Silver Shadow

Lirio

This sounds promising.  I did get a call from Reception earlier asking about travel out of the US prior to embarkation in Jan.  So maybe there is movement. Meanwhile, there is a new procedure for meal ordering involving a limited choice set menu during peak time & room service menu off peak. This crew is beyond amazing !

• Like 2

I got the call from reception as well . I've been in Brazil 2 weeks today staying at Fasano pre cruise. I feel that we will be going back to the states soon too. My 93 yo mother fell and broke her hip right after I boarded and was flown to Duke Medical. My brother had come up to take my place helping my mom and dad so it has been hard on us all. He is not familiar with things like I am since I live close by. They are both in healthcare at Duke and we have not told them of my situation so as not to worry them .Here is hoping for a good resolution for us all. Hope you get to feeling better Roma !😌

We are from the U.K. but have had no such phone call. On boarding we were asked to fill in a questionnaire as to how long we had been in Brazil and where we stayed. Before leaving the U.K. we had to state where we had been for the previous 15 days

11 hours ago, Thaxted333 said:

Hi all, is there an english version of that link? I do hope that it means some of you will get home soon. 

Here is the text.  

The more than 600 passengers and crew on a Bahamas-flagged cruise ship, isolated since Thursday in the port of Recife due to a case of coronavirus, will begin to return to their countries by plane, the Ministry of Health said.

"We are going to solve the problem of the ship that is in Recife. We have two Uruguayans and two Argentines inside the ship (...) We will receive these South Americans and continue their isolation in Recife before sending them to their countries of origin". said the ministry's executive secretary, João Gabbardo, at a news conference.

"This is the position of Brazil, we will receive these people. The others will leave by plane from tomorrow (Tuesday) and return to their countries of origin", he added, without specifying the duration or details of the Operation.

According to press reports, the people on board the ship are 18 nationalities, most of them from the United States and the United Kingdom.

Recife officials last Thursday ordered the vessel to be quarantined with 608 people on board - 317 passengers and 291 crew members - after a 78-year-old Canadian was considered a coronavirus suspect for having a fever, cough and breathing difficulties.

Soon after, authorities confirmed that the passenger, who is being treated at a private hospital, tested positive for Covid-19.

In Brazil, 234 cases of coronavirus were registered until Monday, with no fatalities, and 2,064 suspected cases.

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am from The USA...…..I live in the state of Florida.

Thank you, you must be dreadfully worried about the changing situation in USA. I'm hoping that when I'm allowed to fly that I will have no problems getting home, though it will be a 30 hr journey!

5 hours ago, Peter&Kathy said:

Here is the text.  

The more than 600 passengers and crew on a Bahamas-flagged cruise ship, isolated since Thursday in the port of Recife due to a case of coronavirus, will begin to return to their countries by plane, the Ministry of Health said.

"We are going to solve the problem of the ship that is in Recife. We have two Uruguayans and two Argentines inside the ship (...) We will receive these South Americans and continue their isolation in Recife before sending them to their countries of origin". said the ministry's executive secretary, João Gabbardo, at a news conference.

"This is the position of Brazil, we will receive these people. The others will leave by plane from tomorrow (Tuesday) and return to their countries of origin", he added, without specifying the duration or details of the Operation.

According to press reports, the people on board the ship are 18 nationalities, most of them from the United States and the United Kingdom.

Recife officials last Thursday ordered the vessel to be quarantined with 608 people on board - 317 passengers and 291 crew members - after a 78-year-old Canadian was considered a coronavirus suspect for having a fever, cough and breathing difficulties.

Soon after, authorities confirmed that the passenger, who is being treated at a private hospital, tested positive for Covid-19.

In Brazil, 234 cases of coronavirus were registered until Monday, with no fatalities, and 2,064 suspected cases.

Thank you. I'm guessing you are all still on board?

Hi all, I want to thank each one of you for your support, best wishes and hugs. It has really helped me. I'm pleased to inform you that I am now out of ICU, still in a private room. I even got hot coffee with my meal tonight! 🙂. The Consulate are being really helpful to me so I hope that all the other British passengers and crew are being helped too.

Do keep your messages coming on here, it's good for me to still feel part of the Silversea family (does that sound really silly?).

• Like 3

Hi Roma,

I am so  glad to hear that you are out of  ICU and  on the  mend.

It is wonderful that you  can get hot coffee. As an  addict  I was very sympathetic to  you.

Sadly  though, you are not enjoying the  room service we  have  here on the Shadow!  You  are missing th e copious  Heidsieck  supplied.   Maybe the coffee is better though.

Over the  last 24  hours we have been advised  only 1  bottle of  champagne  permitted  per meal session  ! 

I wonder who could drink  more?

You know, I saw you  beside the pool the day before you were taken  ill and you seemed OK, It must have taken you down so quickly.

Keep  improving  and  I hope you are home soon.

Cheers

Wendy

30 minutes ago, Thaxted333 said:

Hi all, I want to thank each one of you for your support, best wishes and hugs. It has really helped me. I'm pleased to inform you that I am now out of ICU, still in a private room. I even got hot coffee with my meal tonight! 🙂. The Consulate are being really helpful to me so I hope that all the other British passengers and crew are being helped too.

Do keep your messages coming on here, it's good for me to still feel part of the Silversea family (does that sound really silly?).

Hi Roma, it does not sound silly at all:classic_smile:...we could all be in your shoes....so we need to have empathy.

So glad you are out of ICU:classic_biggrin:

44 minutes ago, Ozzibroad said:

Hi Roma,

I am so  glad to hear that you are out of  ICU and  on the  mend.

It is wonderful that you  can get hot coffee. As an  addict  I was very sympathetic to  you.

Sadly  though, you are not enjoying the  room service we  have  here on the Shadow!  You  are missing th e copious  Heidsieck  supplied.   Maybe the coffee is better though.

Over the  last 24  hours we have been advised  only 1  bottle of  champagne  permitted  per meal session  ! 

I wonder who could drink  more?

You know, I saw you  beside the pool the day before you were taken  ill and you seemed OK, It must have taken you down so quickly.

Keep  improving  and  I hope you are home soon.

Cheers

Wendy

Yes wendy, my temp went from normal to 40 C in about an hour, I wasnt feeling too well at that point, actually I remember little of it. I recall have icy cold cloths on my head, throat and under arms as paracetamol was not bring my temp down. Until around 10.30 pm I felt perfectly ok! Just one bottle of champagne!! Do send your leftovers to me please. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m so pleased that you’re on the mend Roma. Ozzibroad is it just the champagne being rationed? I’m glad you’re able to keep a sense of humour. Best wishes to all onboard. 

That was my thought also, no more than 3 bottles a day, or are you allowed a nightcap?

Wish  I could send it. I have  had  enoughhhhhh 

They came  around  to our cabins with a  big slice of  St Patrick's day  sponge cake  with green  4  leaf  clovers in  icing  tonight .

I  stood  at my door and  chatted with Rolf and  unfortunately  forgot the  cake  on the plate and it fell on the floor leaving  a huge creamy  splodge.At least  it saved me  a few  hundred calories.

I  managed to clean  up the mess from the carpet.

• Haha 1

No, no spirits at all they said  and  on e bottle of  wine  per  session. I don't  know if this  applies to  couple too  but that is what singles  get. I  think  there may  have been  a few minor  mishaps on the  voyage due to  sozzled  mariners,, but nothing  like  the  footballers  cruises. 

I am  trying to take   appositive view  of this cruise. It will be an  adventure to relate to  friends and relatives, possibly with a  little embellishment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Ozzibroad said:

No, no spirits at all they said  and  on e bottle of  wine  per  session. I don't  know if this  applies to  couple too  but that is what singles  get. I  think  there may  have been  a few minor  mishaps on the  voyage due to  sozzled  mariners,, but nothing  like  the  footballers  cruises. 

I am  trying to take   appositive view  of this cruise. It will be an  adventure to relate to  friends and relatives, possibly with a  little embellishment?

You know, I've always said (and have 20 years experience on SS) -- if nothing happens, what do you have to talk about when you get home?

Ye Gods!  I couldn't have imagined anything like this!   I am so sympathetic to all those who have had these experiences which have impacted the lives of you and your loved ones....but this too shall end, and we will look forward to future cruises with our beloved Silversea.

I have been quiet thus far... but am not happy with the news article I read this morning by an Australian woman onboard, Bobbie Roberts. 

I don't agree with most of what she has said.  

And, I believe that everyone onboard has dealt with this situation as best they could under these conditions, and with this WORLD WIDE CRISIS.

I have been so impressed with Silversea... Silversea will remain my cruiseline of choice.

The captain asked for our patience and discretion... this woman crossed the line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, voyageur said:

I have been quiet thus far... but am not happy with the news article I read this morning by an Australian woman onboard, Bobbie Roberts. 

I don't agree with most of what she has said.  

And, I believe that everyone onboard has dealt with this situation as best they could under these conditions, and with this WORLD WIDE CRISIS.

I have been so impressed with Silversea... Silversea will remain my cruiseline of choice.

The captain asked for our patience and discretion... this woman crossed the line.

Here is a link - she didn't write the article, so it's a piece of journalism.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-18/coronavirus-strikes-cruise-ship-with-adelaide-passenger-stranded/12066270?pfm=sm

The Shadow is just one of two Silversea ships in this sort of nightmarish scenario.  On the other side of the continent the Explorer is also mired in quarantine.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2