Virgin Voyages Postponing Launch until July

NameThatFunnel

1 minute ago, garymfreedman said:

I got no notification from VV, just saw it on the home page. Like I said before, their communication with sailors is horrible..

Do they have your correct email address?

Hubby and I both received emails about the postponement at 12.06pm central time, we then received emails that the birthday bash cruise is still on at 12.58pm central time. Both of our email addresses are on our reservation. We haven't had any communication issues with them so far.

2 minutes ago, britincanada said:

Do they have your correct email address?

Hubby and I both received emails about the postponement at 12.06pm central time, we then received emails that the birthday bash cruise is still on at 12.58pm central time. Both of our email addresses are on our reservation. We haven't had any communication issues with them so far.

I guess they just don't like me. I have not gotten any emails from them from day one-other than I get promotional emails....And they have my email on file... And it is not going to spam.. Now to decide if I even want to cruise..

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

What will they do with the ship until July?

A little bird told me the ship might be going into a shipyard for some work.  That is not confirmed but it's from an industry friend that is in the know.  What work I have no idea?  Perhaps enlarging that pool, which I know would come as a huge disappointment to those that like it just the way it is.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

Virgin Voyages have emailed to say that the July 15th Richard's Birthday Bash cruise is still scheduled to happen - we are booked on it.

A comment by VV on their Facebook page does say that voyages from July 19th - Aug 7th are cancelled though.

Edited by britincanada
edited to add info

I just canceled my May 3rd voyage less than 48 hours ago and was told I could not get a refund, but I would get cruise credit (only 100%, not the 200% they're now promising). Can't seem to get through to them to ask if I will be able to get a refund after all, or if they will at least honor the 200%!

I tried the call-back option but it's been two hours without a response. Their online chat is down. Going back on hold now.

I will be very interested to see how this all works in reality.  And if there is any difference if final payment has already been made vs. if only the deposit has been paid.  I am not even going to attempt to call this week.  Might try late next week.  

I was scheduled for May 22 and was going on an NCL Cruise with my daughter this New Year's Eve.

I called, took the call back option and in 2 hours they called me.

With the 200% Offer, I am now on the New Year's Eve Cruise, got a $500 OBC, which I didn't have before since I booked on February 14, have added my daughter to the reservation and they owe me about $25. The Cruise is 7 days vs. the 5 original.

I will be getting the money I had paid for the Beverages and Shore Excursions back.

I am in the same exact cabin, a Cheeky Corner Suite.

I don't need to shell out any money to pay for the NCL Cruise, and will cancel by August so I will be getting my full deposit back.

Other than not having anything planned for Memorial Day anymore, I feel I made out REALLY Well!

If you do rebook, make sure you ask for the Cruise Protection. He credited it back to me but didn't add it onto the new reservation until I asked about it.

I called about an hour ago and hit 1 for a call back. I sat on hold for 2 hours 45 minutes yesterday, so maybe this will work. I put a hold on the cruise I want as someone else recommended, but if the 200% works like I think it does maybe I can get an XL just because. 

1 hour ago, scaught said:

I called about an hour ago and hit 1 for a call back. I sat on hold for 2 hours 45 minutes yesterday, so maybe this will work. I put a hold on the cruise I want as someone else recommended, but if the 200% works like I think it does maybe I can get an XL just because. 

My husband and I have very different interpretations of the 200% thing, so it will be interesting to hear how it works in practice.  We were scheduled to be on the cruise that is right before the new inaugural cruise, so we have not yet made final payment, so I don't know if the 200% is only on the paid portion or on the total fare for the cabin.  And can this money all be used on the new rescheduled cruise?  So many questions.  However, since there are so many others that are much closer to their sailing dates, I figured I would wait a week or so to call my TA.  

42 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

My husband and I have very different interpretations of the 200% thing, so it will be interesting to hear how it works in practice.  We were scheduled to be on the cruise that is right before the new inaugural cruise, so we have not yet made final payment, so I don't know if the 200% is only on the paid portion or on the total fare for the cabin.  And can this money all be used on the new rescheduled cruise?  So many questions.  However, since there are so many others that are much closer to their sailing dates, I figured I would wait a week or so to call my TA.  

The 200% works like this. When you book you probably got a receipt that shows two numbers:

TAXES & FEES : $####
VOYAGE FARE : $####

Taxes and fees get refunded to you. if you bought into the bar tab credit thing, the amount you paid gets refunded to you. 

The voyage fare is what the 200% is based on, so you have credit towards a cruise that is 2x your voyage fare. In my case, i picked the new year cruise so I had to add in a little extra beyond the 2x to cover it. If you pick a cruise that costs less, I'm not sure what happens. Their "on board credit while booking" deal increased at some point, so my balcony booking now includes $300 OBC where before it was only 200. 

It sounds like you are making payments and haven't paid in full yet.  I paid 100% for my cruise already, if I was on payment plan I"m not sure how all this would work. Guessing it doesn't change and it's based on the full voyage fare, just mentioning. I got a call back in almost exactly 2 hours, so give it a shot. 

Thanks for the explanation.  It makes sense, but I'm not sure how it works with us not being paid in full (we aren't making payments, we have made the deposit and final payment isn't for another couple of weeks).  I will call our TA eventually to find out exactly how it works.  

My example (close, but not entirely accurate).

Cruise fare is $2000.  Deposit paid is $400 leaving a $1600 balance that was set to be paid the beginning of April.  If we take the 200% deal, we would have $4000 in credit to move to another cruise, but still only have the $1600 balance?  What is the best guess? 

Edited by rebeccac

10 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

My example (close, but not entirely accurate).

Cruise fare is $2000.  Deposit paid is $400 leaving a $1600 balance that was set to be paid the beginning of April.  If we take the 200% deal, we would have $4000 in credit to move to another cruise, but still only have the $1600 balance?  What is the best guess? 

Well. Your current reservation is going to get cancelled. Your deposit will get refunded. I think at the end of the day you're going to pay the same amount as your existing Voyage Fare but get a new cruise that costs 2x that voyage fare. 

this page has the 200% language: https://www.virginvoyages.com/Web-Marketing/deals.html

I don't see anything there that excludes people who have only paid a deposit. They're trying to make things right with people who have to re-arrange their lives because the cruise line is canceling plans. You only making a deposit shouldn't change that IMO. If it did that would be bad for VV i would think. Interested to hear how it actually works out for you. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

It's interesting that the Atlantis gay charter cruise on May 31st is continuing. 

No it isn’t. Rich posted in the Facebook group for that cruise that it was cancelled. Email with options coming soon. 

1 hour ago, scaught said:

Well. Your current reservation is going to get cancelled. Your deposit will get refunded. I think at the end of the day you're going to pay the same amount as your existing Voyage Fare but get a new cruise that costs 2x that voyage fare. 

this page has the 200% language: https://www.virginvoyages.com/Web-Marketing/deals.html

I don't see anything there that excludes people who have only paid a deposit. They're trying to make things right with people who have to re-arrange their lives because the cruise line is canceling plans. You only making a deposit shouldn't change that IMO. If it did that would be bad for VV i would think. Interested to hear how it actually works out for you. Good luck! 

I have read the 200% language and it still is unclear to me how it works if not paid in full.  The way I read it, I either take the 200% deal or I get a refund along with a 25% credit.  I do not get automatically refunded until I let them know which option I want to take.  It seems fairly cut and dried if you are paid in full.  Less so, it you are not.  

Even though this situation is pushing what would have been my May cruise out a few more months, I found a sailing in September, and with my 200%, I'll be moving from a solo inside cabin to a mid ship balcony...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BayStBoi said:

No it isn’t. Rich posted in the Facebook group for that cruise that it was cancelled. Email with options coming soon.

I'm not on that sailing but good to know. I had gone to their Atlantis' website and there was no mention of the cancellation,in fact the message was just the opposite.

Those who have had their cruise cancelled but only so far paid the deposit, were you offered the 200% future credit or just a refund of monies paid? We are due to go late August and balance not due till May but wondering if we should pay balance off early to get better cancellation options should this situation last longer than anticipated. Any thoughts or experiences to share? 

On 3/12/2020 at 1:18 PM, grouchomarx said:

What will they do with the ship until July?

The Virgin Scarlet Lady is just coming into Miami now. She shows her destination for departure as the Bimini Sands Resort and Marina. 

We are booked on the Bday Bash cruise.  I got the email that it is still on but I don’t understand why.  If they have cancelled

the ones before and after for one would assume a good reason, other than it being his bday why is this one going out?  Is it

because it is more than twice as expensive as the other cruises?  I think I would to cancel and reschedule for

another date but am told the offers they’re  giving won’t be applied and I can’t since that cruise is not being affected.  Just a little confused about their policies!

11 minutes ago, Bxmt54 said:

We are booked on the Bday Bash cruise.  I got the email that it is still on but I don’t understand why.  If they have cancelled

the ones before and after for one would assume a good reason, other than it being his bday why is this one going out?  Is it

because it is more than twice as expensive as the other cruises?  I think I would to cancel and reschedule for

another date but am told the offers they’re  giving won’t be applied and I can’t since that cruise is not being affected.  Just a little confused about their policies!

I'm on this one too and am a little miffed.  I booked this one, a. because it was special, and b. because they theoretically should have had most of the kinks worked out by then.  I feel like this is now going be a really freaking expensive "sneak a peek" voyage that costs $1k more than the same room on the new maiden voyage and is one night shorter to boot.