Upgrade Surprise

Cruise Raider

4 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

Those of you who are receiving upgrades, are you also already booked with EZair?

I’m also looking for something in common for a clue on how the computer might choose passengers or bookings to upgrade. We haven’t booked EZair yet and haven’t received an upgrade offer either. Anyone else like that?

3 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

I’m also looking for something in common for a clue on how the computer might choose passengers or bookings to upgrade. We haven’t booked EZair yet and haven’t received an upgrade offer either. Anyone else like that?

I'm Canadian like you. No upgrades like the ones mentioned here. LOL 

My upgrade is from OV to OC on a 15 day sailing in October. Not thrilled with the reassignment.I don't usually book as Aft as 717.  Can only guess it's luck o the draw for how these latest upgrades are awarded. Like plying slots? You win some, you lose some. Congratis to those who lucked out so well. The cruise industry has a long way to go before we can all come back new.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

We didn't have EZ air as the cruise port is just a few miles from where we live.  

We did get the upgrade ...

So far, from what I can tell but, I welcome comments where this isn't correct:

The cruise where the upgrades were given have all been later this year 

They are sailings that were already booked before this crisis 

They aren't long cruises 

My questions are:

Were these only given to passengers that had a recent cancellation?

Does captain's club status have anything to do with this the upgrade?

Or ... are these just computer generated and there is no rhyme or reason? 

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We didn't have EZ air as the cruise port is just a few miles from where we live.  

They aren't long cruises 

My questions are:

I think your final answer is how it goes. Random, moSt oF the time.

I am a loyal Princess cruiser.  My cruise bookings are for September and October 2020. I cancelled my cruise for May2020 at the final payment deadline in February.

In this past year, I have been working with a PVP, but previously booked most cruises directly on line. I have never been I able to Crack the code on how upgrades are doled out. One upgrade I received from I C to BC was when I booked with a first timer.

For my last few trips, 2015 - 2019, I have paid for several upsells, including to a sweet suite! That's my experience. I hope this helps us to understand, it's not really personal? LOL 

Edited by CruzeQueen2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

I think your final answer is how it goes. Random, moSt oF the time.

I am a loyal Princess cruiser.  My cruise bookings are for September and October 2020. I cancelled my cruise for May2020 at the final payment deadline in February.

In this past year, I have been working with a PVP, but previously booked most cruises directly on line. I have never been I able to Crack the code on how upgrades are doled out. One upgrade I received from I C to BC was when I booked with a first timer.

For my last few trips, 2015 - 2019, I have paid for several upsells, including to a sweet suite! That's my experience.

My upgrade was for a cruise that was booked directly with Princess, as were the past upsells and move over offer I've received.  Maybe that??  

It doesn't look like Captain's Club status has anything to do with it.  Further back in the post, looks like a first timer got an upgrade.  We've had 27 sailings with Princess and also got an upgrade ... so, think you are right ... no rhyme or reason.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

They aren't long cruises 

My questions are:

I don't think it's Captain Circle related, our entire group was upgraded for one cruise and they are Gold, Platinum and Elite, we were booked side by side originally, bookings linked. We all had OK to upgrade.

One cruise booked by Princess Rep, One cruise booked by PVP. The PVP one was upgraded first and has the better upgrade. 

One cruise booked January 2nd and the other early February. I thought at least one was booked last year, but I double checked-I was wrong.

They are shorter cruises, one 10 day one 7 day. 

I don't know what caused the upgrades, but we love them and hope to be able to go on those cruises. I'm fearful the Alaska cruise isn't happening. 

maybe I should email my crack PVP and say I am thinking about cancelling … unless I get the comp upgrade from an inside to at least an OB … and yes, booked directly with Princess, and have accepted both an upsell, and a move-over ...

glass half-full … will prolly just ride it out and see what happens - 8+ months ...

22 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

I don't think it's Captain Circle related, our entire group was upgraded for one cruise and they are Gold, Platinum and Elite, we were booked side by side originally, bookings linked. We all had OK to upgrade.

One cruise booked by Princess Rep, One cruise booked by PVP. The PVP one was upgraded first and has the better upgrade. 

One cruise booked January 2nd and the other early February. I thought at least one was booked last year, but I double checked-I was wrong.

They are shorter cruises, one 10 day one 7 day. 

I don't know what caused the upgrades, but we love them and hope to be able to go on those cruises. I'm fearful the Alaska cruise isn't happening. 

Well, that shoots my theory ... 

I also hope my Alaska one goes off without a hitch ...it's later in the season ... but if not, I will understand.  It's for a big birthday ... one ending in a zero.  I sure hope I get to go.  I booked it from a move over offer so won't be worth much if they cancel it.  As it stands, to me, it is priceless.  Keeping my fingers crossed ... but again, they need to do what they need to do so, I will keep an open mind.  

I must say, I am very impressed with how Princess is handling this whole thing.  While I see some people complaining that they should have gotten more more more ... I'm happy with how they are handling it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

They aren't long cruises 

My questions are:

We got our June upgrade notice the day before our March cruise was cancelled.  We had not yet purchased airfare because fo the current situation    I did look Friday and R/T LAX to London was $500(ish)  hmmmm  still not brave enough to buy airfare yet.....

• Like 1

Thank you for all the stories. I'd like to agree, upgrades don't appear to follow any patterns, so, random at best. The glass is still half full, and especially wonderful on the first day, after muster drill.  Perched on a stool at the Vines bar, meeting fellow cruisers and making friends with the bartenders there, is a great way to start.  Made so many great friends there.

To complete my story I'd like to add that I have also experienced a move over offer, several upsells and a suite upsell on my birthday last year that ended with a zero. 😉 What a blast that was, with my two sisters. No husbands, no flying , no line ups- so very memorable ! Loved every minute, every morsel. With that experience we have now been spoiled with club class, a double balcony, specialty restaurant dining for breakfast, and a wonderful birthday cake to boot. It was Golden, to be sure.

9 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I posted this on another thread but we were upgraded on the Ruby for December ... obstructed OV to a premium balcony midship.  Nice surprise!!  

So far, looks like these upgrades are happening for pretty much everyone on sailings booked for this year. 

We haven't been upgraded. Cruise is scheduled mid-October.

We have received 4 separate upgrades on our Sky transatlantic in September, we started in an interior IB and are now in a mini suite MC, we are feeling very blessed!

The first couple of upgrades were before the corona craziness hit. We are one elite and one platinum, and have never had an upgrade before. We booked direct with Princess (as we always do) - the upgrades really do seem to be completely random.

• Like 2

We have received an upgrade from an interior to balcony on the 26 day Sky transatlantic this fall.  We just got off the Star from Hawaii last week so not exactly sure when we were upgraded but know it was while we were on the cruise. 

I do believe believe these upgrades may be an indication of where Princess thinks fares may be headed. When I look at current prices for the balcony cabin I received compared to the price I had made the original booking for the interior late last year the difference is not significant.

The balcony price does look higher but comes with a $300 OBC per person which makes pricing much closer to original interior booking. If I re-fared the original booking for the interior there would be a $500 savings per person. 

Could it be that Princess is trying to maintain the original revenue we booked at versus re-faring to a much lower price.  I believe if we try and re-fare we would loose our upgrade. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

is an upgrade something that randomly happens or something that one signs up to be able to get? princess does this or your TA does this?  And when and where does one sign up if they need too register? thanks  

8 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

All of them that we've every gotten, with Princess or other cruise line, have just come out of the blue. This massive round of upgrades from Princess must be to help keep people from canceling their bookings.

Although it comes out of the blue, at the time you book a Princess cruise you should be asked if you would accept an upgrade. Your choice is "would accept" or "would not accept." If your Princess agent or your travel agent did not ask, then the default answer is "will accept."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caribill said:

Although it comes out of the blue, at the time you book a Princess cruise you should be asked if you would accept an upgrade. Your choice is "would accept" or "would not accept." If your Princess agent or your travel agent did not ask, then the default answer is "will accept."

I am surprised by the travel agents that don't ask this.  I always choose a meta upgrade only.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, funcrusier said:

We have received an upgrade from an interior to balcony on the 26 day Sky transatlantic this fall.  We just got off the Star from Hawaii last week so not exactly sure when we were upgraded but know it was while we were on the cruise. 

I do believe believe these upgrades may be an indication of where Princess thinks fares may be headed. When I look at current prices for the balcony cabin I received compared to the price I had made the original booking for the interior late last year the difference is not significant.

The balcony price does look higher but comes with a $300 OBC per person which makes pricing much closer to original interior booking. If I re-fared the original booking for the interior there would be a $500 savings per person. 

Could it be that Princess is trying to maintain the original revenue we booked at versus re-faring to a much lower price.  I believe if we try and re-fare we would loose our upgrade. 

Bingo! I think what you have described makes sense. Upgrades may be given when the price you paid initially is closer to a higher category. Saves the company from the refare request. I watch prices quite closely, so I may be "controlling" my own destiny a little too closely. With my history of accepting several upsell offers, it would appear that the computer sends that offer to me, before giving out a complimentary upgrade. I always ask the TA or PVP to make my booking with -"would accept an upgrade". Perhaps my file also lists me with "passenger will accept an upsell", instead! Fascinating stuff. 

13 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Bingo! I think what you have described makes sense. Upgrades may be given when the price you paid initially is closer to a higher category. Saves the company from the refare request. I watch prices quite closely, so I may be "controlling" my own destiny a little too closely. With my history of accepting several upsell offers, it would appear that the computer sends that offer to me, before giving out a complimentary upgrade. I always ask the TA or PVP to make my booking with -"would accept an upgrade". Perhaps my file also lists me with "passenger will accept an upsell", instead! Fascinating stuff. 

The cruise on which I was upgraded has not gone down at all in any category.  The next one actually did go down but, by only a couple hundred dollars and not nearly enough to get me to the next category.  I wasn't upgraded on that sailing but no complaints from me as I was able to take advantage of the price drop.  

20 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The cruise on which I was upgraded has not gone down at all in any category.  The next one actually did go down but, by only a couple hundred dollars and not nearly enough to get me to the next category.  I wasn't upgraded on that sailing but no complaints from me as I was able to take advantage of the price drop.  

Still an element of randomness, most likely. Thank you for the information.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bazandgiz said:

We have received 4 separate upgrades on our Sky transatlantic in September, we started in an interior IB and are now in a mini suite MC, we are feeling very blessed!

The first couple of upgrades were before the corona craziness hit. We are one elite and one platinum, and have never had an upgrade before. We booked direct with Princess (as we always do) - the upgrades really do seem to be completely random.

Four upgrades for a single cruise?????????????

I think this is hilarious.   Good for you.  Have a great cruise.

Of course, now we have to start a Cruise Critic Competition.  (Please do not abreviate that.  We don't want uninitiated readers to be confused thinking that you meant Civilian Conservation Corps.)  Has anybody ever received more than four upgrades for a single cruise?  The winner gets bragging rights.  Currently, Bazandgiz is leading and has still has six more months to compete.

• Like 3

We got upgraded from IB inside to E624 obstructed balcony. We are on Sky February 8, 2021 10 days Southern Caribbean cruise. It seems early to do upgrades that far ahead but we will take it especially because we paid for IF inside under 3 for free and got IB. 

• Like 1

As a Brit with over 20 Princess cruises under our belt we’ve NEVER had an upgrade. 

what’s the secret? 😉

We don’t get OBC or any perks, and we lose our deposits if we cancel.

Recently enquired about changing from an outside to a balcony on our May 23rd cruise, when we thought the cruise was still on, as we thought if we were quarantined we’d prefer to have access to fresh air, but they wanted £250 EACH! We said thanks, but no thanks! 

congratulations to all those who get upgraded. Hope you get to enjoy them! Fingers crossed.

We have been upgraded to a mini-suite on the deck directly under the Lido pool deck on Sky Princess. We had a balcony on deck 10 near the very back of the ship before the upgrade. Our question/concern is whether the noise from moving chairs/lounges and the early morning pool area cleaning will be noticeable in our cabin. We don't sleep late, but how early does this process occur? Thanks to all. 

6 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Four upgrades for a single cruise?????????????

I think this is hilarious.   Good for you.  Have a great cruise.

Of course, now we have to start a Cruise Critic Competition.  (Please do not abreviate that.  We don't want uninitiated readers to be confused thinking that you meant Civilian Conservation Corps.)  Has anybody ever received more than four upgrades for a single cruise?  The winner gets bragging rights.  Currently, Bazandgiz is leading and has still has six more months to compete.

I know, it's like winning the lotto over and over! Do you think we can make it to a penthouse suite before the upgrades finish? Not being greedy or anything... :P