IS THIS FAIR?

We are both over 70 and have medical conditions.  Our physicians told us not to cruise, so we cancelled our upcoming sailing.  Now our travel agency,(a big box one) who we have used many times in the past is charging us $100.00 as a cancellation fee.  Do you think this if right?   I don't.  I understand they are in business to make money, but going forward, this is not fair to the consumer. IMHO.

• Like 1

Were you aware of their cancellation policy when you booked with them? In any event, if it was a published policy, they are well within their rights. Would I ever book with them again? No way. And I would definitely mention this to them. Under the circumstances they might reconsider. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

We are both over 70 and have medical conditions.  Our physicians told us not to cruise, so we cancelled our upcoming sailing.  Now our travel agency,(a big box one) who we have used many times in the past is charging us $100.00 as a cancellation fee.  Do you think this if right?   I don't.  I understand they are in business to make money, but going forward, this is not fair to the consumer. IMHO.

It may not be illegal, but it's definitely not fair and with the current situation is morally wrong,  remember this when you come to make a future booking, maybe even call them for a quote and then walk away.

• Like 1

I would contact them and ask for a refund. Even if the cancellation fee was known at time of booking, you are in a situation where effectively you are being canceled upon. It wouldn't be smart business to burn you over this fee because I am sure you are not the only one.  Your TA's is being short sighted if they keep your money in this circumstance. 

• Like 2

My big box ta does not charge a cancellation fee.  Are you sure it is not from the non refundable deposit?  If you are sailing after July 31st normal policies are in effect.  If it is before then, they should not be charging you a fee. imho

Edited by irishgal432
  • Like 1

How far out is your cruise?

Do you have travel insurance?

When did you book the cruise?

Did they note the $100 cancellation fee at the time of booking?

There is a lack of details in your post, which makes it hard to determine if your TA is doing the right thing or not.

Kindly provide all the details so the rest of us can give an educated opinion.

• Like 2

Hi rucruisn2.

Sorry that you are in this frustrating situation. I also had once booked with a large, well known online agency and had to cancel within penalty period for a medical issue. I was also charged an agency cancellation fee that I didn't like having to pay, but was aware of when I booked.

Needless to say that was the last time that I used that company and now always make sure that I deal with an agency that has no agency cancellation fees or in my most recent booking a few months back, the agency agreed to waive the fee in order to keep my business.

Recommend that you have a look around to see who you can take your future business to! 

They did tell us when we first booked our cruise with them about the fee, but that should apply if we changed our mind, not under these circumstances.  They said it would be applied toward a future cruise,  are they now charging people to book a cruise with them?  I have sent them an email saying I don't think this is a good business policy and will hurt them in the long run.  And NO, if they do not reverse this charge I will NEVER use them again in the future.  We would not have cancelled our cruise if this virus had not come about.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

How far out is your cruise?

Do you have travel insurance?

When did you book the cruise?

Did they note the $100 cancellation fee at the time of booking?

There is a lack of details in your post, which makes it hard to determine if your TA is doing the right thing or not.

Kindly provide all the details so the rest of us can give an educated opinion.

Sorry, didn't answer all of your questions.

We booked the cruise 6 months ago.  Yes we have travel insurance, but the cruise line is refunding our money so we won't be filing a claim.

6 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

Sorry, didn't answer all of your questions.

We booked the cruise 6 months ago.  Yes we have travel insurance, but the cruise line is refunding our money so we won't be filing a claim.

That is really crappy as you were past final payment and the cruise line is protecting the agents commission on all cancelled booking and paying commission on the FCC.  For them to charge you a fee on top of this is just downright wrong.

Let them know that you know that they are still getting paid commission and also let Vicki Freed (VP sales) know about this.  This is not the way Royal wants agents treating customers in these difficult times.

You can find a link to Vicki here

https://loyaltoyoualways.com/

• Like 4

Fair??

That's a term I've not used since kindergarten.

Anyway, I see both sides. Costco was up front with the internal cancellation fee and you agreed to it. No where in the terms and conditions say they wouldn't charge it if it didn't seem fair.

From your standpoint I can see where the fee is a little harsh.

That being said, I would be filing a claim for the $100 on my travel insurance. If for no other reason than to annoy someone else as much as your annoyed. Kindergarten attitude in action 🤣

• Like 3

I know the TA I use (large and well-known) also charged me the cancellation fee that is customary.  Not thrilled (adds insult to injury since I lost a LOT of OBC by cancelling this particular cruise).  But, the high point is that during this mess, I found another TA that I will use in the future.  I'm counting the losses as a very expensive learning experience.  

1 minute ago, Frick_&_Frack said:

I know the TA I use (large and well-known) also charged me the cancellation fee that is customary.  Not thrilled (adds insult to injury since I lost a LOT of OBC by cancelling this particular cruise).  But, the high point is that during this mess, I found another TA that I will use in the future.  I'm counting the losses as a very expensive learning experience.  

Let Vicki Freed know.  TA's are earning full commission on all cancelled bookings and ethically should not be charging this fee.  It's a pure money grab.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Fair??

That's a term I've not used since kindergarten.

Anyway, I see both sides. Costco was up front with the internal cancellation fee and you agreed to it. No where in the terms and conditions say they wouldn't charge it if it didn't seem fair.

From your standpoint I can see where the fee is a little harsh.

That being said, I would be filing a claim for the $100 on my travel insurance. If for no other reason than to annoy someone else as much as your annoyed. Kindergarten attitude in action 🤣

I never said it was Costco,  it is not Costco and I cannot name the agency as it is against Cruise Critic policy.  

I don't think I am being a spoiled brat as you imply, I just don't think this is a good business policy moving forward and wanted other opinions.  Thank you for yours.

24 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

They did tell us when we first booked our cruise with them about the fee, but that should apply if we changed our mind, not under these circumstances.  They said it would be applied toward a future cruise,  are they now charging people to book a cruise with them?  I have sent them an email saying I don't think this is a good business policy and will hurt them in the long run.  And NO, if they do not reverse this charge I will NEVER use them again in the future.  We would not have cancelled our cruise if this virus had not come about.  

if you have insurance, you should be able to claim the $100 fee and get reimbursed for that loss through your travel Insurance, as a medical claim - your doctors advise you not to travel 

Edited by BSocial
Edit
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Let Vicki Freed know.  TA's are earning full commission on all cancelled bookings and ethically should not be charging this fee.  It's a pure money grab.

Thanks, Ken.  Usually I truly wouldn't kick a fuss, but (since you know some of what happened I think), I'm just a bit twisted with them right now (and they know it).  I have 3 other bookings there that, once the dust settles, I will try to move (as long as I don't lose the OBC on those too - really hurts a solo traveler).  Feel bad for poor Vicki though - she's probably about ready to cry.

• Like 1

Perhaps you booked with a nonrefundable deposit. In this case it is true that there is $100 charge. Sorry this happened to you but if you’re in your 70s with medical conditions you should not have booked with a nonrefundable deposit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rucruisn2 said:

Judge judy had a case like this.

Judy said the ta has to have their cancellation terms in writing, including a non refundable cancel fee.