Silver Shadow

Lirio

Correct.  She did not write the article.  But she was apparently quite willing to have the publicity and sent a photo of herself apparently in her suite. 

I don’t doubt that the situation is challenging for Ms. Roberts.  But her account expresses no concern/empathy for the crew who must be hugely challenged by this situation and who may well face losing their jobs.  

In fact, ships from cruise lines other than Silversea are also affected.  Here’s a link to the Washington Post article referenced in an earlier post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/03/17/cruise-ships-around-world-are-scrambling-find-open-ports-passengers-stuck-coronavirus-shutdown/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I  believe Bobby's  comments are  probably  factual and  not related so much to the Silverseas  handling of this  matter since  the signal event on  board, but to the  lead -up.

I too, and  others  I  know, had the same dilemma- to come, or do  our  considerable  financial outlay, not only cruise  but airfares and  incidental  costs .

I  do believe that   they could  have been more pro-active with  their cruise  management  before the cruise   and   am sure they now regret  this as it  must be  costing a  squillion  to  maintain  us  and  to arrange our repatriation.

I would   however  like to commend the  company, the  Captain and the crew for  how they have  managed the ship and  its  passengers to maintain our wellbeing and  a very  high standard of meals within our  cabins since our confinement .  I have  never eaten so  much lobster or  drunk so much French  champagne  in  my   life . In fact  I now crave  a bit of  bread and  butter and  an  apple. We  have an  extensive  menu, room service for snacks and  cappuccinos and  a same day  laundry service. 

They are doing  everything possible  to keep us comfortable.  I believe that if people had  tried to  keep further  apart  on deck we  might still be allowed  out, but we  did not  [ 2  metres is the usual  standard although we were told  one]. I saw  many closer than one metre.

The crew themselves are at considerable  risk  in doing this and  have always been cheerful, courteous and  attentive.   The  Captain et al  are working to get us out of   a difficult situation.They are all   making the  best of  a bad situation  and when we  are home I hope we will remember the good parts of our trip . 

Although disappointed we  will have to  make the  most of our  situation  and be positive about  an early  return  home.

Maybe some  costs are re-imbursable  and  my Silverseas  agent in Sydney has indicated that we  may  get some form of  compensation.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Roma

Yippeee.

Coffee!

Chocolate must be next.

Glad you are better.

Believe it or not a friend of the manager of my travel agent (got that?) lives in Recife and he came in to visit me today and brought............chocolate! So, I've never met this chap before. Wasnt it wonderful of him to come in to visit? He originates from a town about 15 miles from where I live so it was great to hear a local accent. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, englishusa said:

Roma: Just to let you know that, when you get back to Ireland, all the pubs have been closed! ( Even on St Paddy's day!)

Tee hee 😄😄. Its a good job I'm a secret drinker then isn't it! 😂😇

23 minutes ago, Thaxted333 said:

Believe it or not a friend of the manager of my travel agent (got that?) lives in Recife and he came in to visit me today and brought............chocolate! So, I've never met this chap before. Wasnt it wonderful of him to come in to visit? He originates from a town about 15 miles from where I live so it was great to hear a local accent. 

There u go!

Chocolate!!

11 minutes ago, englishusa said:

Top o'thr Morning to you sir!

Ha ha, I'm female 😄

May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

The rains fall soft upon your fields and,

Until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thaxted333 said:

That's so lovely, and thanks so much for letting us know how you're doing. And yay for chocolate.

Carolyn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzibroad said:

I  believe Bobby's  comments are  probably  factual and  not related so much to the Silverseas  handling of this  matter since  the signal event on  board, but to the  lead -up.

I too, and  others  I  know, had the same dilemma- to come, or do  our  considerable  financial outlay, not only cruise  but airfares and  incidental  costs .

I  do believe that   they could  have been more pro-active with  their cruise  management  before the cruise   and   am sure they now regret  this as it  must be  costing a  squillion  to  maintain  us  and  to arrange our repatriation.

I would   however  like to commend the  company, the  Captain and the crew for  how they have  managed the ship and  its  passengers to maintain our wellbeing and  a very  high standard of meals within our  cabins since our confinement .  I have  never eaten so  much lobster or  drunk so much French  champagne  in  my   life . In fact  I now crave  a bit of  bread and  butter and  an  apple. We  have an  extensive  menu, room service for snacks and  cappuccinos and  a same day  laundry service. 

They are doing  everything possible  to keep us comfortable.  I believe that if people had  tried to  keep further  apart  on deck we  might still be allowed  out, but we  did not  [ 2  metres is the usual  standard although we were told  one]. I saw  many closer than one metre.

The crew themselves are at considerable  risk  in doing this and  have always been cheerful, courteous and  attentive.   The  Captain et al  are working to get us out of   a difficult situation.They are all   making the  best of  a bad situation  and when we  are home I hope we will remember the good parts of our trip . 

Although disappointed we  will have to  make the  most of our  situation  and be positive about  an early  return  home.

Maybe some  costs are re-imbursable  and  my Silverseas  agent in Sydney has indicated that we  may  get some form of  compensation.

We have very special friends aboard the Whisper. They are really great fun people from Manchester that we met on a previous Silversea Cruise. I am really worried about them starting to lose their sense of humor. Not like them at all.

Seems they are  told one thing and then it changes. They didn't seem to think the Captain was involved  enough in keeping the passengers posted and they don't get an answer on phone calls.

Is this what you have observed. Seems they need a really good PR person to fill the passengers  in on keeping the passengers informed on a continual basis. I am sure that this is a logistics nightmare but keeping passengers informed can only help.🙄

2 hours ago, Thaxted333 said:

Ha ha, I'm female 😄

May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

The rains fall soft upon your fields and,

Until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

My apologies to a sweet Colleen!

I certainly agree. Our Captain  started ring each passenger  last  night. At  about 3  minutes per  passenger and  4-500 passemgers  this is  a formidable  task. He also has the ship too run. he woul d never get a sleep if he tried to do this  repeatedly, however,  a newsletter to  the  major   National  groups  outlining what has  been done   and what  we are waiting on  would be  very  helpfu

l  We have about 3  announcements per day from the Captain   and  a few from  Moss but  they are  not detailed.

Most people on  board are quite intelligent and  understanding of the problems so it would not  hurt to divulge  a little mor of what is going one.

We are on the Whisper as World Cruisers.  The Captain has been outstanding, always keeping the guests informed as soon as he is able.  The crew from top to bottom are unfailingly cheerful, efficient and caring despite their uncertain future.

The only problems seem to have been caused by difficulties from the Miami office being closed over the weekend and the time difference.

Anybody who could possibly consider that they had had anything other than wonderful treatment in this appalling situation, is not sailing on the same ship as us.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ozzibroad said:

I certainly agree. Our Captain  started ring each passenger  last  night. At  about 3  minutes per  passenger and  4-500 passemgers  this is  a formidable  task. He also has the ship too run. he woul d never get a sleep if he tried to do this  repeatedly, however,  a newsletter to  the  major   National  groups  outlining what has  been done   and what  we are waiting on  would be  very  helpfu

l  We have about 3  announcements per day from the Captain   and  a few from  Moss but  they are  not detailed.

Most people on  board are quite intelligent and  understanding of the problems so it would not  hurt to divulge  a little mor of what is going one.

I have to say that perhaps a 3 minute call from the captain to me would have meant a great deal, thexship has my phone number after all. I certainly am a sensible person, but I am being excluded from the information that you are all getting. I have seen on other social media that you have all received a note signed by the captain.

I do know that I am just one person out of several hundred, but I am one of the two people in hospital and it hurts to not be given information and those little personal touches that makes Silversea special. While you are getting laundry done, I am washing my one change of underwear in the bathroom basin in my room (sorry to be a bit intimate with that, but I think it needs to be said).

I will continue to sail with SS and am already booked on a cruise on the Muse in May 2021 but I'm a little disappointed to be 'left out'. Sorry for 'butting in' on this thread but I was reading it and just getting really upset. 

Roma

25 minutes ago, firtrees said:

We are on the Whisper as World Cruisers.  The Captain has been outstanding, always keeping the guests informed as soon as he is able.  The crew from top to bottom are unfailingly cheerful, efficient and caring despite their uncertain future.

The only problems seem to have been caused by difficulties from the Miami office being closed over the weekend and the time difference.

Anybody who could possibly consider that they had had anything other than wonderful treatment in this appalling situation, is not sailing on the same ship as us.

I was talking about the Shadow not the Whisper. I love Silversea, just booked our third cruise so I am not against Silversea just seems this particular cruise could have been handled better. I am no there but do trust my friends judgment.

I do not know your friends and I am very sorry to know that they feel this way.  I reiterate we couldn't be more satisfied with the wonderful caring treatment we have received from all at Silversea and particularly those on board the Whisper.  I believed your friends you quoted were referring the Whisper.

Roma,

I am so sad  that you have been left  out. Rest assured however  that our Captain has kept up to date with  your progress and  several  times  announced how you and the  positive gentleman  are going.

It is  a pity  you did not  know this.

1 hour ago, firtrees said:

Currently on the Whisper and totally agree with your post. Unfortunately some people are just too panicky or demanding.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ozzibroad said:

Roma,

I am so sad  that you have been left  out. Rest assured however  that our Captain has kept up to date with  your progress and  several  times  announced how you and the  positive gentleman  are going.

It is  a pity  you did not  know this.

I'm so sorry to say that I will not be joining you all today as you disembark. I'm quite sad about this and my Dr understands that I'm feeling quite low. Please, please do keep your messages on this forum so that I can pretend that you are still with me.

I hope you all, from whichever country, get home quickly and safely and that none of you gets ill on your return home. You will be in my thoughts and my prayers and I humbly ask that I can remain in yours.

God speed

Roma