Southern Caribbean Dive Shop Recommendations

Laurie S.

It's been about seven years since I've dived in the Caribbean.  Today, our May 6th Mexican Riviera cruise was cancelled by Princess and we immediately picked up a 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise instead.  We'll be diving at St. Thomas, Dominica, Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, and Princess Cays.  I've already contacted the one shop near Princess Cays, but need to make arrangements for the other ports.  I'm an underwater photographer with a specialty in macro so I'm not particularly interested in shark dives, especially when they are being fed.  I dived twice with Blue Island Divers in St. Thomas, but a hurricane took them out.  Also, I'm a PADI Assistant Instructor with more than 600 dives, and my buddy has more than 400 dives, so we want advanced dives.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Laurie,

I don't have anything really current for St. Thomas.  I've dove there before with AquaMarine St. Thomas.  They are a little ways away from the port, and dive reefs, rather than the wrecks.

Dominica has great diving, but many operators went out of business after the hurricane a few years ago.  The one I've used since was quite good.  They are Nature Island Divers ( http://natureislanddive.dm/ ). They provided port pick-up and return.  They are about 25 minutes from the port.  You should find the sites fit your desires quite well.  When I dove with them, communincation in advance was spotty at best.  They were still having troubles port-hurricane.  However, They did follow through with great service. 

In Aruba I dive with Jeffrey Kost at Happy Divers Aruba ( https://happydiversaruba.com/) .  He shares your photography passion.  He can be slow to respond to emails, but he will follow up. 

In Bonaire, I always dive with VIP Diving.  The level of service is second to none.  You meet with your guide, and select sites based on what you want to see.  You go wherever on the island you want, and things are never rushed.  Their price includes nitrox.  ( https://vipdiving.com/

Grenada is fantastic diving.  The sea life is really healthy.  You'll have a great day if you book with ScubaTech Grenada.  Evelin Verdier the owner, is a world renowned instructor.  ( https://www.scubatech-grenada.com/). They usually pick you up, in the boat, close to the pier.  However, the instruction for getting there can be confusing.  Feel free to send me an email, using the link below.

Harris

Denver, CO

1 hour ago, Laurie S. said:

Made contact with all of them and we're all set for diving!  Thanks, again!

Laurie,

That's great.  Did Eveline say their boat will meet you in front of the "National Library"?  If so the instructions aren't as clear as they could be, since the library is no longer operational.  Feel free to email me using the link below, and I can clarify perhaps.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 3 weeks later...

I second VIP Diving in Bonaire.  My sister and I are both PADI certified and we dove with them on our 3/2/20 stop in Bonaire when we were sailing with Crown Princess.  It was just the two of us and one other guy from our ship.  They met us just outside the pier exit, drove us to their shop to outfit us and then drove us to the dive site.  Many of the dive sites in Bonaire are shore dives.  It was spectacular diving since the island has been practicing reef conservation since the early '70s.  

Edited by SeaThruU
added text
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...