Silver Shadow

Lirio

Our laundry just arrived too, but only one guy...I feel cheated.

tried calling reception regarding our temps being taken tonight. But they have no idea when they will come a knocking. At least I can answer door in night attire that has just been returned after two days. The knocking on the door is becoming the excitement of the day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hls22 said:

SS haven't even informed me yet that she's ill (I'm her next of kin). 

Sorry to hear of your sister’s illness and I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

As you doubtless know, every passenger must give an emergency contact before sailing.  If you were listed as her emergency contact, the SS silence is terrible.  Otherwise, how could SS be expected to know all family members of guests?

My next of kin is definitely not my emergency contact for such purposes, and I would be very upset if s/he were contacted by SS in such a situation. 

his22  I am so  sorry to hear of  your  sister - patient  2. Captain said it was  abdominal  pain!  Possibly  not?

I  hope it is not serious.  Have  you been kept informed?

My  cabin is still sweltering and  I  rang for the 4th time and was informed  it is because  they are  not using  airconditioning  but supplying fresh  air. Obviously this reduces the  virus transmission considerably so we  must put up with  it. The truth at  last.[Why now 11 hours  ago? ]

I  dread the  thought of  going  north like this -if we  do.

I wonder what  Silverseas  intends doing with  us longterm. Where will we end  up?

No  mention  of contingency plans.

I am  Australian  and   our DFAT  [Foreign  Affairs]  thinks we are in a  stable  situation  and is not doing anything at  this  stage  unless  we become  ill or  run out of medications [thank goodness I am not on  any. ]

Things could change. I  have  taken  my  own  glassware and  cutlery and will wash  them  myself to reduce contact.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozzibroad said:

his22  I am so  sorry to hear of  your  sister - patient  2. Captain said it was  abdominal  pain!  Possibly  not?

My  cabin is still sweltering and  I  rang for the 4th time and was informed  it is because  they are  not using  airconditioning  but supplying fresh  air. Obviously this reduces the  virus transmission considerably so we  must put up with  it. The truth at  last.[Why now 11 hours  ago? ]

I wonder what  Silverseas  intends doing with  us longterm. Where will we end  up?

I am  Australian  and   our DFAT  [Foreign  Affairs]  thinks we are in a  stable  situation  and is not doing anything at  this  stage  unless  we become  ill or  run out of medications [thank goodness I am not on  any. ]

Things could change. I  have  taken  my  own  glassware and  cutlery and will wash  them  myself to reduce contact.

1 hour ago, Ozzibroad said:

Hi Ozzi, where are you from in Australia? I visited Australia a long ago in 2006. I went to Sydney and then drove from there to Melbourne by the mountains (Blue Mountain, if I remember well). From Melbourne, we drove the Great Ocean Road. We loved everything

My husband, who worked several years in the mining company, went to Australia many times to Brisbane and Perth. A cousin, working for BHP, lived in Perth for more than 10 years. Both, my husband and my cousin are now retired.

My daughter lives in Auckland and we are planning a trip to Australia to visit Uhuru.

Is this your first time in Brazil?

Keep going!

8 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Shadow. Explorer. Braemar and a Costa cruise trying to go to Marseille

Spins, are you sure that the two SS ships are sailing for France?  I can only imagine how many days that will take the Explorer from the Chilean Fjords.

good morning.

As per the newspaper today Braziliam Authorities + Silversea are working on a plan to let the passenger ou of the ship in a safe way. Hope this will come to an end soon.

https://oglobo.globo.com/sociedade/coronavirus/canadense-passageiro-de-cruzeiro-retido-no-recife-testou-positivo-para-coronavirus-1-24306054

In meatime those inside the ship that want to chat about movies, films, trips, places, books, whatever, I am here available. 

• Like 2

Captain just announced that no new cases of illness for the last 24hours, which is good news. The first man taken off, they had to wait for the test to go to Rio. They have asked for a second test. Still awaiting second result. Still not news from lady taken off and her test. 
meanwhile guests by deck will be allowed out on deck for an hour in morning and an hour in afternoon/evening for one hour each time. Not allowed to touch outside bar etc but the crew will be able to serve us. Very good news for those on deck 4 especially.

still to keep 1 metre apart.

They are still in touch with local authorities and SS. So understandably the Captain and his team is a very busy, but stresses that they will do all on board to keep us comfortable.

WELL DONE CAPTAIN and crew

• Like 4

Hi Lirio,

I  did a  cruise  up the  Amazon   out of  Manaus years  ago, andhad  a few  nights in  St Paulo. A  great  experience on the Amazon. I  cannot recall which vessel.

Yes, the Captain  just made the  announcement. I  will get some fresh  air in 30  minutes time. Must  get ready.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sodashire said:

Captain just announced that no new cases of illness for the last 24hours, which is good news. The first man taken off, they had to wait for the test to go to Rio. They have asked for a second test. Still awaiting second result. Still not news from lady taken off and her test. 
meanwhile guests by deck will be allowed out on deck for an hour in morning and an hour in afternoon/evening for one hour each time. Not allowed to touch outside bar etc but the crew will be able to serve us. Very good news for those on deck 4 especially.

still to keep 1 metre apart.

They are still in touch with local authorities and SS. So understandably the Captain and his team is a very busy, but stresses that they will do all on board to keep us comfortable.

WELL DONE CAPTAIN and crew

Great news!

Stumble the only ship going to Marseille was the Costa one.

No news on Silversea ships

The Braemar was at anchor somewhere in the Caribbean last I heard.

Hope all aboard both Silversea vessels are ok,  as well as the pax on the other two vessels.

We continue to keep you in our thoughts!!

Edited by spinnaker2

Fellow inmates...enjoy your freedom. We will be sprung at 11 & 6.  Hallelujah & hope the rain lets up. We are also very warm in our cabin & I appreciate your explanation. We always travel with a small fan, mainly because I like the white noise, so we have better air circulation. Have you requested a fan?  I think they usually have them available.  

The staff is beyond amazing & are certainly concerned about their own exposure. We have always made a crew fund donation & this one will certainly reflect our deep appreciation.  If any of you are first timers, please be aware that this is an option open to us for this purpose.  I cannot even imagine what the folks in the laundry dept are going through with all the sterilization procedures. 

cheers to all...

Here’s the notice on the US Embassy Brazil website:

Notice on Silver Shadow cruise ship

The U.S. Consulate General Recife is monitoring the situation with the Silversea Cruises Silver Shadow cruise ship and is in contact with Brazilian authorities regarding the well-being and safety of U.S. passengers.  If you are concerned about a U.S. citizen on the ship, you may contact the consulate at RecifeACS@state.gov.  Please include the passenger’s name, date of birth (day/month/year), passport number (if available), cell phone number, and email in your response.

21 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Stumble the only ship going to Marseille was the Costa one.

No news on Silversea ships

The Braemar was at anchor somewhere in the Caribbean last I heard.

Hope all aboard both Silversea vessels are ok,  as well as the pax on the other two vessels.

We continue to keep you in our thoughts!!

Hi Spins,  not sure if you know but we have 1 Carnival ship that sails from here in Jax…..well, as of this morning

our port is going to be home to 2 more ships...….and that is because their home ports (MIAMI) is too full! 

• Thanks 1

for the advice  re  the fan. I wondered they were not offering one.

I  live in SE  Queensland , Australia, an d am  used to the  heat  but in the cabin with  no air  movement it is so  oppressive.

We  have  just had our 1  hour  of freedom. It was  raining lightly  to moderately  but  about 20+ soggy  passengers  beat  their way  around   a track of  approx  250  metres  repeatedly, along with  myself, for   almost the  whole  hour, then  I sat near [not with] some  friends for  a cup of  VERY  hot coffee. We had to return to  our  cabins to  let  the next group  out at 11 am. We  are  released again at 4 pm

The  captain  has  advised that we  have  adequate food  on  board  but asked  us not to  over-order, which is sensible.

The  rain and overcast sky   has cooled the ship down somehow.

Just received a letter from Captain to UK residents sharing a message from the British Consulate General Rio, collaborating with us to coordinate the next steps and confirm onward travel arrangements.

”we are in touch with the Brazilian authorities regarding the Silver Shadow cruise ship and stand ready to provide consular assistance if requires.” Then giving a contact number in Rio.

also lunch has been a bit better.with staggering the outside ‘freedom allowance” through the early part of lunch, less pressure on the galley, and not so long to wait for the food. Also like dinner the last two days we have been given and extra couple of choices per course. So things starting to settle in our new ‘prison’ environment.

Again well done to the Captain and all the on board crew. Let’s hope Silversea management in Florida and Monaco do as well. In the 26 years of Silversea, their land staff to date have never achieved the excellence of the at sea staff.