Why isn't NCL cancelling due to coronavirus? Other cruise lines are.

sailthesea

It is in fact a cold. Sorry to break it to you. 

Now it’s one with a high mortality rate in the chronically ill admittedly. but those numbers will get better too as we learn what’s working and what isn’t.  This isn’t gonna be static Elwood. 

little reading for you. 

https://www.jwatch.org/fw116437/2020/03/10/covid-19-can-look-common-cold-researchers-say?query=pfw&jwd=000012143608&jspc=

• Like 1

Honestly their attitude through this has been horrific. High pressure tactics and bad attitude. Harry was replying to emails himself on Saturday, refusing cancellation / refunds directly. They are making customers so uncomfortable that folks are willing to say screw it, lose money, and have no interest in EVER cruising on Norwegian. I know of docs that had mass exposure incidents at their hospitals and NCL could give two shits. It's multidimensional: docs could catch it on ship, get quarantined / stuck on ship, not know they got it and pass it on to patients or miss work and the ability to serve their patients. Now some hospitals are highly discouraging travel, saying if you travel you can't come back and you will not be paid, because they know the risks of passing it to someone else outweigh the need for manpower (but that might change). Proper response from NCL would have been : our thoughts are with you during these times , we don't want you to feel uncomfortable, thank you for your service helping patients, here is a refund, we hope you consider us in the future. What a sour taste NCL has left. Their $9 share price may partly be representative of the negative sentiment as a result of their handling the crisis and the leaked high pressure tactic emails.

Edited by mysteryz
  • Like 4

The NCL customer service was instructed to tell passengers "everything is fine" so that customers would keep or book a cruise, also that the "warm environment will kill the virus" etc.  A whistle blower customer service  employee in Florida, showed the emails to the press and now leadership is trying to retaliate against this honest employee.  

As far as closures I'm sure NCL and RCL will push their limits however it may get to the point the State/Gov't may shut them down temporarily.

Companies as large as these should look at how Disney and other large companies are shutting down for the "safety and well being of its employees and customers" instead of just looking at $$.  But hey that is big business for ya.

Edited by penutbutterjelly

6 minutes ago, penutbutterjelly said:

The customer service was instructed to tell passengers "everything is fine" so that they would keep or book a cruise, also that the "warm environment will kill the virus" etc.  A whistle blower customer service showed the emails to the press and now leadership is trying to retaliate against this honest employee.  

As far as closures I'm sure NCL and RCL will push their limits however it may get to the point the State/Gov't may shut them down temporarily.

Companies as large as these should look at how Disney and other large companies are shutting down for the "safety and well being of its employees and customers" instead of just looking at $$.  But hey that is big business for ya.

You can definitely see their desparation... And I got to see Harry's email responses evolve... They appear to be worried about the money and they probably do have a valid concern... Had they been better prepared and able to handle a crisis, it may not have hurt them so much.

I loved the fact that they posted a few days ago that they were offering "full refunds" but that was a lie as it was only credits. I am going to guess they either did break some laws or came awfully close in their deception. That simple act if saying " full refunds" but really only offering credits, speaks volumes about the company: can't be trusted! Money is more important to them than customer well-being.

Edited by mysteryz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mysteryz said:

You can definitely see their desparation... And I got to see Harry's email responses evolve... They appear to be worried about the money and they probably do have a valid concern... Had they been better prepared and able to handle a crisis, it may not have hurt them so much.

I loved the fact that they posted a few days ago that they were offering "full refunds" but that was a lie as it was only credits. I am going to guess they either did break some laws or came awfully close in their deception. That simple act if saying " full refunds" but really only offering credits, speaks volumes about the company: can't be trusted! Money is more important to them than customer well-being.

This is my worry with the FCC vs Refunds.  Many are aware that NCL took a "large loan" when this crisis started.  Whose to say they won't just file bankruptcy and screw us all?  Nothing.  JMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, penutbutterjelly said:

This is my worry with the FCC vs Refunds.  Many are aware that NCL took a "large loan" when this crisis started.  Whose to say they won't just file bankruptcy and screw us all?  Nothing.  JMO

I do think they goofed on that and that may allow many to file complaints and law suits and succeed against them. Who is best to file complaints with? State attorney general? Fcc? Ftc? All the above?

Edited by mysteryz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Sometimes it's just a good idea to step away from the keyboard for a bit.

This is a lil rude. Here's why.

@elwood_98034 reaction also shows the mental toll that medicine takes onto health care workers during times of pandemics.

This is called secondary trauma.

When you read about physician burn out, physician suicide, and about us "rich" doctors complaining about our salary, this is a good glimpse into what we deal with on a daily basis. We have MAJOR cuts to the nih and our health care system, yet the public and Trump expect our colleagues to produce cures to the corona virus in a jiffy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, penutbutterjelly said:

This is my worry with the FCC vs Refunds. 

Same here.

I read somewhere on the internet (FWIW) that a bailout is being discussed. If so, I suspect that they're still bargaining on the exact terms before making large operational changes.

But, as Abe Lincoln said, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. 🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, caterpa said:

By the time this is over there will be less than 100k dead. Serious to be sure but not a lot worse than the yearly flu.   Just an educated guess but I have a feeling this is massively overdone.   

Please post your education credentials enabling this 'educated guess'... 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mysteryz said:

I loved the fact that they posted a few days ago that they were offering "full refunds" but that was a lie as it was only credits.

I am not defending their intransigence right now, but that is not true....they said it would be a full refund in the form of a FCC.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

US population 327.2 million (2018)

Infection rate per Merkel 60%+

Fatality rate WHO v's Italy = 5% (est)

330,000,000x0.6x.05= 9,900,000

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Nope...they just repeated the error they made in the first post. If the first sentence in the second post was written "20 million deaths is 7% of roughly 285 million people" rather than ".7% of roughly 285 million people" it would be absolutely correct. And again, 7% is the approximate current death rate in Italy.

@elwood_98034 already admitted that he made a minor mistake in calculation. Cut him some slack. Physicians aren't the greatest at math. That's why the stereotype of so many of us going into financial ruin is so prevalent and kind of founded.

But in his defense, the statistics are skewed. We can discuss about how the denominator doesn't reflect the true amount of total infected or how the numerator isn't truly capturing all deaths and etc.

And @njhorseman, I am a physician who does research and sees patients. If you want to dig into the nitty gritty, there is one big bias that we are all making. There is an issue of generalizability. The population around the world looks very different than the population we have in the states in regard to obesity, diabetes, etc. So our mortality rate may actually be higher. Who knows?

Working in medicine is a calling. And I admire my colleagues who have high risk conditions who go into work everyday to care for patients. I am a young doctor, so my chances of dying are low (if you believe the statistics, lol!).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I am not defending their intransigence right now, but that is not true....they said it would be a full refund in the form of a FCC.

In some locales, one can't state in big bold words "full refunds" then put an asterisk and smaller font " credit". It's false advertising / deceptive. A credit is NOT a refund.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BillDz said:

Same here.

I read somewhere on the internet (FWIW) that a bailout is being discussed. If so, I suspect that they're still bargaining on the exact terms before making large operational changes.

But, as Abe Lincoln said, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. 🙂

Screw bailouts. Screw helping big companies. They should have had contingencies for this. Rewaeding their poor planning is disgusting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mysteryz said:

In some locales, one can't state in big bold words "full refunds" then put an asterisk and smaller font " credit". It's false advertising / deceptive. A credit is NOT a refund.

Following is a copy and paste directly from the NCL website! 😏

100% Cruise Credit

You will receive a 100% future cruise credit for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022.

Has anyone else tried to look out at what their FCC can get them? Or am I the only one— so far what I’ve found is two cruises later this year I have leave for are 200% what I paid for the same category.  Or same cruise same time next year is 140% what I paid same category.  Maybe I’m the only one who is in this predicament or has no one else looked ahead yet?

I also looked for ANY 7 day cruise same class of ship next summer and best I could do is 140% what I paid originally.

Example, say I paid 2000$ now the same cruise later is 2800$ to use my FCC on- basically I’m covering part of the next cruise too!

Im wondering if my situation is unique or if I’m the only one who has gotten that far into planning...

Edited by big sepe

Carnival is now requiring a "fit to sail" letter from physician for passengers 70 years old and over. Boarding will be denied if you don't have it.

Edited by rjruby
removed dates

45 minutes ago, mysteryz said:

Screw bailouts. Screw helping big companies. They should have had contingencies for this. Rewaeding their poor planning is disgusting.

You think every business should have funds on hand to be completely shut down for a period of months?

15 minutes ago, big sepe said:

Has anyone else tried to look out at what their FCC can get them? Or am I the only one— so far what I’ve found is two cruises later this year I have leave for are 200% what I paid for the same category.  Or same cruise same time next year is 140% what I paid same category.  Maybe I’m the only one who is in this predicament or has no one else looked ahead yet?

I also looked for ANY 7 day cruise same class of ship next summer and best I could do is 140% what I paid originally.

Example, say I paid 2000$ now the same cruise later is 2800$ to use my FCC on- basically I’m covering part of the next cruise too!

Im wondering if my situation is unique or if I’m the only one who has gotten that far into planning...

They raised prices for every sailing the day before the new cancellation policy went into effect. Presumably, this was to prevent people from using the cancellation policy to simply cancel and rebook to try to get a better deal. Pricing will level back out to what the market will bear once we get past this original round of cancellations (assuming NCL lasts that long), so hang tight to your FCC and book once prices settle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Following is a copy and paste directly from the NCL website! 😏

100% Cruise Credit

You will receive a 100% future cruise credit for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022.

The letter from Harry Sommer, CEO of NCL dated March 7 said:

"Anyone choosing to cancel will receive a full refund in the form of a future cruise credit . . . "

So he's calling it a refund while actually offering a credit. He's lying.

This is the worst possible time for a CEO to be intentionally lying to the public. It's very troubling.

CORONAVIRUS LETTER.pdf

2 minutes ago, BillDz said:

The letter from Harry Sommer, CEO of NCL dated March 7 said:

"Anyone choosing to cancel will receive a full refund in the form of a future cruise credit . . . "

So he's calling it a refund while actually offering a credit. He's lying.

This is the worst possible time for a CEO to be intentionally lying to the public. It's very troubling.

CORONAVIRUS LETTER.pdf 78.73 kB · 0 downloads

Nowhere is a "refund" defined as being cash. That's why we have the phrase "cash refund". If all refunds were cash, that phrase would be redundant... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Nowhere is a "refund" defined as being cash. That's why we have the phrase "cash refund". If all refunds were cash, that phrase would be redundant... 

No, actually, that's both the legal and dictionary definition of a refund. Otherwise it's called an exchange. The phrase "cash refund" is, in fact, redundant.