Voyagers club 3 year rule?

Skier52

Anyone know of any information regarding going beyond three years between your last cruise and your next cruise because a cruise is cancelled.

e.g.

If your last cruise was ended 05  May 2017 and your next cruise, due in April, is cancelled. What will happen to your points and status if you can't cruise, for whatever reason, before 04 May 2020?  

Maybe MSC will use it to cull a lot of status matched members, or do you think they will do the decent thing and extend the rule to 4 or even 5 years?

My opinion:  their cut off of one's cruiser's status after a certain time is guest unfriendly.   Corporate friendly?  Surely.  MSC is a company that is still adjusting to the North American cruising  market.  MSC has made adjustments to their product in North America since they chose to enter the competition.  That will continue, I believe.  The current crisis that cruise lines are experiencing in bookings may accelerate such.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just received this email:

LET'S KEEP DREAMING TOGETHER

Dear MSC Voyagers Club Member,

The unfortunate developments related to the coronavirus crisis over the past few months have made it difficult to travel – and even worse – have made our own lives more challenging in sudden and unexpected ways.

During this difficult time, MSC Cruises remains sensitive to the needs of its guests, its employees, and naturally you: our Voyagers Club member.

For this reason, I have decided to extend your member benefit by a year. Guests like yourself, who cherish traveling and cruises and wish to continue dreaming with us, are going to be able to do so by keeping the same member points and status for an extra year.

If your card is already expired in 2020 or is set to expire in 2020, its validity will be automatically extended to December 31, 2021 with its point balance and status remaining intact.

We will make it through this together, and we will welcome you on board once again as soon as you are ready, to continue exploring new destinations and cultures. We will soon send your way extraordinary offers and fascinating, new itineraries.

Lastly, I thank you for both having chosen us in the past, and for your numerous messages of affection and solidarity. On board our ships, we have shared unique memories and emotions and became part of a big family that loves the sea and traveling with MSC Cruises.

Let’s keep dreaming together.

As did i today.

But here's my question:

My current expiration says 30/01/2021

Does this mean now I have until January 30th of 2022 now??

I was not sure if this was only for people who had a 2020 expiration??

1 hour ago, Debde said:

As did i today.

But here's my question:

My current expiration says 30/01/2021

Does this mean now I have until January 30th of 2022 now??

I was not sure if this was only for people who had a 2020 expiration??

yes you get the extra year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The unfortunate developments related to the coronavirus crisis over the past few months have made it difficult to travel – and even worse – have made our own lives more challenging in sudden and unexpected ways.

During this difficult time, MSC Cruises remains sensitive to the needs of its guests, its employees, and naturally you: our Voyagers Club member.

For this reason, I have decided to extend your member benefit by a year. Guests like yourself, who cherish traveling and cruises and wish to continue dreaming with us, are going to be able to do so by keeping the same member points and status for an extra year.

If your card is already expired in 2020 or is set to expire in 2020, its validity will be automatically extended to December 31, 2021 with its point balance and status remaining intact.

We will make it through this together, and we will welcome you on board once again as soon as you are ready, to continue exploring new destinations and cultures. We will soon send your way extraordinary offers and fascinating, new itineraries.

Lastly, I thank you for both having chosen us in the past, and for your numerous messages of affection and solidarity. On board our ships, we have shared unique memories and emotions and became part of a big family that loves the sea and traveling with MSC Cruises.

there is alre

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Already a thread on this

I received this e-mail as well and appreciated it.  The Chairman of MSC, Mr. Vargo, also sent an e-mail.

During this health crisis, no e-mails have been received by me from Ms. Jan Schwarz, the President of Princess Cruises or Mr. Orlando Ashford, the President of Holland America Lines.  

4 hours ago, neptuno said:

"Lets keep dreaming together".  Dont forget how MSC gypped us last time they changed the rules:  Getting to Black or Diamond is like the myth of Sisyphus.

NO it isn't, some of us have done it the hard way by actually paying to cruise with them; and what's more have continued to accumulate points with no goal. To date i have 29000 points and am hoping that some of the perks that have been removed from the top level might be returned

we have lost

1) 20% discount on any cruise deal you could find

2) A Bottle of Moet and Shandon per member

3) complimentary laundry service

4) 20 USD gaming chips

5)complimentary best category. upgrade

6) complimentary dinner per member ( not per cabin as now)

and other  relatively inexpensive, but nice to have, perks

all so they could give top tier status to anybody 

Pete

Edited by Skier52

5 hours ago, Skier52 said:

NO it isn't, some of us have done it the hard way by actually paying to cruise with them; and what's more have continued to accumulate points with no goal. To date i have 29000 points and am hoping that some of the perks that have been removed from the top level might be returned

we have lost

1) 20% discount on any cruise deal you could find

2) A Bottle of Moet and Shandon per member

3) complimentary laundry service

4) 20 USD gaming chips

5)complimentary best category. upgrade

6) complimentary dinner per member ( not per cabin as now)

and other  relatively inexpensive, but nice to have, perks

all so they could give top tier status to anybody 

Pete

Totally agree with you. 

I like that we maintain our status for the extra year. I think that is very fair.

For what its worth....

on B2B on Meriviglia in Feb--at the Diamond party--the CD Gene commented that whether one had sailed with MSC since the inception of the company

OR 

was new to the company---- they appreciated ALL of the avid cruisers

AND
made the comment that there are those who have been working/employed with MSC since the beginning-- or like him--are new to MSC (shorter # of years)

SO

the "I did it the hard way"  puuulease... 

MSC is looking for avid cruisers and trying to skim the cream off the top. Its a good move for them.

How long will it last.. no one knows.

Given this viral season and lack of cruising--I suspect they will keep the program of matching for a bit longer.

There are plenty of cruise companies out there.

Which survive remains to be seen.

It seems every cruise line board has some pax complaining right now about that company's policies.

Will they go to other lines?

Will MSC pax complaining here go to other lines? 

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 1

Well if Gene said it of course it has to be true! I also recall another CD from Princess many years ago who soon realised that like many others he was a manager in name only. Some people are so easily conned by cheap talk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

I like that we maintain our status for the extra year. I think that is very fair.

For what its worth....

on B2B on Meriviglia in Feb--at the Diamond party--the CD Gene commented that whether one had sailed with MSC since the inception of the company

OR 

was new to the company---- they appreciated ALL of the avid cruisers

AND
made the comment that there are those who have been working/employed with MSC since the beginning-- or like him--are new to MSC (shorter # of years)

SO

the "I did it the hard way"  puuulease... 

MSC is looking for avid cruisers and trying to skim the cream off the top. Its a good move for them.

How long will it last.. no one knows.

Given this viral season and lack of cruising--I suspect they will keep the program of matching for a bit longer.

There are plenty of cruise companies out there.

Which survive remains to be seen.

It seems every cruise line board has some pax complaining right now about that company's policies.

Will they go to other lines?

Will MSC pax complaining here go to other lines? 

CD Gene made it very clear when I heard him speak that MSC's business model for the North American market was to offer very attractive reasons for those of us who have been loyal to other cruise lines to try the MSC product.  Was the ability to utilize my HAL 5 Star Mariner and Princess Elite status for Diamond status on MSC the deciding factor on making my booking on MSC Meraviglia?  No.  It was "the frosting on the cake".  And, a

31 minutes ago, sidari said:

benefit that I enjoyed and will be an influencing factor in future cruise bookings.  

33 minutes ago, sidari said:

Well if Gene said it of course it has to be true!

Do you know this gentleman?  I have sailed with him on more than one cruise.  Surely, like all of us, he could be wrong in what he says.  My impression of him is that he "tells it like it is".  He is genuine.  

Surely, you are entitled to your opinion of Gene.  I have sailed with CDs who were "phonies" in my opinion.  Gene is not one of them.     

On 3/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, Skier52 said:

yes you get the extra year

Skier,  How do you know they'll get the extra year?

The letter from MSC says "If your card is already expired in 2020 or is set to expire in 2020, its validity will be automatically extended to December 31, 2021 with its point balance and status remaining intact."

Debde stated that his/her card is due to expire on Jan 30, 2021 so it's not clear, at least to me, that the extension would automatically apply since the MSC letter only mentions extensions for cards that have or will expire in 2020.

I'm not a lawyer, but the devil is in the details...

3 hours ago, Av8tor said:

Skier,  How do you know they'll get the extra year?

The letter from MSC says "If your card is already expired in 2020 or is set to expire in 2020, its validity will be automatically extended to December 31, 2021 with its point balance and status remaining intact."

Debde stated that his/her card is due to expire on Jan 30, 2021 so it's not clear, at least to me, that the extension would automatically apply since the MSC letter only mentions extensions for cards that have or will expire in 2020.

I'm not a lawyer, but the devil is in the details...

The letter is clearly addressed to me and it states they will extend my benefits by 1 year

During this difficult time, MSC Cruises remains sensitive to the needs of its guests, its employees, and naturally
you: our Voyagers Club member.

well that's my take on it

i tried to log in to my VC account and see if they have updated my details but i can't log in ta the moment

Pete