Why isn't NCL cancelling due to coronavirus? Other cruise lines are.

sailthesea

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Merkel's 60% is at the extreme top end of the potential, and I won't accept even anything as high as the WHO's 3.4% because that's the current measurement when only a fraction of the actual infections are being detected due to inadequate availability of testing. That's not  me interpreting Merkel and the WHO, it's more in depth analysis of the number by experts in epidemics.

Try doing some research rather than reading sensationalistic headlines.

In Ohio, there are 5 confirmed cases of COVID-19.  The director of Ohio Dept of Health said she estimated 100,000 ohioans already have it.  If 100,000 ohioans have it, there's NO WAY a 3.4% morbidity rate exists.  It would be much closer to the flu rate.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

In Ohio, there are 5 confirmed cases of COVID-19.  The director of Ohio Dept of Health said she estimated 100,000 ohioans already have it.  If 100,000 ohioans have it, there's NO WAY a 3.4% morbidity rate exists.  It would be much closer to the flu rate.

all we have is information thrown around that is guesses and not accurate or later proven to be incorrect

if the US wasnt ignoring testing folks, we'd have better data

apparently there are TWO strains, very little info about whats actually spreading around the USA

just the other day, a paper was published saying this thing is airborne and can float around in the air for three hours on average...

take anything with a grain of salt

Edited by mysteryz

6 minutes ago, mysteryz said:

all we have is information thrown around that is guesses and not accurate or later proven to be incorrect

if the US wasnt ignoring testing folks, we'd have better data

apparently there are TWO strains, very little info about whats actually spreading around the USA

just the other day, a paper was published saying this thing is airborne and can float around in the air for three hours on average...

take anything with a grain of salt

Yes and a doctor on a major news organization said the 3 hours in the air was put there to scare people.  It can be airborne for 3 hours but is not infectious for nearly that amount of time in the air.  Bottom line is we will never know the number that contract this virus.

Edited by buckeyefrank

18 hours ago, sailthesea said:

I shudder to think of all the passengers returning, not doing self-quarantine, and passing it on to vulnerable populations. People are DYING because of this. It's not the time to go on a cheap cruise.

mortality rate is 1%

mass media creates mass hysteria. 

you have a greater risk of dying from the flu. 
the paranoia is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lambs2 said:

I am at the Magic Kingdom at Disney World today, 3/13. Last day of our extended family vacation. Lots of hand washing going on and no rail touching for our gang. Will we regret this week? As the saying goes: ‘we regretThe things we don’t do more than the things we do.’

This is not about an individual’s vacation. It’s not about you or anyone here in particular getting or not getting COVID19. It’s about flattening the curve so that we protect the elderly and immunocompromised. It’s about ensuring hospitals do not get overwhelmed with a surge in needs for ICU beds and ventilators. It’s about trickling the cases coming in, so that our healthcare workers do not have to make the kinds of decisions healthcare workers in Italy are making: who gets the last ventilator, who gets the last bed in the ICU. 

I think Disney has done the right thing by closing all of its parks and its cruise line. It helps flatten the curve is we don’t have 4,000 people in closed quarters. Will NCL put people ahead of profits? We’ll see.

Edited by vinotinto
  • Like 4

Have you not been watching the news? You’re probably safer on a cruise ship than on land at this point. There’s no more cruise ship cases on the news, while it’s spreading like wildfire on land, with state of emergencies, closures, and even whole-town quarantines. Probably because sanitizing is better controlled and cleaning more diligent on the ship. I will feel safer on the ship Sunday than I feel in NYC today pre-cruise.

Just now, GlamorousGirl said:

Have you not been watching the news? You’re probably safer on a cruise ship than on land at this point. There’s no more cruise ship cases on the news, while it’s spreading like wildfire on land, with state of emergencies, closures, and even whole-town quarantines. Probably because sanitizing is better controlled and cleaning more diligent on the ship. I will feel safer on the ship Sunday than I feel in NYC today pre-cruise.

I'm not worried about getting the virus either.  50% of the people on the Princess cruise that got the virus had no symptoms.  That's great, but also the problem.  It's not about you and me.  You can unwillingly transmit this to people without even knowing you have it.

Now a lot of companies (mine included) are making people wait 14 days to return to work if they've been out of the country.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sailthesea said:

Do those of you who are cruising plan to quarantine yourselves after the cruise, before returning to work and community? Disneyland is closing, Viking and Princess have canceled cruises, sporting events are being cancelled - and you think *yay!* great time for a cruise? That's just being stupid and selfish, people.

Yes - I plan on self- quarantining to protect myself from all the COVID-19 carriers ON LAND, where, according to the news, all the cases are now!

17 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

I am not taking a plane, going to the movies, riding on buses, and when I got to the store I am extremely careful, and practicing almost the same infection control measures that I do at work. 

Are we existing in different realities?

Riding public transportation is a reality for many people.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Noworkforme23 said:

mortality rate is 1%

facts:

we dont know the true mortality rate

we dont know how many cases

we dont know how many recoveries

we dont know how many severe cases

we don't know how many that are recovering are ending up with major complications/internal organ damage

recovery can be long... and painful.... some reports say 32 days on average, if you get the bad strain

its very easily transmissible, virus seems to live longer than flu virus on surfaces, in air/droplets/whatever

hospitals are overwhelmed and under-prepared (just look at other countries, saying that basically arent treating anyone over a certain age, even if they are dying and could possibly be saved, they had to make that tough decision)

and, relevant to this thread, cruise lines should have had crisis plans in-place and been able to handle this much better than they did

also, i beg to differ that "you have a greater risk of dying from the flu" - I would love to see how you came up with that calculation.

Edited by mysteryz
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

did you read about the cruise ship with over 700 confirmed cases? that likely started from one person? 

did you read the article that its been found in HVAC systems? it could even spread through flushing the toilet?

are you able to take the risk that if any of the 3,000 possible other passengers have flu-like symptoms, the boat may not be able to go into a port, and you may be stuck aboard?

this thing is probably already everywhere and we are going to start seeing cases explode in the next week or two, if its everywhere, it will spread through cruise ships with lightening speed. we just dont have a lot of good information at the moment. we (USA) really dropped the ball on this. we could have had better prevention methods in-place, ramped up certain things, shut down borders, etc.

• Like 1

Officials in Maryland, Michigan, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon and the District of Columbia have announced that schools in their states will be closed for several weeks amid concerns about the coronavirus. The statewide closures come after many school districts and dozens of colleges and universities have temporarily closed because of the COVID-19 disease.

Michigan is closed  till 4/6/20

1 minute ago, GettotheSun said:

This was an exhausting thread to read.  Based on some of the emotion of some posters...I'm really clear why I can't buy a damn roll of toilet paper anywhere!

Thanks for that comic relief.  Agree...very exhausting.  Think I'll step away from the madness for a bit.

PS.  I heard Amazon still has TP and they will deliver ☺️.

• Like 2

It's time...NCL, Carnival, Royal, MSC, whatever other cruise line company hasn't already done so....it's time to call it a wrap and suspend all cruises for X amount of time.

We can (and have) argued about how serious this virus is.  About the true number of cases, deaths and recoveries.  About the media blowing it out of proportion vs. not taking it serious enough.  About FCC vs. refund.  And can argue about a million other "what if's".  

Bottom line...none of us posting our thoughts and feeling here mean $ hit.  This is a snowball rolling down the Alps that has grown to the size of a meteor traveling at light speed.  

There is no stopping it at this point.  The NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS and NCAA all closed.  All Catholic schools in NY state are closing.  ALL schools in other states are closing.  The Stock Market enacted the "pause so you don't jump out the window" button this week...twice! You can't wipe your a$$ unless you buy a newspaper.  And purell or hand sanitizer, the things every infectious organization in the world is advising to be the most important thing right now...only available if you're willing to spend $80 for a travel size bottle on Amazon, and it won't arrive until May.  

It's over folks.  Cruises are just not that important on the grand scheme of things.  Whether or not this is legit End of the World, or just some overblown Y2K hysteria...it's here, and it's not leaving anytime soon.  Just shut down the cruise industry and we'll reconvene in May.  

Edited by MrMike45
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Noworkforme23 said:

mortality rate is 1%

No you don't have greater risk from the flu. Stop spreading misinformation or people will die. The flu has a mortality rate of less than 0.1% so even your 1% number indicates that it is at least 10x more deadly (not to mention more contagious). 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Officials in Maryland, Michigan, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon and the District of Columbia have announced that schools in their states will be closed for several weeks amid concerns about the coronavirus. The statewide closures come after many school districts and dozens of colleges and universities have temporarily closed because of the COVID-19 disease.

Michigan is closed  till 4/6/20

16 minutes ago, Timmay77 said:

I am in Ohio, I can confirm that school is canceled for the next 3 weeks. They also said 3 weeks FOR NOW. They will contact us if it is extended........

8 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

It's time...NCL, Carnival, Royal, MSC, whatever other cruise line company hasn't already done so....it's time to call it a wrap and suspend all cruises for X amount of time.

We can (and have) argued about how serious this virus is.  About the true number of cases, deaths and recoveries.  About the media blowing it out of proportion vs. not taking it serious enough.  About FCC vs. refund.  And can argue about a million other "what if's".  

Bottom line...none of us posting our thoughts and feeling here mean $ hit.  This is a snowball rolling down the Alps that has grown to the size of a meteor traveling at light speed.  

There is no stopping it at this point.  The NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS and NCAA all closed.  All Catholic schools in NY state are closing.  ALL schools in other states are closing.  The Stock Market enacted the "pause so you don't jump out the window" button this week...twice! You can't wipe your a$$ unless you buy a newspaper.  And purell or hand sanitizer, the things every infectious organization in the world is advising to be the most important thing right now...only available if you're willing to spend $80 for a travel size bottle on Amazon, and it won't arrive until May.  

It's over folks.  Cruises are just not that important on the grand scheme of things.  Whether or not this is legit End of the World, or just some overblown Y2K hysteria...it's here, and it's not leaving anytime soon.  Just shut down the cruise industry and we'll reconvene in May.  

Exactly. One of my kids' schools is closed until April 12th, the other one is closed indefinitely. They are not closing the schools because they think they are not in tip-top clean shape, or because they think the kids are going to get it. They are closing it to comply with community best practices to flatten the curve.

The best graphs I have seen about the topic are these ones:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/12/21172040/coronavirus-covid-19-virus-charts

• Like 2

16 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

This is real life. No disinformation. No fake news. I work with another younger guy. He has a girlfriend with two kids at home, 13 and 15. I have a wife and two older kids, 13 and 20. When we get a suspect COVID-19 patient one of us will suit up, and leave the other one outside. We say, 'I will be dirty, you be clean.' It is our agreement. He has younger kids, and if it is a bad one I will usually take it because I am older. Both of our SO's are very senior RN's, and not front line ER like us. They know the deal. Our life insurance and Wills are all sorted out. My wife has said that the chance of me surviving it is zero due to a couple of health problems. She has already checked out my life insurance situation. It's cool. I'm resigned to it. 

I respect the job you do and the situation you are in. However, you are such an extremist it's hard to your posts seriously... There is a zero percent chance of you catching this virus and living. Good grief, even people over 80 have a 80-90% chance of living. All of the co-morbidity rates I've seen still have an 80-90% chance of survival. And you and your friend both feel like you WILL die if you catch this virus and are treating it as life and death?? Come on.  I am willing to admit that I did not initially take this virus seriously and I"m taking it more seriously now; but posts like this make a mockery out of a serious situation by exaggeration. 

• Like 1

Wow. So many people on this forum mention media hysteria - but the comments made here show a far higher level of hysteria - already turning to anger.

Many of the comments seem solely from a personal point of view - I want my money back, and I want it right now. And when they can’t get their way they become abusive. 

A few things to consider. I am certain that cruise companies business continuity risk assessments will have identified something like this - but I doubt that a board would be able to recommend to shareholders that such a reserve could be withheld on the balance sheet - bearing in mind it would be after tax money distributable as dividends.

Sure, big companies in financial strain can be allowed to go under - but as was the case with the banks, the overall impact has to be considered. The amount of value destroyed would be irrecoverable. Many of the shareholders will be pension funds and investors, what about the creditors - suppliers and service providers, the employees and all the supply chain associated with the industry? 
If there are bailouts, IMO the bailouts need to be repaid, preferably with interest, which I don’t believe was done from the financial crisis.

Now to find out how to deal with us 3/14 cruisers who had no choice but to sit and wait until the last minute to cancel and take the FCC. While NCL was sitting on the decision, time was ticking and the cruisers of 3/14 were faced with “take the FCC or nothing at all.” Hoping NCL does the right thing and provides those of us in this situation a full refund/the same 125 percent FCC as those whose cruises are just days after ours. Especially with their record of  fraudulently inducing people to enter into a contract by promising that coronavirus was no problem and at all. 

Correct. With one major exception. It says the policy applies for guests who are “currently booked” with voyages starting 3/13.

Yet those of us cruising on 3/13, 3/14 and 3/15 were facing the 48 hour use it or lose it “peace of mind” policy. We had no choice but to choose something/anything over NOTHING. 

Put simply, those of us booked in this limited time frame were given the choice of flying on an airplane, staying in a hotel, and waiting around to find out whether or not our cruise would be cancelled. It seems the way this is worded, that would be the only way to avail yourself of this “new” policy.

We chose not to fly or otherwise jeopardize our family to wait around in a hotel in Miami to find out if NCL would do the right thing. On 3/12, with NCL STILL running their boats, we reluctantly took what was offered and don’t have a current booking. 

Just a day later NCL decides to cancel. But a lot of us on those 3/13 to 3/15 cruises don’t have a “currently booked” cruise anymore. Can we get a refund and the same credit as those who decided to ignore the warnings and cruise anyway? 

Hope you’re right, it’s just poor wording, and all this is a non-issue. 

Edited by nolegal22