who paid.  You might be able to contact Princess when things slow down to ask for sure, or to ask for special dispensation.  Who knows for sure.

this is something i think a lotta newbies dont know, i was a newbie, i paid for someones cruise and they couldnt go. we had the princess insurance and the credit went back to them, not me. if you are first timer u wouldnt probably know this. the other person signed a  form saying they didnt want the money and my princess TA got my my money back so i was happy. i gave her my next booking even though i'm sure 3rd party would have been cheaper. she earned my money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Agreed! I used Princess agent, they must be terribly busy right now. Got my cancellation email, but the form does not open... it said it would back up soon.  We just wait! 

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

this is something i think a lotta newbies dont know, i was a newbie, i paid for someones cruise and they couldnt go. we had the princess insurance and the credit went back to them, not me. if you are first timer u wouldnt probably know this. the other person signed a  form saying they didnt want the money and my princess TA got my my money back so i was happy. i gave her my next booking even though i'm sure 3rd party would have been cheaper. she earned my money.

I know the airlines refund the card holder.. I'm not new to that. Been on 6 Cruises, I've never had a Cruise cancelled on me. My Cruises are normally with my DH, but this time I wanted to take my Daughter and Grandson and they are sooo disappointed!!! 

2 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

so i'm curious. how do you prevent infected people from getting on a clean ship? 14 day quarantine before you board?

We are currently on a 7 day cruise on the X Equinox and they took my forehead temperature when we first entered the terminal. Unfortunately, I was wearing a baseball cap, which I was asked to take off right before entering the terminal. It took 3 times for my forehead temp to get down to normal as it had been hot outside the Ft Lauderdale terminal. If I had failed it a 3rd time, I would have had to go through additional medical screening. 

• Like 1

Here is the big question, does anyone think this virus will go away in 2 months?

Without a vaccine,  I doubt it. Thing to hope for is that warmer weather will make this crud go away like the regular flu. We were booked on the Regal for the 3/29 sailing and did the paperwork for the refund, no big deal if it takes awhile, Princess has to be overwhelmed.

Now we are waiting to see what the other cruise lines are going to do, we are booked on an early August cruise on the Celebrity Equinox.

With everything being shut down in the country I expect the other lines to follow Princess. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CruiseBabys said:

Option #1 Money paid + FCC bonus (the higher one)

I believe the correct explanation is that if you choose option 1, you get the total value shown in the option 1 column as an FCC.  You do NOT get your original cruise payment PLUS that FCC amount.

(note the comment that option 1 gives  you 25% more total of $'s and FCC if you select that option)

2 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I believe the correct explanation is that if you choose option 1, you get the total value shown in the option 1 column as an FCC.  You do NOT get your original cruise payment PLUS that FCC amount.

(note the comment that option 1 gives  you 25% more total of $'s and FCC if you select that option)

This is what I am confused about.  I thought that it said what you are stating.  Our sailing was April 18th so I figured we would get our fare back plus 50%.  When I sent it to my SO, he read it differently-that we would get our fare back plus 150% FCC.  I went to relook at the email and I can see why there would be that confusion.  Still not 100% sure which is correct.  

15 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

My problem is that my daughter is Military and her job deploys alot. I rather she goes, but it was hard enough to plan the one we were on.. Im so heartbroken!.  I will call my sweet Princess agent after this settled down. 

My DH and I were scheduled to be on the Sapphire in SE Asia. We were apprehensive but decided we would let Princess decide if we would go or not. We were cancelled. Got a full refund and with the Goodwill Credit, we booked a 7 day Mexico on the Royal for next week. And it wasn't going to be costing us anything. Hurray!  As things started to unfold (and unfold and unfold and unfold) we were once again determined to go but let Princess decide if we were going or not. They decided it was in our best interest to stay home and they are certainly right. This 'bug' thing is super serious and we all need to work to bring it under control and combat it. We have 2 cruises planned for next year so with our new credit maybe we'll fit something in in the fall. 

Yeah, Princess! We stand behind you and will remain loyal to you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

so i'm curious. how do you prevent infected people from getting on a clean ship? 14 day quarantine before you board?

How do you keep an infected person from a bus, or a taxi,  or a plane, office, or a subway car?  Out of the supermarket, out of your church, out of any place or even your home if friends stop by?  If a person doesn't know if they caught the virus they don't know they are infected. Stay away from public places and wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands and try not to  touch your face if you are concerned.   

• Like 1

Our daughter and granddaughter were just here as we researched what we wanted to do.  Rotten kids are coming up with alternative names for the virus.  Her favorite is "BOOMER REMOVER".  She gets close to the railing and it might be "GRANDDAUGHTER OVERBOARD!"  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, CruiseBabys said:

I know the airlines refund the card holder.. I'm not new to that. Been on 6 Cruises, I've never had a Cruise cancelled on me. My Cruises are normally with my DH, but this time I wanted to take my Daughter and Grandson and they are sooo disappointed!!! 

Refund for a canceled flight yes the refund would go to the cardholder.  But you asked about a FCC.  I doubt that would go to the cardholder/payer.  THAT is what I was addressing, which I thought is also what you were asking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TNTLAMB said:

other than the fact the industry represents 410,000 stateside jobs....

Not quite. The cruise lines employ about 10,000 workers directly.  The others are mostly service industry workers in hotels, dining, suppliers, etc.  Many of which are in tourist areas with or without the cruise industry.  So even though the CLIA likes to claim 300,000 jobs in southern Florida for example.  Most of those would still have jobs even if the cruise industry disappeared.

Even without a bailout the industry, most likely will not disappear, instead you will get a bk, that wipes out shareholders, gives the debt holders equity in return for forgiving or restructuring debt, maybe new ship cancellations, but with the customers not really impacted remaining whole.  In that case little impact to most of the jobs related, but not directly employed by the cruise industry.

17 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Refund for a canceled flight yes the refund would go to the cardholder.  But you asked about a FCC.  I doubt that would go to the cardholder/payer.  THAT is what I was addressing, which I thought is also what you were asking.

We experienced that split with a RCL cancellation.  FCC split across me, wife and daughter.  I thought it odd at the time but not now.  

• Like 1

Our May 6th Mexican Riviera cruise was affected by this.  I filled out the online form and within an hour we were booked on Sky Princess for 10 days in the southern Caribbean in December with better benefits and still $1,000+ in FCC after payment.  I've been wanting to return to the Caribbean for several years for more diving so all is well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Good question.  I imagine they each have a home port but if 4 ships use the same home port and it only has 2 piers for Princess.......

Looks like Regal, Sky,  Caribbean, Crown and Island Princess all have March departures originally planned for Port Everglades.  Regal should be at Princess Cay; Caribbean is still docked in Port Everglades, Sky is enroute to PE for a Saturday arrival and Island is Colon, Panama due in to PE 3/17.

6 minutes ago, Laurie S. said:

Our May 6th Mexican Riviera cruise was affected by this.  I filled out the online form and within an hour we were booked on Sky Princess for 10 days in the southern Caribbean in December with better benefits and still $1,000+ in FCC after payment.  I've been wanting to return to the Caribbean for several years for more diving so all is well.

Did they call you after you filed the form or did you just move on to a new booking and see the FCC as available?  Also, just you?  We cancelled 2 mini-suites with 3 each and I'm wondering what to expect.