Silver Shadow

Lirio

We are aboard Shadow now, nearly 10pm. Still docked albeit not meAnt to sail until 11pm local time. At 12 noon two ambulances arrived. Eight paramedics then changed into white bio suites op to tale. The local fuel guys who have been feeling the  Shadow all day got face masks from the ambulance crew that they wore rest of the day. Ship doctor and nurse appeared on shore wearing face masks.then Captain..no face mask. A passenger male eventually taken off in one of the ambulances with an oxygen mask. Presumably wife also debarked. Captain  announced over tannao that a guest debarked and tests were to be done at local hospital re Coronavirus. ...Meanwhile all shore leave and guests on board to be denied going ashore. Captain then updated at4 pm that they were  awaiting outcome of tests re disembarked male. We were not meant to sail until 11pm tonight Local  time. However Captain announced that meanwhile the gang plank was being withdrawn and shore leave for crew and passengers was refused. Chronicles delivered to suites tonight front page says tomorrow at sea...which is correct with the cruise itinerary but ...Subject to Change.!? So will we eventually  make it to Bridgetown   a minor change around date, or onwards to FLL and onwards to Lisbon and further onwards to BCN. Appreciate SS is in a fast moving fluid scenario but to us fare paying passengers who boarded before the new cancellation terms came into force,  what  are you doing to help us in the immediate/current fluid scenario and then also looking forward. It seems that you have forgotten guests who were expected and indeed had faith in the company to travel (with no Contradictory advise from their own countries health/govt departments and indeed no offer of cancellation opportunities) For the future as later advertised. The Captain has just announced10.30 pm local time that we are not allowed to sail and that we will remain docked until at least tomorrow morning. So our schedule has already been impacted and our freedom as guests (and also crew) curtailed.

According to the news, the man, 78 from Canada, was initially considered to have had a heart attack, but local doctors considered that it could be covid-19, and he was taken to hospital and exams were done. yet, according to the news the man had cough, difficulty breathing and fever.

Inevitably, given the increasing numbers of asymptomatic people right now who will board ships without triggering a health alert, there will be increasing number of passengers taken ill during sailings. 

Furthermore, latest data suggests that the virus is most infectious just before and at the time that symptoms start and for a 4 days after. 

Add to that the likelihood that true infection rates are at least 10 times the confirmed rate - and in countries like the US and UK where testing is inconsistent probably even higher - then it would be a miracle if a cruise sailing now didn't have a carrier on board. 

Without the political clout of the cruise industry I think ALL lines would be compelled to lie dormant until the pandemic is under control. Especially considering the age groups of cruisers is at the older end of the demographic range. It's really hard to think of a more virus-friendly environment than a cruise ship. I just don't understand why cruising is not shut down right now. Other than money, of course. 

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Inevitably, given the increasing numbers of asymptomatic people right now who will board ships without triggering a health alert, there will be increasing number of passengers taken ill during sailings. 

Furthermore, latest data suggests that the virus is most infectious just before and at the time that symptoms start and for a 4 days after. 

Add to that the likelihood that true infection rates are at least 10 times the confirmed rate - and in countries like the US and UK where testing is inconsistent probably even higher - then it would be a miracle if a cruise sailing now didn't have a carrier on board. 

Without the political clout of the cruise industry I think ALL lines would be compelled to lie dormant until the pandemic is under control. Especially considering the age groups of cruisers is at the older end of the demographic range. It's really hard to think of a more virus-friendly environment than a cruise ship. I just don't understand why cruising is not shut down right now. Other than money, of course. 

WOW. Wish I was this smart. Maybe one day.

According to the newspaper, the Globe, 381 pax and 291 crew will be held in their cabins until the results of the examination of the "elderly" passenger( who was in hospital) is released. At that time the situation will be reassessed. 

The ship was to have left port at 11 pm.

19 minutes ago, Sodashire said:

Captain just made another announcement that we still have to remain in our suites and apologies for the situation

I just heard the same from a fellow passenger.  I hope results from the passenger taken off are released soon, so that cabin confinement can either end, or you all learn what the next steps will be.  

Thank you for keeping us updated.  Best wishes to you all!

Hello all from the confines of the same cruise as Lirio who has summarized our situation so well.  My only difference is that I understood Capt Arma to say  the 2nd passenger’s disembarkation was unrelated to the flu or another virus.  He sounded so exasperated over the non receipt of information from the authorities.  Other than this current predicament, the voyage from FLL to this port has been great with mostly excellent weather.  Even Port Stanley was good with clear skies & 65 degree temps. 

Now that we’ve been hanging out in our cabin for less than 12 hours with room service, a little bit of room to spread out & a balcony to get fresh’ish air, I’m in awe of the Princess pax who endured days of uncertainty, many in inside cabins & with children!   Who knows what our eventual outcome will be but as long as the booze & food hold out we’ll muddle through.  Fingers crossed please.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Fingers crossed please.  

Fingers and toes crossed for you all!

Just an FYI... the Brazilian SES (State Health Dept.) is reporting the female passenger removed today was presenting symptoms of Coronavirus, including a fever and difficulty breathing, in addition another unrelated health condition (which I assume was a pre-existing condition).

We look forward to you and SodaShire's updates when available.

10 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Hello all from the confines of the same cruise as Lirio who has summarized our situation so well.  My only difference is that I understood Capt Arma to say  the 2nd passenger’s disembarkation was unrelated to the flu or another virus.  He sounded so exasperated over the non receipt of information from the authorities.  Other than this current predicament, the voyage from FLL to this port has been great with mostly excellent weather.  Even Port Stanley was good with clear skies & 65 degree temps. 

Now that we’ve been hanging out in our cabin for less than 12 hours with room service, a little bit of room to spread out & a balcony to get fresh’ish air, I’m in awe of the Princess pax who endured days of uncertainty, many in inside cabins & with children!   Who knows what our eventual outcome will be but as long as the booze & food hold out we’ll muddle through.  Fingers crossed please.  

I am not in the cruise, I live in Rio de Janeiro and I follow SS as I have a cruise late may. I am reporting from the newspaper. I will keep an eye in all newspapers for the news related to ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2